Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lotr and Elder Scrolls

• 3 posts
    December 21, 2014 2:57 PM EST

What characters from Lotr are like characters from any of the Elder Scrolls games?

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 21, 2014 3:42 PM EST

Your phrasing is wrong.

"What characters from Elder Scrolls are like characters from the Lord of the Rings?"

Lord if the Ring precedes TES.

• December 21, 2014 3:52 PM EST

I'll bite. 

Morrowind is Mordor. Both are awful places, and both are ruled by devils. :P

• 3 posts
    December 22, 2014 2:55 AM EST

It's a minor error, the discussion still stands.

• 3 posts
    December 27, 2014 1:52 PM EST

Hehehe, yeah I was kind of thinking Morrowind was Mordor too.

• 133 posts
    December 27, 2014 6:29 PM EST
    After sauron was defeated, the race of men took over mordor and it became bright blue skies and grasslands I think.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 27, 2014 6:53 PM EST

If you include Rhun as part of Mordor. Rhun was always fertile grasslands surrounding the Sea of Rhun. What people consider Mordor is usually the furthest western areas around Mount Doom and Barad-dur. That was inhospitable, but Sauron ruled over the men who lived further east for centuries, and their land was always fine.

• December 28, 2014 4:04 AM EST

Thorin Oakenshield-Ulfric Stormcloak

Theoden of Rohan-Balgruuf the Greater

Whitch-King of Angmar-Dagoth Ur

Aragorn-Martin Septim

Legolas Greenleaf-Faendal

Denethor-Igmund

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 28, 2014 5:29 AM EST

Are you characterizing based on appearance, personality, or actions?

• December 28, 2014 10:41 AM EST

In a way, all of them. Not necessarily for every character, but all of them.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 28, 2014 6:06 PM EST

I like the Théoden and Balgruuf comparison, but I think the Legolas-Faendal is true to the extent they're elves who use bows.

Witch-King and Dagoth Ur is pretty nice too, but Dagoth Ur wasn't really the servant to a greater power.

Which makes me think of comparing Mannimarco to Sauron.

Powerful magic-users who served entirely evil masters in the past, but their masters were destroyed. Both associated with necromancy, and both portrayed themselves to their followers as gods, and both defeated but not entirely destroyed.

• December 29, 2014 2:23 AM EST

I don't know...Faendal's aditude seems familiar to that of Legolas. The Mannimarco/Sauron comparison is true on many levels, though.