Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why are the food in crypts so fresh?

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 7:57 AM EST

True, but the mountain water doesn't shouldn't have to be boiled, but maybe cave water? Or animals watering holes?

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 7:59 AM EST

Hmm that's a good idea but draugr are kind of bound to their crypts in order to feed the dragon priests with their life force.

• 856 posts
    February 12, 2014 8:04 AM EST

Adding to Ben's list, because it's always bothered me:

Why do I get only one serving of venison from a deer, etc., etc.

I solve that problem often by cooking at a friend's house. I'll use their supplies (salt, veggies, et. al.) and role-play that I fed myself and their entire family - leaving the 'left-overs' there, except for one serving I take with me on the road.

• 19 posts
    February 12, 2014 8:09 AM EST

Ha! No one has figured out that I'm the one who's replacing all the rotten food with fresh apples 

• 856 posts
    February 12, 2014 8:16 AM EST

Ha... Like that Khajiit from Oblivion that placed items in barrels; you sneak into the tombs and place out food just before we enter, except no one knows you were there.

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 8:34 AM EST

Wont the draugr just wreck him before he even gets halfway

• 19 posts
    February 12, 2014 10:39 AM EST

Would the draugr kill someone who's bringing them fresh food?
    Don't think so, it saves them tons of septims and they won't have to apply for a job to pay for it 

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 11:17 AM EST

Before you go there you have to ask, how will the draugr distinguish between a human ally and human enemy? Pretty much anything on two legs that isn't undead gets killed.

• 661 posts
    February 12, 2014 1:30 PM EST

Addin' to the list of Whys...

Why do I need a whole bowl of salt to cook a strip of salmon? Or anything else for that matter! So unhealthy when you think about it.

• 661 posts
    February 12, 2014 1:33 PM EST

When you think about it.... Nah nevermind. I can't answer this question. It's like asking how mudcrabs mate, and reproduce in the short amount of time after you hunt them. Or anything for that matter!

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 1:43 PM EST

Hell how do most of skyrim animals not become extinct.

• 661 posts
    February 12, 2014 1:44 PM EST

The Gods on high spawn their asses!

• 19 posts
    February 12, 2014 1:50 PM EST

Well, I since their brains are quite... rotten, it's pretty easy to make them think that you're one of them!
    Just follow the steps on my little checklist that I've made for this job:

- Walk like a draugr   -----> just move really slow
     - Sound like a draugr -----> "Aav Dilon!"
     - Think like a draugr   -----> Scratch that, don't think at all!
     - Look like a draugr   ------> wear ancient nord armor
     - Smell like a draugr  -----> don't bathe for a few months

It worked great for me so far 
    (I'm no longer welcome in cities though... I wonder why)

• 163 posts
    February 12, 2014 5:24 PM EST

Oh the guards must just love commenting on your smell 

• February 12, 2014 6:07 PM EST
    The're offerings from their decendants. The cripts all look the same to Hillgrund's Tomb IMO. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Hillgrund%27s_Tomb
    • 185 posts
    February 12, 2014 6:15 PM EST
    Maybe the draugr are giving a small part of their energy to keep food fresh?
    We don't have a dragon priest for every nordic ruin.
    • 163 posts
    February 13, 2014 12:49 AM EST

I guess that's possible for the food early on, but what about the food around the boss room area?

• 163 posts
    February 13, 2014 12:50 AM EST

Also a good idea, but that be-gets the question, do draugr really need to eat?

• February 13, 2014 8:00 AM EST
    They "needed" some time ago... Very long time ago...
    • 185 posts
    February 13, 2014 8:25 AM EST
    They're keeping the food fresh for the members of the family who may visit the tomb?
    • 856 posts
    February 13, 2014 8:47 AM EST

I would not collect water from a watering hole. But those mountain springs are mostly formed from ice melt - probably safe to drink. Centuries ago much of earth's fresh water was safe to drink, as long as you weren't near any large communities of people (and not down stream from a hog farm or some such).

(and there are practically no rivers in Skyrim - just creeks and streams )

• 163 posts
    February 13, 2014 9:17 AM EST

But what do they get from this? Their alligance is to a dragon priest, in the absence of one they may yield to the strongest among them, so where does the family fit in?

• February 13, 2014 9:36 AM EST
    Maybe they hoped to return as a living person some day, but where deceived by the Dragons... Poor Nords...
    • 32 posts
    February 13, 2014 10:33 AM EST
    "Frost salts"
    • 163 posts
    February 13, 2014 10:49 AM EST

They knew what they were getting into, they willingly go and pass on life force so they are not the victims here.