Forums » General Gaming

Gaming Mix-and-Match

    • 1296 posts
    October 6, 2018 10:29 PM EDT

    I had an interesting thought the other day. [insert long rant about the inspiration for this discussion]

    My idea for the discussion is kind of simple. Take an aspect (Characters, Gameplay, Story, UI, etc.) from a game, and essentially replace it with that aspect from another game in order to either fix that game, or kind of just make the perfect game (in your eyes). For example, replacing Dragon Age: Origins combat system with Dragon Age 2's would be the ultimiate Dragon Age experience for me. I get a much more fluid system with 2, but get to keep the better story and characters (with a few exceptions) and writing and Lore and...well you get the point from Origins. 

    Then if you wanted (and I encourage it) explain the why's and all that. 

     


    This post was edited by Dragonborn2021 at October 14, 2018 8:31 PM EDT
    • 393 posts
    October 6, 2018 11:07 PM EDT

    Any of the DA games (but especially DA2 and DA:I) with Skyrim's character leveling system would be the nearly perfect game for me. I would love to play a stealthy mage or a spellsword in those, or at least to be able to recreate the classes from the multiplayer of  DA:I. To be honest, Skyrim has almost ruined me for other games with that particular aspect.

    • 121 posts
    October 6, 2018 11:29 PM EDT

    ESO's story and massive world with the Parkour and movement gameplay of an Assassin's Creed game and the escalating pursuit of a GTA game. I'd love to see a Thieves' Guild questling where you can jump from rooftop to rooftop, pick the locks of second story windows to break in, and get away via ship while trying to escape the cannon and a mage fire of pursuers.

    • 67 posts
    October 7, 2018 3:06 AM EDT

     Pokemon with Ni No Kuni battle system. controlling youre Pokemon yourself, being able to Dodge attacks and so on would freshen Pokemon up for Me havent played since Saphire ^^ 

    Oblivion with the Gameplay of Skyrim. Great Questlines with good Combat. Dual wielding Custom Made Spells would be Great but keep Staves 2 handed i liked that :D

    Or a TES Game with Dragon's Dogmas Battle system. Casting Massive spells through a Staff Actual Fun Greatsword/Warhammer Gameplay. or Sniping Bandits with a Longbow. Man i really really Love Dragon's Dogma. :D


    This post was edited by Vezrabuto at October 7, 2018 3:13 AM EDT
    • 1296 posts
    October 7, 2018 3:24 AM EDT
    Any of the DA games (but especially DA2 and DA:I) with Skyrim's character leveling system would be the nearly perfect game for me. I would love to play a stealthy mage or a spellsword in those, or at least to be able to recreate the classes from the multiplayer of  DA:I. To be honest, Skyrim has almost ruined me for other games with that particular aspect.

    That's a tricky one for me. I think at the very least I'd like the more fluid/varied skill trees and maybe individual skills but the more... I suppose general nature of Skyrim's system (where anyone can be good at anything) wouldn't really fit Dragon Age quite as well. Dunno how to word it but I think one of the benefits of DA is that you don't generally build incredibly varied characters and tend to have a pretty solid skill set in a few things. That said Dragon Age 2 might be really nice if you could swap between Two-Handed and Sword-and-Board a bit more, would need something else to adjust it maybe? 

    It's a good one, but there are pros and cons to both for me you know.

    • 1296 posts
    October 7, 2018 3:26 AM EDT

    ESO's story and massive world with the Parkour and movement gameplay of an Assassin's Creed game and the escalating pursuit of a GTA game. I'd love to see a Thieves' Guild questling where you can jump from rooftop to rooftop, pick the locks of second story windows to break in, and get away via ship while trying to escape the cannon and a mage fire of pursuers.

    Shit that'd actually be awesome, at the very least I think having Parkour/3 Dimensional combat would add a real layer to the game and make Nightblades and Mages (of any type) a bit more interesting to play. Would personally have to throw in Assassin's Creed's 'offline' nature just personally, but it'd be a fascinating combination.

    • 1296 posts
    October 7, 2018 3:30 AM EDT

    Pokemon with Ni No Kuni battle system. controlling youre Pokemon yourself, being able to Dodge attacks and so on would freshen Pokemon up for Me havent played since Saphire ^^ 

    Damn that's ages :P I at least gave up with X and Y (stupid graphics changes) but I have always thought that a Pokemon game that's a bit more fluid would be really awesome. Dunno about Ni No Kuni in particular, but from the sounds of it, the combination would pretty much be the perfect system for me.

    Oblivion with the Gameplay of Skyrim. Great Questlines with good Combat. Dual wielding Custom Made Spells would be Great but keep Staves 2 handed i liked that :D

    Can't at all disagree with this, which is kinda why I'm so glad that Skyblivion/Skywind is a thing, not that I can play it as (basically) a console player, but still awesome.

    Or a TES Game with Dragon's Dogmas Battle system. Casting Massive spells through a Staff Actual Fun Greatsword/Warhammer Gameplay. or Sniping Bandits with a Longbow. Man i really really Love Dragon's Dogma. :D

    Oooh, that could be pretty interesting. Dragon's Dogma is definitely great and the sort of playstyle that would work well with just about any game. I do have to say I think Dragon's Dogma's main flaw there is that it's a tad too restrictive, or at least it is compared to TES Games where you can change up fighting styles on the fly, so I'd probably aim for some sort of blend between the two...Not sure how you'd pull that off, but it's still awesome :)

    • 612 posts
    October 7, 2018 6:10 AM EDT

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    Oooh, that could be pretty interesting. Dragon's Dogma is definitely great and the sort of playstyle that would work well with just about any game. I do have to say I think Dragon's Dogma's main flaw there is that it's a tad too restrictive, or at least it is compared to TES Games where you can change up fighting styles on the fly, so I'd probably aim for some sort of blend between the two...Not sure how you'd pull that off, but it's still awesome :)

    And don't forget the climbing on things. That would be amazing, climb onto a dragon and it takes flight to try and shake you off.

    • 393 posts
    October 7, 2018 8:03 AM EDT

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    That's a tricky one for me. I think at the very least I'd like the more fluid/varied skill trees and maybe individual skills but the more... I suppose general nature of Skyrim's system (where anyone can be good at anything) wouldn't really fit Dragon Age quite as well. Dunno how to word it but I think one of the benefits of DA is that you don't generally build incredibly varied characters and tend to have a pretty solid skill set in a few things. That said Dragon Age 2 might be really nice if you could swap between Two-Handed and Sword-and-Board a bit more, would need something else to adjust it maybe? 

    It's a good one, but there are pros and cons to both for me you know.

    Anyone being good at everything is not exactly what I want. I totally don't mind the racial abilities and restrictions. Just some more variety wouldn't hurt, like lockpicking and sneak as universal skills for all classes, optional weapon and armor use for mages and yes, possibility to switch between one- and two-handed for warriors and between blade and bow for rogues.  Also it would really be cool if the skill tree of my Qunari mage didn't look as if she learned her spells in a Circle.


    This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at October 7, 2018 8:04 AM EDT
    • 275 posts
    October 7, 2018 10:24 AM EDT

    The Witchers open world and gameplay with Skyrim's and Fallout roleplaying and character customization.

    • 126 posts
    October 7, 2018 11:17 AM EDT

    Mirror's Edge Parkour, with Driver: San Francisco's / Taxi open world and challenges, with a dash of Dishonoured-style Stealth System, Levelling and Trinkets for customisation and Hitman Demos' Sniper.

    Mirror's Edge had so much potential from it's inital description, and I imagined it being like Taxi bu on fot and delivering messages in time.  Driver:SF had amazing challenge modes, and to put those three together would be brilliant.  Adding in a touch of stealth would augment the game significantly for me, and Dishonoured is my favourite stealth game because of the Totem trinkets that you can get the personalise your experience just that little bit.  Here I'm thinking Having one that improves your reach in a jump, prolonged wall running, and the levelling for unlocking new abilities like being able to release a cable to get from rooftop to rooftop, and other things like that.  Throw in the Sniper demo missions from Hitman and you can have another challenge available to you and a potential for plotline.

    This is what I imagine: a game where you are courier, tasked to deliver messages across the city as part of an criminal society, and are eventually given a promotion where you have to take down the big boss of a rival crime syndicate.  You infiltrate buildings, find the nigh spot, and then set up to be able to fire down on your targets.


    This post was edited by J.D. Primrose at October 7, 2018 11:24 AM EDT
    • 55 posts
    October 7, 2018 9:25 PM EDT
    Based on what I know about it.....Cyberpunk 2077 pretty much nailed almost all these and most of the ones I would highlight except perhaps a base building element which I personally quite like.
    • 1296 posts
    October 8, 2018 1:50 AM EDT

    Anyone being good at everything is not exactly what I want. I totally don't mind the racial abilities and restrictions. Just some more variety wouldn't hurt, like lockpicking and sneak as universal skills for all classes, optional weapon and armor use for mages and yes, possibility to switch between one- and two-handed for warriors and between blade and bow for rogues.  Also it would really be cool if the skill tree of my Qunari mage didn't look as if she learned her spells in a Circle.

    Oh, yeah that makes a lot of sense. I suppose it'd be more similar to Dragon Age: Origins, but with a bit more freedom thrown in and fewer restrictions? Either way I think it's actually just the direction Dragon Age needs to go in for Dragon Age 4 (if it's a thing) to be great. But yeah, that's definitely a really great combination.

    • 393 posts
    October 8, 2018 3:18 AM EDT

    Yes, exactly that. Like DAO but with more freedom. I'd play that game forever. Unfortunately, after the ultimate fail Andromeda, I really dread to think what DA4 will be like.

    • 126 posts
    October 8, 2018 8:57 AM EDT

    Oblivion Mages Guild, but it's a Pokémon game.

    A rotation of 6 spell-pages in your grimoire (which you can switch out at a scribing station), each one levelling up as you use them and gaining new abilities which you can switch out to improve them further, such as a basic flames spell-page with up to four variants: one to burn but not initially damage, one to trap in a vortex, one with an increased chance to critically hit, one that can bypass a magical shield, stuff like that.  As you progress up the guild by challenging and defeating the masters of each magical school, you start being able to access new spells from people, level those, and repeat.  You enter dungeons, face other mages and the evil Team Worm, and escape with magical items and rare spells.  You finally challenge the master mages and the Archmage in order to become the Archmage yourself, at which point you can defend your title against challengers.

    This would be an amazing game.


    This post was edited by J.D. Primrose at October 8, 2018 8:57 AM EDT
    • 1296 posts
    October 8, 2018 8:02 PM EDT
    Yes, exactly that. Like DAO but with more freedom. I'd play that game forever. Unfortunately, after the ultimate fail Andromeda, I really dread to think what DA4 will be like.

    Urgh, it is kind of scary to think about. I mean there are aspects of Andromeda I liked, but most of them weren't exactly the key notes of a Bioware game, kind of the opposite of Inquisition for me, the stuff I liked was your normal Bioware stuff (the story, companions, lore, etc.) but couldn't stand some of the new elements they tried to work in (and the combat...that was, not great). So yeah it will be interesting if they do DA4 to see where they go, could be anything really.

    • 1296 posts
    October 8, 2018 9:41 PM EDT

    Oblivion Mages Guild, but it's a Pokémon game.

    A rotation of 6 spell-pages in your grimoire (which you can switch out at a scribing station), each one levelling up as you use them and gaining new abilities which you can switch out to improve them further, such as a basic flames spell-page with up to four variants: one to burn but not initially damage, one to trap in a vortex, one with an increased chance to critically hit, one that can bypass a magical shield, stuff like that.  As you progress up the guild by challenging and defeating the masters of each magical school, you start being able to access new spells from people, level those, and repeat.  You enter dungeons, face other mages and the evil Team Worm, and escape with magical items and rare spells.  You finally challenge the master mages and the Archmage in order to become the Archmage yourself, at which point you can defend your title against challengers.

    This would be an amazing game.

    I...gotta be real that'd just about be the most amazing thing ever :D Well maybe not but it's still pretty amazing. I'm trying to think of any negatives, but honestly it's just too good for me in particular. The gameplay would be really interesting, not only do you get the enjoyment of creating specific spell-sets for different scenarios but also the variations of each spell...Yeah definitely interesting.

    • 393 posts
    October 9, 2018 5:17 AM EDT

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    Urgh, it is kind of scary to think about. I mean there are aspects of Andromeda I liked, but most of them weren't exactly the key notes of a Bioware game, kind of the opposite of Inquisition for me, the stuff I liked was your normal Bioware stuff (the story, companions, lore, etc.) but couldn't stand some of the new elements they tried to work in (and the combat...that was, not great). So yeah it will be interesting if they do DA4 to see where they go, could be anything really.

    For me, it's more sad than scary because it shows the tendency most developers currently seem to be following. Games become more and more simplified. Even Bethesda seems to slowly abandon the complex lore concepts in favor of more black and white cartoony plots. If this trend won't be reversing anytime soon, it seems like in the near future we all will be playing something resembling generic Korean shooters. Which, for me, would be the end of my gaming hobby because I play for the story rather than for combat.

    I haven't played Andromeda, have only watched videos and read articles. It appears to have quite beautiful landscapes, but not-so-beautiful characters (especially female ones...), its story is rather generic and it seems like your choices don't really make much difference in the plot. Which takes all of its appeal as a BioWare game away.

    • 1296 posts
    October 9, 2018 6:55 AM EDT

    For me, it's more sad than scary because it shows the tendency most developers currently seem to be following. Games become more and more simplified. Even Bethesda seems to slowly abandon the complex lore concepts in favor of more black and white cartoony plots. If this trend won't be reversing anytime soon, it seems like in the near future we all will be playing something resembling generic Korean shooters. Which, for me, would be the end of my gaming hobby because I play for the story rather than for combat.

    I haven't played Andromeda, have only watched videos and read articles. It appears to have quite beautiful landscapes, but not-so-beautiful characters (especially female ones...), its story is rather generic and it seems like your choices don't really make much difference in the plot. Which takes all of its appeal as a BioWare game away.

    Hmm, can't disagree with that. I think we've had a few games lately that have managed to avoid this problem (God of War being the latest example, but there aren't a whole lot each year) and with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out, well I've got high hopes on that. Generally speaking though, it does feel like we're hitting a point when remakes or quickly put together games that feel 'standard' are becoming more common. We've got more franchises becoming Call of Duty's or Fortnite's and less mimicking Witcher 3.

    Yeah, I haven't finished Andromeda, started getting bored around, I think Level 25 and found it utterly unplayable for a second run. I had the same issue with Inquisition though, just an utterly boring and massively long set of cutscenes and tutorial stuff for far too long. Love story-telling and all, but I also like playing video games and it's tough to get into them once you've enjoyed the early game once or twice.

     

    • 393 posts
    October 9, 2018 7:37 AM EDT

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    Hmm, can't disagree with that. I think we've had a few games lately that have managed to avoid this problem (God of War being the latest example, but there aren't a whole lot each year) and with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out, well I've got high hopes on that. Generally speaking though, it does feel like we're hitting a point when remakes or quickly put together games that feel 'standard' are becoming more common. We've got more franchises becoming Call of Duty's or Fortnite's and less mimicking Witcher 3.

    Yeah, I haven't finished Andromeda, started getting bored around, I think Level 25 and found it utterly unplayable for a second run. I had the same issue with Inquisition though, just an utterly boring and massively long set of cutscenes and tutorial stuff for far too long. Love story-telling and all, but I also like playing video games and it's tough to get into them once you've enjoyed the early game once or twice.

    Judging by how many people are saying things like "I don't have enough attention span for all those too-clever games" (then go play PUBG and World of Tanks you dumb morons) it seems that people like me (who actually like those too clever games) are really a very small minority. I sometimes even wonder if something is wrong with me, lol. So no wonder that no one wants to spend years making a game that a little bunch of guys will play for another few years when they can make 10 games in 1 year, which a much bigger crowd of people will play for a week or two.

    Tbh, I actually liked Inquisition's cutscenes, they let you see all the beauty of the world and its characters. It's obviously a matter of preference. But if a game has a boring and empty plot, no possible amount of monsters and big guns will make it worth my precious free time that I already have so little of.

    • 1296 posts
    October 9, 2018 8:07 AM EDT

    Judging by how many people are saying things like "I don't have enough attention span for all those too-clever games" (then go play PUBG and World of Tanks you dumb morons) it seems that people like me (who actually like those too clever games) are really a very small minority. I sometimes even wonder if something is wrong with me, lol. So no wonder that no one wants to spend years making a game that a little bunch of guys will play for another few years when they can make 10 games in 1 year, which a much bigger crowd of people will play for a week or two

    It's hard to say, I'm not sure if what we generally consider mainstream these days is a vocal minority or a vocal majority, but yeah...Either way there's always going to be a point where ultimiately making what I would consider 'Great Games' is going to be rarer and rarer, and either be reserved only for indie games (and thus generally fairly short) or just straight up non-existant. I suppose we could hit a cap in the next few years where it's harder to do new stuff, so people start saying "Oh you know what still works...Writing Interesting Content" and so the market is flooded with games that are deep and complex and everything that most modern games aren't. 

    Tbh, I actually liked Inquisition's cutscenes, they let you see all the beauty of the world and its characters. It's obviously a matter of preference. But if a game has a boring and empty plot, no possible amount of monsters and big guns will make it worth my precious free time that I already have so little of.

    I actually enjoyed Inqusition for my first playhrough, I mean it's still my least favourite Dragon Age but...still it was good for a fair while. I do think it was disjointed later on (where you'd go for fairly large periods of time without much real story), which is why I originally put it off for a little bit (which then turned into longer periods of time, then I got my PS4 and would've had to start again). Just thought...hmm, it's hard for me but I find story-driven games very difficult to repeat unless there's a fair amount of choice to go along with it, that or there's so much content I can make multiple playthroughs completely different.

    Hmm, I also wonder how much the internet has changed that aspect of gaming...These days, I can play a game once and understand enough of the game to enjoy it, but unlike the older days of gaming, I don't have to play the game dozens of times to understand the full world, I could just read about it for hours online. Rarely do that, but I have noticed that even the great games of today, just aren't as replayable for me as Oblivion, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc. Not sure...

    • 306 posts
    October 9, 2018 8:20 AM EDT
    Destiny with Skyrim's perk system and Warframe's loot system (and grindiness). The three classes and their subclasses would have a large skill tree which they can customize for different purposes. Titans could be gears towards support or tanking; Hunters would be geared sniping, stealth, or DPS; Warlocks could be geared towards generating Orbs of Light, buffs, or mob clearing, etc. Strike missions should have a loot table that periodically changes every week allowing for replayability. Special enemies should have a chance to drop rare items. Remove lootboxes and have Vanguard/Crucible/Faction Marks be used to buy cosmetic items. Legendary Shards should be used to buy legendary weapons or reroll weapon perks.
    The list just goes on and on...

    • 393 posts
    October 9, 2018 9:12 AM EDT

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    It's hard to say, I'm not sure if what we generally consider mainstream these days is a vocal minority or a vocal majority, but yeah...Either way there's always going to be a point where ultimiately making what I would consider 'Great Games' is going to be rarer and rarer, and either be reserved only for indie games (and thus generally fairly short) or just straight up non-existant. I suppose we could hit a cap in the next few years where it's harder to do new stuff, so people start saying "Oh you know what still works...Writing Interesting Content" and so the market is flooded with games that are deep and complex and everything that most modern games aren't.

    Writing interesting content won't be a thing that works as long as the majority of potential players are 15 years olds who never opened a book in their life unless it was an unavoidable part of their school program. Which means never. As long as people are ready to pay for horker dung, the companies will be making just that.

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    I actually enjoyed Inqusition for my first playhrough, I mean it's still my least favourite Dragon Age but...still it was good for a fair while. I do think it was disjointed later on (where you'd go for fairly large periods of time without much real story), which is why I originally put it off for a little bit (which then turned into longer periods of time, then I got my PS4 and would've had to start again). Just thought...hmm, it's hard for me but I find story-driven games very difficult to repeat unless there's a fair amount of choice to go along with it, that or there's so much content I can make multiple playthroughs completely different.

    I agree. I only played Inquisition once, before going back to Skyrim. Story-driven games are much like books, you can only read a book this many times in a short period. Maybe one day I'll play it again, but not very soon. Though I still like it more than DA2, because at least I wasn't forced to play as a human.

    Dragonborn2021 said:

    Hmm, I also wonder how much the internet has changed that aspect of gaming...These days, I can play a game once and understand enough of the game to enjoy it, but unlike the older days of gaming, I don't have to play the game dozens of times to understand the full world, I could just read about it for hours online. Rarely do that, but I have noticed that even the great games of today, just aren't as replayable for me as Oblivion, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc. Not sure...

    For me it's a totally good thing, that I can read about a game and decide if I really want to spend some hours or days playing it. I happen to be somewhat of a graphics maniac, which makes games like Morrowind largely unplayable for me, so I'm really happy that I can at least catch on the lore.

    • 1296 posts
    October 9, 2018 9:23 AM EDT
    Destiny with Skyrim's perk system and Warframe's loot system (and grindiness). The three classes and their subclasses would have a large skill tree which they can customize for different purposes. Titans could be gears towards support or tanking; Hunters would be geared sniping, stealth, or DPS; Warlocks could be geared towards generating Orbs of Light, buffs, or mob clearing, etc. Strike missions should have a loot table that periodically changes every week allowing for replayability. Special enemies should have a chance to drop rare items. Remove lootboxes and have Vanguard/Crucible/Faction Marks be used to buy cosmetic items. Legendary Shards should be used to buy legendary weapons or reroll weapon perks. 
    The list just goes on and on...

     

    Just going to pretend this wasn't mentioned :P Wasn't it originally marketed as an MMOFPSRPG? I can't remember all the way back then (like 7 years ago or whatever) but I think that I remember that being the general idea that we were initially marketed...obviously that never happened, but yeah this would honestly perfect Destiny for me, even just the Skyrim-ish Perk System and keeping the current (shoddy) loot system would be fine, but just...having a deep character buildin option in Destiny would be perfect.

    • 1296 posts
    October 9, 2018 9:33 AM EDT

    Writing interesting content won't be a thing that works as long as the majority of potential players are 15 years olds who never opened a book in their life unless it was an unavoidable part of their school program. Which means never. As long as people are ready to pay for horker dung, the companies will be making just that.

    Hey >.> The majority are 16 year olds who never opened a book in their life unless it was an unavoidable part of their school program...Well that and 8 year olds :P

    I agree. I only played Inquisition once, before going back to Skyrim. Story-driven games are much like books, you can only read a book this many times in a short period. Maybe one day I'll play it again, but not very soon. Though I still like it more than DA2, because at least I wasn't forced to play as a human.

    Bah, nobody ever sides with me on DA2. I'll admit that was probably one of the worst parts of the game (beaten only be the laziness of the repeated dungeons, though the more I've learnt about the shitty situation that the creators had for the game, the more slack I give them)...Hmm actually I wonder if there's a mod that lets you play as non-human Races... 

    Well damn, only found one that would let you Play as an Elf, and it's not exactly the deepest mod out there. I mean, the issue there is that you just wouldn't fit in with Hawke's backstory...It sucks but I probably could've gotten over it if I could find a semi-decent mod, but yeah it's just not a big thing for modders (of which there seem to be very few) so that's not even nearly an option.

    But yeah, I loved DA2 myself but I can understand that dislike (plus assuming it goes further then that, which is fair).

    For me it's a totally good thing, that I can read about a game and decide if I really want to spend some hours or days playing it. I happen to be somewhat of a graphics maniac, which makes games like Morrowind largely unplayable for me, so I'm really happy that I can at least catch on the lore.

    That's fair. I'm definitely of the same mind when it comes to games that I might buy. There are more than a handful of games (Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and God of War just to name a few) that I would've never bought if I hadn't done plenty of research before they came out...Probably a few games that I would've screwed up and bought earlier if I hadn't researched them too, so that aspect is definitely good as far as I'm concerned.