Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why do people play evil characters?

• 158 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:05 PM EST

"There's not a difference between the 2 only how you perceive them"

An interesting point I can agree with.

Then again, this entire discussion is a discussion of perspective and opinion with no-one able to be right or wrong. 

• 952 posts

It is not evil as it is not happening in the real world. It's just somebody or something expressing itself in a fictional world. Evil is when thing have bad consequences in real life and somebody deliberatly chooses the worst path to follow over the better ones to maximise the amount of evil he does.

• 1913 posts
    Say Someone is an assassin, they have been raised as one since birth. Yes this person does kill people for money, but if the person only kills those who have wronged people or have broken the law then I consider their evil action a just action
  • December 28, 2012 7:07 PM EST

That's why my Vampire "justifies" it. Look at Frollo, a perfect example a douchebag who thinks amazing. He murders someone, locks Quasimodo in a bell tower, lusts over a young woman despite being a priest, and thinks he's following God's word. I fuckin' love/hate this guy, he's a brilliantly written villain. I partially based my Vampire off this guy.

• 6 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:07 PM EST

As for the people, I have no idea why they find it fun... 

I don't know, sure they might know it's wrong, but does it matter if they don't find the ideas of Right and Wrong to be of any value? If someone decides that the difference doesn't matter, then there may as well not be one.

• 14 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:07 PM EST

I've roleplayed a few evil characters. It was actually very refreshing as I normally stick to good or 'grey' characters. It meant I played the game a whole different way and allowed me to do many of the things my good characters couldnt

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:09 PM EST
    Which people in skyrim do, vampires and necromancers. People in fiction do, voldermort, Sauron, etc.. Am I arguing evil exists, no. I'm just saying that in real life people justify their reasoning more than in a work of fiction
    • 158 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:09 PM EST

and there is nothing wrong with that. I was simply addressing the question from my point of view. Of course there is no black and white here, only perspective in which everyone differs. and even though I've said all this I will still play as a good character just because it offers a different experience to an evil play through. 

This is good talk, I hope you're not taking any of it to offence or anything like that, we're all buds here!! 

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:12 PM EST
    Yeah I get that Josh, and Matthew I also love/hate frollo he is one of the best written villains in a Disney movie I've ever seen, and he has one of the best villain songs ever.
    • 952 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:13 PM EST

They are not evil as they do not excist. Their actions would however be evil if they would be real. In Skyrim they're just NPC's that make no own decisions. By your logic Bethesda is 'evil' because they are the 'evil' NPC's.

• December 28, 2012 7:14 PM EST

Of course evil exists in fiction, or has everyone forgotten about this... *Shudder*

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:16 PM EST
    Well said Ben.
    • 6 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:16 PM EST

Haha, I guess. It's just I have a pet-peeve about people subjectively labeling Right/Wrong, Good/Bad, Etc. 

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:18 PM EST
    Why Matt? I'm still a little depressed from reading those 2 chapters
    • 158 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:19 PM EST

How dare you bring such vile filth to the blog! *Does sign of cross* *spins around 3 times* *spits* 

• 52 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:21 PM EST
    I hate Twilight
  • December 28, 2012 7:22 PM EST

Pick a reason for me posting it, Josh: Because I'm evil or I'm evil, courtesy of Voltaire.

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:24 PM EST
    Are you gonna wash you're hands?
  • December 28, 2012 7:25 PM EST

No... because I'm evil God, I love the Flash.

• 6 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:26 PM EST

There you go attributing 'wrong' to things that amoral in the first place. It's still going back to how you perceive it. Leaving the refrigerator open (purposely) is evil b/c it either stems from laziness or defiance. Purposely calling him a name that upsets him is evil b/c you're doing it out of the fact that you most likely enjoy watching him be angry. While these things might not such huge consequences as some other obviously evil things that does not exclude them from being evil. Much worse things have been done with the same intentions (Laziness, Defiance, Enjoying others suffering/discomfort)

But I shouldn't get myself into a huge discussion over silly things.

• 158 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:27 PM EST

I bet you don't flush or wash your hands either Matt! 

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:29 PM EST
    More into batman myself, or snowflame (if you have no idea who that is, watch "AT4W- New Guardians #2", it's hilarious)
  • December 28, 2012 7:29 PM EST

• 739 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:30 PM EST

You can't really play a chaotic evil character in Skyrim, you wouldn't even get to become Dragonborn (you would have murdered Farengar on the spot and shoved the Dragonstone up his corpses arse).

I think you can get away with playing an evil character through your actions though...

You can paralyze an opponent and have a zombie tear them apart while their down or if your feeling really cruel do the paralysis/fear mix to make them scream in horror while your zombies tear them up! You aren't going to find that combination in a Paladins special moves are you?

I find playing an evil character fun if their skill combinations allow for it! I doubt I could use Marked for Death and not feel evil in some way, that shouts like one of the unforgivable curses from Harry Potter...

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:30 PM EST
    Well to be fair... I know how stupid I sound when I'm angry and when I think back on anything I was mad about I get a chuckle thinking about how stupid I was.