Forums » Elder Scrolls

One race to rule them all?

• July 10, 2013 10:03 PM EDT

Why then, during the dragon war, did man die by the thousands, and only did man win by using the voice?

• 69 posts
    July 10, 2013 10:07 PM EDT

The technology used by the Ancient Nords would have been far inferior to the imperial legion's, and also the Nords were fighting against Dragons, Dragon priests and followers of the dragons.

• July 10, 2013 10:17 PM EDT

What technology does the empire have that the ancient Nords don't? Both their weapons are made of steel or iron, and the armor is the same basically. 

Nobody can stop fire from the sky by conventional means. 

• 69 posts
    July 10, 2013 10:21 PM EDT

Shor, sorry i cannot give a decent example, but surely their technology would improve somewhat over thousands of years?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 10, 2013 10:21 PM EDT

Also, the Imperial Legions are much more disciplined.

• July 10, 2013 10:26 PM EDT

yeah, they were real disciplined at Helgen...

what's discipline going to do against a Dragon? what are they going to do when their shields are burned? what are they going to do when they run out of arrows? Two or three dragons flying around, raining ice or fire, burning the flesh so it melts or freezing it like stone and shatters...there is no discipline for that...  

• 69 posts
    July 10, 2013 10:30 PM EDT

1st dragon in thousands of years, which were just thought to be make belive perviously, comes and land on a tower right in front of them. If i was a professional soldier i would run! you can't blame them for being undiscplined there. 

• 19 posts
    July 13, 2013 7:01 PM EDT

The Redguards have by far the highest chance. They practically bleed warfare as much as the Nords do, and are downright ruthless.

In fact, if all of the Redguards and Nords teamed up, they could not only push back the Aldmeri Dominion but conquer the whole of Tamriel, Black Marsh included. Not that it's likely they'd try.

• 209 posts
    July 18, 2013 5:18 AM EDT

But the Redguards are rarely unified.

• July 18, 2013 7:30 AM EDT

I think its quite unfair to leave out diplomacy. This is a huge handicap for imperials. Its just like leaving out magic for Altmer. Or Archery for Bosmer. Or sneaking for Khajiit. If diplomacy, alliances and truces would be allowed, the Imperials would surely be the last race standing. Look at the barbarian Nords. They can't even bring justice upon the murderer of their own High King. How are they supposed to conquer all of Tamriel?

Discipline, diplomacy and strategy are the key to conquest.

• 209 posts
    July 18, 2013 7:37 AM EDT

I agree ! Diplomacy is a very valid tool for ascension to a position of power.

• 69 posts
    July 18, 2013 7:40 AM EDT

I know it was quite unfair and all, and it does leave out major deciding factors for some races, but I didn't want people saying things like-

"The Imperials would win because the nords would help them since they are (or were) part of the same empire."

and also the Imperials have their Discipline and strategy anyway so it isn't a massive loss to them. 

• 89 posts
    July 18, 2013 8:22 AM EDT
    I agree with Pelinal Whitestrake, no diplomacy handicaps most notably imperials but other races as well. It really comes down to significant racial traits and logistics, I'd probably lean towards Altmer.
    • 19 posts
    July 18, 2013 8:54 AM EDT

If it is just a big free for all, there would be no race that would take over 100%.  There is always someone, somewhere who will be able to counter the best another race can bring to the table.  Each race has weaknesses that would keep them from being able to take over no matter how big the strength.

• 209 posts
    July 18, 2013 10:48 AM EDT

I feel Dunmer would win this battle because I like them.

• July 18, 2013 10:54 AM EDT

that's a terrible reason...

• 209 posts
    July 18, 2013 11:01 AM EDT

Oh is it :(

• July 18, 2013 8:12 PM EDT

It is a massive loss.

Arguments like this must be held objective. If someone comes and says: "Yay the high elves win because they use magic to wipe out everyone and your argument is invalid, I am the best lol" you can't argue with him. So is saying the Imperials will win because they can build truces with whoever they want. They just can't. But on some occasions, they are able to win a war or a battle by diplomacy. Now we can discuss if this is enough to conquer all of Tamriel or if another nation is superior.

• July 22, 2013 12:36 AM EDT

You call the Nords barbarians. Look at the world- the real world-'s history. Anytime that one group of people ruled over another for extensive amounts of time (England in Africa, Britain in India), when the rulers were eventually driven out, the natives had a hard time ruling themselves.

Look at the Nords. They've been ruled over since the beginning of the third Era. That's roughly a thousand years. The Nords are a warrior people at heart; do you think being ruled over for a thousand years would change that? But ruling is a different idea entirely. Look at the system of Holds. They are all independent, but answer to one High King. Flashback to Oblivion. If you committed a crime in any city, the guards would fight you all over the place. How would the Nords know justice and legality and morality when they've had a mother country watching over them?

The Empire needs to fall so that the races can learn how to handle themselves. Because, state of the Empire: Rebellions. 

• 91 posts
    July 22, 2013 5:00 AM EDT

In all honesty it'd probably just end in a stalemate if every race went toe to toe at once without allies.

Altmer are strong magicians, but they breed extremely slowly so even losing one soldier would be bad for them. All in all their numbers are probably the lowest of any race on Nirn. Not to mention they only won the great war because of the Aldmeri Dominion which isn't just them, but the combined effort of the Bosmer and Khajiit as well.

Imperials without diplomacy wouldn't be able to hold together an empire. In fact the only reason they ever had an empire in the first place was thanks to the combined efforts of every race that joined them.

Nords would do better than most, but in the end they're just not capable of doing it alone. They're just too stubborn and don't tend to agree with one another most of the time.

Dunmer would have the same problems as the Imperials, too spread out in their capabilities without having any major strengths. The dark elves are also extremely notorious for their stubbornness and don't seem to unify well like the nords.

Redguards like the Nords and Dunmer would find it hard to unify under one banner, and despite their warrior prowess they'd be overrun.

Khajiit don't seem to have the organized military capabilities of the races of men and mer and probably wouldn't be able to put together anything large enough or strong enough to take over the world.

Bretons just don't have the military strength of the other human races, and while their magic would be devastating to many other races it'd be outdone by the Altmer's greater mastery of the Arcane arts.

Bosmer just wouldn't have the military strength to conquer anything. They're tough, but most of their abilities are just support skills at best. In an army with Imperials or Altmer they can be a great asset, but on their own they'd be outdone.

Orcs just don't have the numbers to win in a fight like this. While their strength and equipment would be a massive boon they'd unfortunately be overrun by the numbers of the Nords or Redguards.

Argonians, while my favorite race, would in fact do the worst of any of the races in this scenario. They've lost almost every major conflict they've been in, and just don't have the strength that Orcs and Nords bring or the minds of the Altmer or Bretons. Their technology is also extremely dated from most accounts, with Argonians using leather armor and wood, bone or crudely crafted metal weapons.

I will however say that the time period in which this all takes place would have a BIG impact as if we're going by Skyrim's timeline then the Nords and Imperials would be far worse off then if say we were in the time of Tiber Septim or even during the events of Morrowind or Oblivion.

• 28 posts
    July 22, 2013 8:55 AM EDT
    To me?It all comes down to who is willing to have a truce with their surronding countries,and who is willing to stab their allies in the back quicker.So I am going to go with Orcs,Redguards,or Bretons.Their overall power could conquer alot of Tamriel.

Plus Bretons should know about betrayals since they live in a hierarchical society.What greedy and self-righteous person wouldn't kill their superior to move up?

This is just my opinion,it can be proven wrong,but who else's reasoning can't?
  • July 22, 2013 9:42 AM EDT

Imperial master race

• 13 posts
    July 22, 2013 10:03 AM EDT
    I would like I say Khajiit would do well as they are truly epic, but agreeing with Matt I think that the Argonians would win truly because of defense
    • 167 posts
    July 29, 2013 11:34 PM EDT

This is a really old discussion, but I'll leave my thoughts anyways. The Orcs? Yeah, they're a lot like the Mongols, and we all know what the Mongols did..

• 159 posts
    November 20, 2013 6:02 PM EST

Khajiit.....  if organised into a formidable force with their different amounts of breeds they would a variety of advantages