Forums » The Lounge

Does Skyrim (and similar games) encourage its players to believe

• 485 posts
    January 12, 2014 10:24 PM EST
    Going back to the topic of influences, its important to understand that what im refering to is much mor subtle. Im not refering to readily immitatable phrases and memes.
    • 10 posts
    January 12, 2014 11:17 PM EST

The game doesn't encourage players to believe in stereotypes any more than it does dragons. The stereotypes are present, and the stereotypes are subverted - just as in the real world. There are certain common threads, like the belief that all Khajiit are thieves. But this isn't a bad thing. To the Khajiit, thievery is an expression of skill and cleverness. They see it as an honor in a similar way to the stereotypical Nord views on valour in combat.

Acknowledging these differences between races is a form of racism, but what everyone seems to forget is that racism isn't necessarily bad. There is such a thing as positive racism; as celebrating the differences, rather than discriminating because of them. A real-world example would be mentioning that people on non-white descent would be less likely to suffer sunburn.

• 1913 posts
    January 12, 2014 11:29 PM EST
    Otters is alive?! I thought he died in a car crash or something and that is why whenever I asked about him nobody said anything...
    • 10 posts
    January 13, 2014 12:53 AM EST

Racism is the basis of actions or views in the belief that the human species is subdivided into different races. This is neither positive nor negative. But because of negative racism being so visible in the public mindset, many people believe that discriminatory racism is the only definition of racism.

It's so prevalent that maybe the actual definition of racism needs to be changed, in keeping with how language evolves over time. Most people think as you do, and no matter what language traditionalists may think, language is decided by the interpretation of the majority.

• 10 posts
    January 13, 2014 1:02 AM EST

Some asshole read an Elder Scroll at me, and I was cast out of time for thousands of years, until the coming of the Last Otterborn.

• 271 posts
    January 13, 2014 1:32 AM EST
    Man! I can finally say this to you Otters

I love your build! My best playthrough. Thank you!
  • January 13, 2014 3:51 AM EST

If I say "dovahkiin", you think beared male nord with studded armor and iron helmet.

Even though 99.9% of actual dovahkiins ever played, have nothing to do with this concept at all.
    There you go, your question's answered.

• 158 posts
    January 13, 2014 12:57 PM EST

that's not actually the definition of racism. it isn't just the belief that humanity is divided into races (which is, scientifically, false, btw).   

1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

the two important points are 1. generalization to all members, and 2. value judgments based upon that generalization.
    • 10 posts
    January 13, 2014 8:19 PM EST

That's just a different way of phrasing what I've said. If people could be divided into races, it goes without saying that there would be common characteristics or abilities. I deliberately didn't mention inferiority or superiority, though. That's where the nastiness comes in. All people are people. Even Argonians.

• 74 posts
    January 17, 2014 10:17 PM EST
    Too me it seems that a lot of fantasy games use stereotypes (not necessarily bad ones) to better immerse you into the game. That's just what I think though.