Forums » Elder Scrolls

Anyone encountered this bug before?

• 15 posts
    April 15, 2012 11:19 AM EDT
    I've done lots of troubleshooting and investigation on the net, but cannot find a solution.  Please let me know if this is common or if a solution is known.

The issue is when I exit a dungeon, the loading screen comes up, then I get a crash to desktop with no warning messages or anything.  I have come to the conclusion that the error is something getting corrupted in the game when I enter the dungeon.  Here is all the differnent troubleshooting i went through:

This has happened on 2 different dungeons.
    It happens to the save I made right after entering the dungenon, and I try to exit through the entrance, and the save I made near the exit trying to use the exit.
    I've tried lowering video settings, windowed mode, and disabling all mods, still always crashes.
    Here are the mods I'm using: HBE Hardcore and Balanced from Nexus.  Darker Dungeons, Alternate Start Live Another Life, Frostfall, Imp's Basic Needs, Specialized Followers, SkyUI, Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Better Quest Objectives, from Workshop.
    If I load an earlier save and go to the same dungeon, I can enter and exit with no problems.

So it seems to me that something happened to my save file when I entered that dungeon.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    • 952 posts
    April 15, 2012 11:46 AM EDT

Maybe some of the mods have a conflict about something, or a wrong load order can cause this as well. Use boss to autosort load order and look for possible conflicts too, if you already do those things maybe you should use Wrye Bash to create a bashed patch.

• 15 posts
    April 15, 2012 12:09 PM EDT

Thanks for the suggestion!  Does Nexus Mod Manager automatically use Boss to autosort load order?  I still may have messed it up by fiddling with it.  I'll start looking into Wrye Bash.

Thanks!

• 952 posts
    April 15, 2012 1:19 PM EDT

I don't know if the latest versions of NMM uses boss autosort since I haven't used it for a while. In fact I don't even know if changing the load order works again after some update bethesda did a while ago.

• 297 posts
    April 16, 2012 12:23 PM EDT

With mods a rather common occurrence is when the player is using a mod made from a future update,

for instance if your game-pack is set too update 1.3 then a mod made on the current up to date version 1.5 will inevitably have trouble with running the scripts that have been changed since said update

im not sure if this is your problem but it is a solution as when you update too the current game-pack then everything technically should work without an issue,

however if you are all up too date then it could be a corrupted sav file if this is the case then you will have too start-over on a different save

hope this helped

• 377 posts
    April 16, 2012 6:38 PM EDT

It sounds like a corrupted game save. I'd recommend going back to a save before entering a dungeon. Corrupted save games have happened to me in Oblivion, and it sounds like what you described. To avoid corrupted saved games make a fresh save (meaning don't save over existing saved games, but create a new one).

• 377 posts
    April 16, 2012 6:39 PM EDT

It definitely doesn't sound like a mod conflict. Mod conflicts cause several issues but this is not one of them. To avoid mod conflicts use the Nexus Mod Manager. It's not perfect but it's near perfect.

• 952 posts
    April 17, 2012 3:55 AM EDT

Mod conflicts because of wrong load orders have caused this many times for me, and I mod Bethesda games for a long time now, I haven't even had a corrupted save game except for one and when you have one it just says it's corrupted when loading it. Corrupted saves don't even load so this isn't the issue.

• 297 posts
    April 17, 2012 4:23 AM EDT
    It could very well be a mod conflict i have experienced ctds because of this in the past,
    although i have alsobhad 2 corrupted save files in skyrim and no i didnt tell me they were corrupted on loading they would load up for a long while on the load screen then inexplicably crash too desktop, so in my experience i would say the corrupted save is probable in this case
    • 377 posts
    April 17, 2012 5:38 AM EDT

I've had issues like the one he described without any mods running at the time. It may not be a "save", but from the "Autosave" of entering the dungeon to the end of that dungeon something happened to cause an error of some type which cause the game to corrupt, which caused a crash at the exterior loading screen (the exit of the dungeon). If he had saved inside the dungeon where this error occurred there would be a high chance that the save he would create would be a corrupt save.

The reason why I believe it's not a mod issue is because he mentions loading to a previous save with no issues at all. Mod issues are pretty consistant, unlike game errors and corrupt saves.

In conclusion, when I played my first few games without mods I've experienced the issued he described in Skyrim, just like in Oblivion. Somehow the issue always solved itself when I reloaded to a previous save, and then made a fresh save. If that's not dealing with game corruption and corrupted saves, I don't know what is. It sure wasn't a mod issue.

• 15 posts
    April 17, 2012 1:25 PM EDT

I never could find a solution, so I just reinstalled Skyrim and all the mods.  Been playing for 2 days now and have not yet had the issue again.  Thanks for all the great input.

• 856 posts
    April 17, 2012 1:28 PM EDT

Bummer you had to start over, but glad things are working now...Have fun.

• Con
    • 41 posts
    April 26, 2012 7:48 PM EDT

I was getting that after adding a bunch of mods. I think it was More Whiterun.

• 144 posts
    April 26, 2012 10:44 PM EDT

yeah, this was quite common in Fallout new vegas. a save would get corrupted, and you would have to reload a previous save that isn't corrupted.

as far as i know, there is no way to fix this. you'll just have to go through the dungeon again.