Forums » Elder Scrolls

1st or 3rd Person?

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:29 PM EST

The title says it all. How do you primarily play the game, in first or third person? I personally play in third person the majority of the time, switching the view only when I am shooting a bow or casting a projectile spell. (Or picking up a pesky object that I can't aim at in 3rd)

This is mostly because I find melee combat almost impossible to do in 1st person. And some of it also might have to do with me using a 360 controller on PC instead of a mouse.

What are your thoughts? How do you play Skyrim?

• 360 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:31 PM EST

I prefer first person, if sky had dodges then I would definitely play on 3rd

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:33 PM EST

You can dodge manuallly in third person if you are quick enough. It's part of a build I am working on actually.

• 15 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:34 PM EST
    When in combat, only 3rd, I can't fight in 1st. Sometimes I will switch to 1st in town.
    • 360 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:39 PM EST

I will definitely look at it then, be sure to let me know when it comes out. but I meant like dodge rolls like in dark souls

• 79 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:42 PM EST

3rd person, what's the point of wearing your awesome attire if you can't see yourself strutting about? That and the fact that I'd like to see my attack animations rather than see a "rock 'em sock 'em" weapon swing animation used in 1st person.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:46 PM EST

Well there is silent roll, but the character I am working on doesn't use sneak.

• 700 posts
    January 28, 2014 4:39 AM EST

I find melee combat in third person to be clunky and unreliable.  The only time I'm in third person is when I'm trekking and need something to look at.  

• 2 posts
    January 28, 2014 7:46 AM EST
    I like playing in first because everything is so much better the only time I use third person is to what my character look like in armor
    • 8 posts
    January 28, 2014 7:47 AM EST

Mostly third person, the major exception being when sneaking or using a bow.  I find it easier to control my aim and movement in first person on those occassions.  Sometimes I switch to first when talking to NPC's, just so I can get a better look at their faces without the back of my characters head being in the way.

• 2 posts
    January 28, 2014 7:50 AM EST
    I use to think that I couldn't Play in first person until I gave it a try
    • 158 posts
    January 28, 2014 7:59 AM EST

Mostly first person while I'm traveling or fighting individuals or small groups.  I switch to third person when there are more than three enemies to deal with. 

• 856 posts
    January 28, 2014 10:09 AM EST

1st Person on a high end gaming laptop using keyboard/wireless mouse. A majority of my characters are melee combatants. I had tried altering the FOV (field of view) a bit but found default was good enough. My choice of first person, most likely, is due to my love of immersion.

I will on occasion switch to third person usually quickly to check my clothes/armor. I may switch to 3rd person to navigate a difficult ledge or some other obstacle, but that is very rare.

• 104 posts
    January 28, 2014 10:17 AM EST
    ^^^
    Yes.

Probably because I play a lot of fps but when I fight in third person I don't do as well.

I do like to use ranged in third as I can time my draws better.
    • 338 posts
    January 28, 2014 10:58 AM EST

I always play melee in 3rd person as well, although I am more fond of a pair of swords rather than the big ol' greatswords.

• 661 posts
    January 28, 2014 11:45 AM EST

3rd. 'nuff said.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 28, 2014 12:29 PM EST

Mostly 1st person, since most of my characters use bows. Sometimes when I am using swords or want to see my character I use 3rd person, but it feels kind of awkward to me for the most part.

• January 28, 2014 1:01 PM EST

I used to play in third person but when I got my first archer, I switched to first person and I just got used to it, now it feels weird to play in third person.

• 338 posts
    January 28, 2014 1:53 PM EST

I play with the 360 controller on PC because I hate the mouse so much for any type of melee combat.

• 338 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:10 PM EST

Realistically, I don't think a person would be able to turn around that fast and orient themselves that quickly, so that fact kinda bugs me when I am trying to have a realistic playthrough. 

And, realism is why I hate first person so much. There is nooooo freaking peripheral vision. When I hold a sword up in front of me, I can see past it to the right more than just a smidgen.  

• 338 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:21 PM EST

I'm sorry, I thought Skyrim was an RPG.