Forums » The Lounge

FCC vs Verizon - Why you should care about Net Neutrality

• TED
    • 45 posts
    January 17, 2014 5:56 PM EST

If you're confused by the name of this title, then allow me to inform you of what net neutrality is and what has recently happened.

Net neutrality is the concept that all internet providers should allow open access to any website. In the United States, the FCC lost an appeals court case to Verizon very recently (this week actually) over how broadband providers manage network traffic. Before the rulings of this case, providers could not discriminate against certain types of site trafficking. For example, providers couldn't slow down Netflix's speeds to promote its streaming services.

Now that Verizon won this case, internet providers could charge whatever they want for high speed access to certain websites.  This image depicts a hypothetical charging rate that Americans might see in the future.  You can find out more information about it RIGHT HERE.  

What do you all think about this?

• 360 posts
    January 17, 2014 6:03 PM EST

I could care less, I live in Brazil and internet is shit here regardless 

• 158 posts
    January 17, 2014 6:12 PM EST
    Not only that, the NDAA that Obama just signed into law at the end of December pretty much nullifies any legal challenges that there might have been to the NSA data capture outed by whistleblower Snowden. It legally allows them to capture and analyze any of your information, regardless of legal charges or lack of any criminal standing, which dovetails nicely with the military's ability to now hold both citizens and non-citizens indefinitely with no legal charges and no access to representation. Both Google and Yahoo have been on the receiving end of class action lawsuits because of their e-mail scanning technology that captures basically all of your data, and their "legal responsibility" to turn it over to law enforcement. It's all disgusting.
    • 253 posts
    January 17, 2014 6:12 PM EST

I think it would be annoying, but not a major issue. 

• 194 posts
    January 17, 2014 7:27 PM EST

Exactly. It's sad how many issues I take this stance with. I have seen strong/intelligent people go up against corporations/government. It seems all for naught.

• 152 posts
    January 17, 2014 7:33 PM EST

Fucking verizon, that's what I think! They screwed me over with my landlines for the longest time, and forced me to go to hughes net; not a step up at all, more of a step sideways!

• 158 posts
    January 17, 2014 7:57 PM EST
    My mom has been doing battle with them for years. They're the only provider in her area, so she has no choice but to do business with them. However, she has complained so consistently that they routinely give her credits back on her bills.
    • 152 posts
    January 18, 2014 8:15 PM EST

The problem we had was that our internet wouldn't work 60-75% of the time! No amount of refunds makes that up!

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:59 AM EST
    I just realized this but, verizon in particular brags about high speed internet when in reality only some sites would load fast
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 4:07 AM EST
    Lucky you
    • 365 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:57 AM EST

It doesn't matter to Ben, he's still on Dial-Up speeds, if it goes any slower, his internet will be going backwards...