Forums » The Lounge

Do you consider Batman an antihero?

• March 21, 2013 5:01 PM EDT

Tough. lolĀ I know it was a joke, I just wanted to make fun of you.

• January 25, 2014 5:46 PM EST
    Yes batman is an antihero because he puts super villains into a mental asylum, the easiest place to break out of, so he can be the hero over and over and over again!
    • 622 posts
    January 25, 2014 6:43 PM EST

No. And I'm going off the comics. Batman's strict moral code is what keeps him separate from the animals he hunts to protect his city. Has he killoed? Yup. Does it hurt him? You betcha.

• 622 posts
    January 25, 2014 6:46 PM EST

Actually, the majority go to Blackgate, a high security prison. Arkham Asylum isn't meant to be hard to break out but many villains are often turned loose by outside sources.

• 47 posts
    January 25, 2014 9:16 PM EST

There is no way the Batman can be considered an antihero. I think he attracts this kind of label because of the grim angsty Dark Avenger image that hangs around him, especially since the recent movies have played up that side of him rather than focusing on the aspects of his character such as being the greatest detective in the business. He is indeed a serious individual, and not to be crossed, but his morality could hardly be more starkly black and white. His entire motivation is to stop evil being done to the innocent, and if necessary he would sacrifice his life for that without regret. And while he certainly does play hard, he never crosses the line.

Wolverine, as you say, is a much better example. He is an outright killer, and not particularly worried about that. Whereas the Batman would tell a criminal they were in for a savage beating if they didn't give up the required information (and mean it, and do it), Wolverine would simply make it clear that they were risking their life by holding out. I have a distinct memory of Wolverine looking up at some much larger adversary, and telling him that by crossing the X-Men he'd made the worst mistake of his life - "And the last."