Forums » Elder Scrolls

Playable Tamrielic Races in future TES games (in reference to th

• 7 posts
    June 22, 2015 10:18 AM EDT

This topic is for the discussion of the options in the current weekly poll that are races native to Tamriel.

Excluding the Chimer and Dwemer options (the former largely becoming the Dunmer and the latter being extremely unlikely), which of these 7 remaining options for a new playable race (5 from the Poll, including 2 other Human races) would you favor?

Ayleid, Imga, Reachmen (Forsworn), Kothringi, Lilmothiit, Skaal, or Falmer ("Snow Elves")?

If you'd like, there can be Lore-related discussion as to the likelihood of any of these 5 Races being a common enough sight in the specific Provinces that they call home.  Of course, the Lore can't necessarily be trusted to be 100% accurate.

NOTE(s):  The Reachmen, of course, also live in High Rock.  The Skaal are culturally very different from Nords, and may even have different natural abilities (perhaps being closer to their "Atmoran" ancestors than even Nords are).  The Falmer are hinted [by Gelebor] to possibly still have hidden enclaves of uncorrupted populations.  The Lilmothiit are only thought to be extinct, when this nomadic people could very well (similarly to the Kothringi) just be living in relative seclusion from the Argonians and other cultures.

• 1467 posts
    June 22, 2015 10:44 AM EDT
    I think the Reachmen and Skaal are too similar to the Bretons and Nords to really fit in, same problem with the Falmer, Ayelid and Chimer, they're all too similar to already existing playable races. I do think that the Imga would be the more interesting of those left, though both the Kothringi and Lol,othiit could be fairly interesting.

I think at this point the only Race thT would even be likely would be, none. Yep I don't think any race would ever be added in at this point.
    • 7 posts
    June 22, 2015 12:05 PM EDT

It'll likely only be dependent on which specific Province will be the setting of the next TES, for there to be any chance of other native Races being included.

• 558 posts
    June 22, 2015 1:54 PM EDT

If it is set in Black Marsh, it could be a possibility that you could visit the town with undead Kothringi. But I don't think that they would add any playable races.

• 622 posts
    June 22, 2015 6:10 PM EDT
    Dwemer and Aywlid are confirmed to be extinct, so I doubt they'll be seen again. Skaal amd Reachman are not a seperate race. I'llgo with Lilmothiit as I find them interesting
    • 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 6:24 PM EDT

I feel like Bethesda should shake the series up by having a new race in every game. Like for instance in Skyrim the Falmer would have been a playable race then say if the next game was set in the Black Marsh Falmer would be swapped out for Lilmothiit or Korthringi playable race. And just keep rotating every game.

• 7 posts
    June 22, 2015 11:56 PM EDT

The Ayleids are not at all confirmed to be "extinct", but there are purportedly no known sightings of them in the Third or Fourth Era (at least in Cyrodiil).  It remains likely that certain Ayleid tribes continue to thrive at least in Valenwood, if not Black Marsh as well.

The Dwemer are not necessarily extinct either.  We just know that the vast majority, save one, have disappeared from Nirn.  Yagrum Bagarn himself may possibly still be alive.

Technically, at this point, the Reachmen can definitely be considered separate (despite being "of Breton stock").  They have Nordic and Orcish blood coursing through their veins, in addition to Breton ("Manmer") blood.

^Somewhat similarly for the Skaal, in relation to the Nords.  Despite being listed in the Console (and Creation Kit) as "Nords", they are most evidently a very different people.  They definitely don't consider themselves to be "Nords" (and they consider Skyrim to be foreign), and concern themselves more with their Atmoran ancestry as well as looking more kindly on the ancient worship of Dovah.