Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Civil War: Who's at Fault? The Writers.

• 1595 posts
    September 17, 2014 4:02 PM EDT

I've stayed away from this debate so forgive me for not reading everything proceeding this. Nekros, you mention the evil dragon sent to destroy the world as bad writing. Don't you think the mythical similarities with Ragnarok is hugely fitting in a game like Skyrim, full of TES version of Norse symbolism and religion?

Over simplifying it as you have done ensures you miss out all the good bits: The hero, a soul of Akatosh and Shor the dead god must defeat the Dragon as he does every cycle in a land where the rain is the tears of his grieving widow, Kyne. The quest takes him through a sundered, kingless and bleeding land, ripped apart by a bloody civil war which culminates in an enantiomorphic event. The Pillars of Mundus are falling one by one, the Thalmor stretch forth their grim hand and humanity's fate looks uncertain.

I think Skyrim's Main Quest is pretty epic.

• September 17, 2014 5:43 PM EDT

What I'm saying is the story of a hero fighting an evil dragon has already been done like a million times.

• September 17, 2014 5:44 PM EDT

I'm also saying that the DE could have done a bit work on the story is all.

• 75 posts
    September 17, 2014 6:07 PM EDT

I for one am not bored with the story, but still write alternates. Boom.

• September 17, 2014 6:51 PM EDT

I didn't expect everyone to be bored with the story.

• September 17, 2014 11:47 PM EDT

Plus, are you saying I like the Ragnarok story or something? That's what it sounds like you're saying anyways. Skyrim is not Ragnarok, Skyrim is a bleak desolate hole of despair.

• 1217 posts
    September 18, 2014 1:39 AM EDT
    If you don't associate Ragnarok with desolation, you may be missing part of the story.
    • 1595 posts
    September 18, 2014 1:48 AM EDT

I'm not drawing direct parallels because it's tough but there are definitely similarities between Skyrim's MQ and Ragnarok of Norse myth.

• September 18, 2014 3:15 PM EDT

At least Ragnarok is a better story than fighting an dragon.

• 78 posts
    September 20, 2014 8:17 PM EDT

I actually like the Main Storyline, but I think they could do better. The Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood questline is far more exciting than the Main Quest which makes no sense. I think the story and the background is great, it reminds me of the stories of my own faith, but the quests are a bit of a let down. It was supposed to be full of epic moments and stuff, but the only epic moments are when you first absorb the dragon's soul in Whiterun, when you do the same with the one at Kynesgrove and Delphin is like "So you really are..." and at Sovngarde which is the freaking Valhalla. Bethesda could have made it a bit more exciting, but I think they've done a great job with the storytelling of the questline.

Also, dragons.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 20, 2014 9:24 PM EDT

I wish they involved the Dragoncult a bit more. Have Draugr lead by a Dragonpriest attack a few towns and cities, along with more dragon attacks in walled cities. Out of hundreds of hours of gameplay, I was attacked once in Windhelm.

Make me feel like the dragons returning are a more pressing threat instead of dragons circling overhead before flying off and the occasional fight. Dawnguard made the vampires feel like a growing threat with attacks on towns and vampire posse jumping on you along the road or in the wilderness.

• 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 9:38 PM EDT

I think the vampire attacks were really good additions, they could actually kill civilians, and the thought that you'll never see those people in that playthrough was so realistic, it made you hate the vampires even more.