Forums » The Lounge

Any good horror movies?

• 41 posts
    January 21, 2014 6:45 PM EST
    The final, Texas chainsaw massacre, Friday 13th, nightmare on elm street, black Christmas, house of a 1000 corpse, devils rejects, scream
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:06 PM EST

My problem with The Strangers is that is presented as a "this could happen to you" kind of horror film, and of course, that's what would make it scary....I can laugh at horror movies when someone does something stupid in a movie that is already kind of ridiculous. Most horror movies have an element of the absurd (and I enjoy that about them) but when it aims higher than that I think the characters have to be genuine to make it work. Trying not to be too spoilerish here, but I don't know a single person that wouldn't have caught on to something being  really off about some things that happened at 3 in the morning when they first arrived home.  It just felt wrong to me.....and there would have been easy ways around that. But sometimes I am nitpicky and sometimes I am not. So I should probably give it another watch. Because what is good about the movie is REALLY good. I had the same issues with Eden Lake though, another movie I know a lot of horror fans really love. 

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:29 PM EST

The prequel (Paranormal Activity 3) was the best imo. Surprisingly, The Marked Ones was pretty good too although the special effects were too over the top.

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:33 PM EST

That was the good parts lol! Cute Vampire Lord though 

• 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:34 PM EST
    I never found them scary... All they are is jump scares... Jump scares aren't scary... They are starting... There is a difference between startling and scary... If a murder was behind you with a knife, that's scary... If the camera jumps to a cat and there is a loud orchestral sting or the demon jumps in front of the camera for a quarter of a second to attack, that's startling...
    • 41 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:35 PM EST

I watch lots of horror movies and i would have to say one of my favorites was the childs play series, it's not scary, its actually quit funny, one of my favorite scene is this one.

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:38 PM EST

Insidious was great until he went to that other world. It really killed it for me. Paranormal Activity 3 was way better. I'll have to watch The Descent soon though, sounds like a good one!

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:43 PM EST

A good mix. I think it got a lot more credit that it deserved simply because it's the only decent horror movie to come out recently.

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:44 PM EST

Black Xmas was pretty effed up and creepy.

• 104 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:32 PM EST
    Angel Heart. Event Horizon. Six souls. Alien.
    • 158 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:32 PM EST

Seconding Alien and Aliens, Event Horizon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Red Dragon, and Cabin in the Woods.  The original Hellraiser will always be a favorite of mine.  Not a horror movie, but the series American Horror Show has been really excellent.  

I still think that Poltergeist and The Exorcist are among the scariest movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.  Fright Night is good for cheesy horror, and we can't possibly forget Evil Dead.  There was also a horror comedy I saw under the title Dead Alive, which was gory and hilarious.

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:45 PM EST
    Thank you sir!
    • 249 posts
    January 22, 2014 2:23 AM EST
    They really haven't messed up Paranormal Activity. The only one that sucked so far was 4. The other four were pretty good. If you didn't like/see any of the others then you prob weren't a fan from the get-go.