Forums » The Lounge

Things that anger me while reading 'Twilight'

• 57 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:35 PM EDT

Alright general answer to post time,

• I'm ignoring the bible one as that's generally a thing for some reason
    • Parents can be divorced without us knowing, it's a bit of a trivial fact that only explains why her mother's not there.
    • It's stated that she hasn't lived with her father much. Would you call a man you barely know father?
    • The paralysis while crappy can be seen as she probably didn't know the man, however, some sympathy should be found even if not knowing the guy.
    • The look debate, yes woman are trained to hate their looks. This is a book towards teenage girls, they are going to exploit this.
    • In general Bella is a blank template for girls to project themselves on to
    • Some girls do rather cry a lot, I know this from experience from both myself, and others.
    • I'm not saying this is redeeming, as being a jerk is still being a jerk, but it's likely she doesn't like people as she just moved. I know people today who still don't like to talk to people that moved a few years ago.
    • Sadly in this world pale people considered the most attractive of the people, look at magazines
    • For some reason girls liked a pained soul/fixer upper
    • People can have bad days even if the day went well. Welcome to emotions.
    • Referencing movies is what everything in modern day tends to be norm. So it's not anything to be bad about.
    • Everybody ignores people that like them for people they like more. Welcome to attraction.
    • I still look at snow like it's magic.
    • Yeah her anxiety for a missing person is odd 

All in all, while the Twilight is a bad series of drivel it isn't nearly as bad as people make it. Make no mistake, I don't like the books, however, I do not think it needs to be hated as much as it is. Mainly as many popular books, as well as, unpopular books are just as bad if not worse. My main problem with the book isn't it's negative message towards young girls, yes it has a huge bad message in the fact that it promotes men as worth more of their time than anything else, including themselves, but rather the fact that it promoted a huge uprising of the same types of books.

My hatred for the book doesn't stem from the book itself, but rather the general rise of romance YA books. I used to love YA books, but since they have found a formula that works it's gotten rather old. Yes, Twilight was a guilty pleasure of mine when it was younger, but the repetitive nature of the industry is what gets to me.

Make no mistake, it was bound to happen anyway, repetitive formulas are going to be used as they are a cash cow. All companies do this, the most noted being movie franchises, and Apple. (The IPhone anyone?)

So yeah, bad book, not as bad as the rep it gets, and perpetrator of the bane of reading. If you want a truly bad book I suggest Modelland by Tyra Banks, that's a huge shitstorm I wish I never read and can never get my time back again. 

I shall now go back to wondering why I evened bothered with this post.

• 1913 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:49 PM EDT
    She doesn't know what snow is...
    • 1913 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:51 PM EDT
    It isn't the worst thing ever written to me... There is worse... The thing that angers me is that it is so poorly written, how poorly made the movies are, and yet they make so much money... That is the thing that angers me... It makes me lose interest in writing and the idea of making movies cause why even try? If I can make a few hundred million by catering to these idiots, why try to make a well made story, why try to make something that makes you think?
    • 57 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:53 PM EDT
    Well because good stuff lasts longer. Twilight will be forgotten. We still study philosophers and people thought they were crazy.
    • 1913 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:53 PM EDT
    I don't refer to my dad as Lemonte even though I can count all the times I have been with him on two hands...
    • 57 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:56 PM EDT
    However, it is common for people to do. Remember your experiences aren't everyone else's. You are not the picture of the universe.
    • 1913 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:57 PM EDT
    You're missing the point though... If I can make hundreds of millions off of something just by pandering to people who shouldn't be allowed to use metal forks or knives, why should I even try to be remembered? That is the disheartening thing...
    • 1913 posts
    May 14, 2014 4:59 PM EDT
    If it was, it would be a lot more cynical and filled with more peace and love and pokemon/danny phantom/justice league