Forums » Elder Scrolls

So... just a question.

• 5 posts
    August 11, 2013 11:41 PM EDT

Hello, all.  I'm new here, but that's not the point.  I played through Skyrim when it released and had a blast.  I recently just started playing again and picked up Dragonborn and Dawnguard.  I stumbled upon this site while looking for RP ideas since my last run through was not RP'd and was just a basic sword and board nord...  topped out mid 30s as I didn't really search out many dungeons that were outside of the main story, civil war, companions lines...

In any case, that brings me to my question.  I've got an idea for a character(think Spellsword with a twist) and I may post it if it turns out decently...  but before delving into this tomorrow, is Destruction magic still subpar end game?  I understand that when the game launched it didn't scale well like melee/bow weapons did.  I'm hoping that has been fixed as destruction magic plays a central role in my character plan.  I'm sure there are mods out there that would fix it, but I am on console sadly.(at least for now.  ETA til I can build my new computer-2 months).

Thanks in advance.  Also, awesome site here.  I find myself perusing the site daily now reading some of the old discussions and character builds.

• 167 posts
    August 11, 2013 11:53 PM EDT

"Destruction is a perfectly valid school of magic"

One should not worry too much about the small issues in a build, as long as it's a viable build overall. 

• 5 posts
    August 11, 2013 11:58 PM EDT

I disagree that Destruction magic is underpowered merely because it doesn`t scale as high as melee weapons with enchantments.

The method of empowering Ignite and Flames spells by taking the perks Intense Flames , then Aspect of Terror gives you highly effective fire attacks even on Legendary difficulty. My Flames spell ,for example, now does 27 points of damage per second and stacking Ignite bolts will burn a Nightmaster Vampire out of his socks.

Dukaan , Ahzidal , and Zahkriisos Masks will all further boost destruction.(think of them as an extra augment perk)

More boosts are available from in-game and custom Alchemy potions as well as Shalidor`s Insights(Destruction) scrolls.

The value of Impact and the stagger it causes shouldn`t be ignored . Force without Effort Dragon Word meditation helps out there.

• 5 posts
    August 12, 2013 12:20 AM EDT

Well, thank you all for the replies.  I'll give this idea in my head a whirl over the next bit and when I'm in a decent way, assuming it's going well and the character story/motivations are flowing well into the story.  I'll post it up and see how it goes.