Forums » Elder Scrolls

What are your thoughts on dual wielding

• 127 posts
    January 14, 2014 9:17 PM EST
    Skyrim introduced the ability to dual wield. What do you think about it? Do you find it useful? Why? Why not?
    • 194 posts
    January 14, 2014 9:37 PM EST

It is useful if you take the perks that are specifically for making dual wielding useful. Stacking elemental fury or slow time on top of those abilities certainly makes it viable. However, anybody playing on legendary or RPing with realism is probably going to avoid dual wielding attacks; preferring instead a shield, spell, or staff to provide defense. Hell, even dropping the left weapon so you can block is notably smarter.

• 127 posts
    January 14, 2014 9:43 PM EST
    True. But dual wielding is incredibly useful against multiple enemies, and here is why: Very rarely you find yourself against one enemy. So it's good to get in, and get out, giving out maximum damage in a short amount of time, and receiving minimal damage
    • 89 posts
    January 14, 2014 10:55 PM EST

Whereas, I find it far more useful against a single, defensive opponent, who I can staggerlock with no fear of being messed up from a different angle if I'm wielding a good combo.

• 14 posts
    January 14, 2014 10:59 PM EST
    I made a dual wielding nord with no restoration spells that easily completed appropriate quests with ease. I began by picking up elemental fury, and had no difficulty cutting anything down before it blinked. It almost made it boring.

Just my experience, though.
    • 14 posts
    January 14, 2014 10:59 PM EST
    This was on expert or master difficulty, I don't remember.
    • 700 posts
    January 14, 2014 11:10 PM EST

It's risky and difficult to make practicable.  Once the player has both tiers unlocked for Dual Flurry and has deep stamina pool, then enemies can pretty much be stun locked.  Fighting groups or just generally tough enemies is made easier once the player has Dual Savagery and maybe even some fortify one handed enchantments.  Having a decent armor rating is a plus.  

• 194 posts
    January 14, 2014 11:14 PM EST

Or stay in there with a shield and block and stagger multiple enemies while counter attacking intelligently.

• 38 posts
    January 14, 2014 11:35 PM EST

I think dual wielding is overpowered, even on legendary with the right perks/shouts you can non stop power attack flurry, staggering your enemy every time, and perks that make you put off crazy damage, i had 2 Skyforged steel sword putting off around 70dam each, but when power attacking with the right perks they were putting over 200dam per hit out, staggering every time, if they didnt die the first flurry i would just give them a second, i ended up starting over because it got boring killing everythig so easy.

• 360 posts
    January 15, 2014 12:13 AM EST

fastest way of dealing damage in skyrim, highest dps overall, but you can't use quick reflexes, shield charge, or bash, which are my favorite things to do with my one handed weapon and nothing in the off hand

• 14 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:03 AM EST
    I remember having his problem on PC, but never on my PS3 oddly enough.
    • 1 posts
    January 15, 2014 11:03 AM EST
    Dual wielding is very powerful with all of the perks and using shouts like people mentioned. With that being said I prefer fighting with a shield and dagger. It is a lot of fun blocking, basing, disarming, counter attacking, etc... Compared to just running up to people and mashing the same two buttons over and over until they are dead.