Forums » Elder Scrolls

If you could save one of the guild leaders...

• 2 posts
    June 9, 2015 7:36 AM EDT
    Kodak he was such a wise old man and a major contribute to the companions.
    • 1483 posts
    June 9, 2015 9:43 AM EDT

Not really, his plan was great. By crossing the Prince he also closed the conduit to Nocturnal's realm and shielded himself from her influence. 

• 1483 posts
    June 9, 2015 10:09 AM EDT

Did he? If he wanted you dead you'd be dead. He just poked you with a sword 

• 131 posts
    June 9, 2015 10:12 AM EDT

Well, the only reason you lived was because of Karliah's poison.

• 694 posts
    June 9, 2015 10:19 AM EDT

Agree. 100%. His death was the most senseless. AND I actually felt guilty like I was partly responsible for his death.

• 1483 posts
    June 9, 2015 10:24 AM EDT

You were lying there immobilized. He could've cleaved your head off and be done with it. Instead, he poked you with a sword. 

• 133 posts
    June 9, 2015 10:48 AM EDT
    He can't have been very smart if he wasn't trying to kill you, since you are the essential part of his downfall.
  • June 9, 2015 10:48 AM EDT

He clearly tried to kill you. He didn't know the effects of Karliah's poison slowed the bleeding. Side note: Karliah is an idiot too. She couldn't wait literally 10 seconds for me to get out of the way or I don't know...repositioned?

• 1483 posts
    June 9, 2015 11:08 AM EDT

^ So much this 

The second part that is. I still don't see why didn't he simply decapitate the Last Dragonborn  Although, one possible explanation I see as if he thought that TLB is already dead from Karliah's poison and poked him with a sword to see if it is the case. 

• 184 posts
    June 9, 2015 12:54 PM EDT

True dat, what would be the real purpose of keeping you alive? Did he want to gloat in your face particularly as he pried out the Eyes of the Falmer? Did he want to see if he could really thwart a Daedric Prince? Was he testing Nocturnal or Karliah or you? All of those sound pretty dumb to me.

• 8 posts
    June 9, 2015 3:28 PM EDT

To be fair, Kodlak spent his twilight years trying to evade Hircine, yet death came before that happened. Given that it was the Silver Hand who slain him, I can't help but think Hircine had a hand in that. I know Werewolves are his creatures, but he does love it when a chase it turned inside-out, as "Ill Met by Moonlight" taught us. :)

TL;DR: It's not like the others were any smarter.

• 8 posts
    June 9, 2015 3:36 PM EDT

For me, I'd second Kodlak Whitemane. Certainly the most honourable leader; he cares the most for his people, too, whereas the others barely acknowledged the existence of theirs. I suppose it's kind of ironic; the one leader who doesn't call himself a leader is the guy who acts the most like one.

• 268 posts
    June 9, 2015 3:44 PM EDT
    It's gotta be Mercer. Savos never struck me as all that 'Archmage-y' and Astrid just irritated me for some reason. Kodlak was awesome, but I only completed the Companions once so I haven't got that much experience with him. His voice is epic though :D

The Thieves Guild questline has so many flaws anyway, it's absolute shit compared to the Oblivion variant (which was freaking awesome and exactly what a thieves guild questline should be). The Thieves Guild were little more than thugs living in a pub, who were supposedly some of the greatest thieves (yet we never see them do anything but bitch?).

Imagine if we could join Mercer in that final fight, or perhaps earlier so we never have to get mixed up in that 'selling your soul' bullshit... I couldn't stand the second half of the Thieves Guild questline, but joining with Mercer and taking on Karliah/Brynjolf would totally make up for it. Almost like we set it up to take out two of the Guild's leaders...

Then he could teach the Dragonborn how to truly use the skeleton key, and we could pick those claw puzzle doors! So many missed opportunities there...
    • 694 posts
    June 9, 2015 3:47 PM EDT

^RIGHT HERE. Yes. 

• Zig
    • 3 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:03 PM EDT

I had a lot of respect for Savos Aren but getting his robes were pretty cool 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:09 PM EDT

Nope.

• 159 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

Kodlak is must for someone live on. A second choice I think would be  Gallus Desidenius. Gallus was the former guildmaster of the Thievesguild until he was killed by Mercer Frey.

• 557 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

I've had quite a bit of time to think about this, and even then my answer is a bit odd. The person I would save isn't exactly a guild leader, though people do follow him.  

Miraak. I wanted nothing more than to be able to team up with this bastard. His knowledge of Dragon Shouts are useless if he dies!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:28 PM EDT

Yes.

Miraak was a lackluster villain, but an interesting character.

• 2 posts
    June 9, 2015 5:34 PM EDT
    Astrid and mercer betrayed the dragonborn and their guilds, while kodlak was fighting in the companions honour and died defending them,Savos aren was the reason of his own death by ignoring the orders warnings about the eye.So obviously kodlak is my choice.
    • 237 posts
    June 10, 2015 8:23 AM EDT
    Only Kodlak. The other guild leaders have some major baggage and/or they're Chaotic Stupid. We as players are kinda sorta the reason Kodlak dies. D:

Plus I'm a better archmage :P
    • 295 posts
    June 10, 2015 8:46 AM EDT

Because I have done the questline so much, yeah, another vote for Kodlak here. I STILL get a bit misty in the eyes when I read his journal, though not so much when the protagonist was named Mr. Buttons. There's a noble sadness to the Old Man that kinda tugs at the heart strings. The way he just kinda sits in his chair waiting for you to kill the Glenmoril Witches. ARGH!! *sniff, sniff*

I've only done the TG once or twice, but I hate the last half too. Would have been totally fun to stick it to Nocturnal and join up with Mercer. 

• 24 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:02 PM EDT

So I think, overall, we've all established that the best guild buddy we'd all save (dictating on the number of people choosing this person) would finally be... Kodlak Whitemane.

He's strong, reliable, and knows how to hold his own. But, obviously, numbers can overwhelm. All he wanted was to drink in the swimming pools of Sovngarde mead and he couldn't even achieve this without the help of his fellow mates. If I were given the choice, I'd sacrifice myself in a heartbeat if it involved this old man. I'd raise my shield in his honor and stand back-facing-back so that this world might never overtake us.