Forums » The Lounge

All about bacon :D

• 158 posts
    November 19, 2012 3:45 PM EST
    Bacon. Laying here in bed with the plague has got me thinking, "why do I like bacon" and rather than turn around and say it is the sweet solidified nectar of the gods I have decided to state the facts. So here is shit to know about bacon:

Bacon contains a chemical that creates an addictive neurochemical response.

September 3rd is international bacon day.

The USA consumes 8 1/2 Nimitz class aircraft carriers worth of bacon a year making them the largest consumers of bacon in the world.

Bacon helps relieve hangovers

Bacon cologne is a widely sold product.

Bacon helps brain development during pregnancy

Bacon is one of Katy Perry's favorite foods.

Bacon tastes fucking great.

Why do you like/not like bacon?
    • 133 posts
    November 19, 2012 3:48 PM EST

• 158 posts
    November 19, 2012 4:00 PM EST
    :D
    • 271 posts
    November 19, 2012 4:23 PM EST
    I love bacon! :D Everything is good with it!
    • 44 posts
    November 19, 2012 7:50 PM EST
    i heard there maybe a bacon shortage soon :/
    • 291 posts
    November 19, 2012 7:56 PM EST

Bacon is indeed awesome.  

A long time ago, on an Earth far, far away...we would treasure these strips of fat and protein as they were incredibly rare to early hunters.  This is mostly why we loooove fatty, savory foods--the penultimate of which is BACON!

• 158 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:07 PM EST
    In a certain country or world wide?
    • 44 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:18 PM EST
    in the u.s,.i heard something about farmers not being able to feed their pigs,thus creating the shortage not sure if theres any truth to it though,..i'ma stockpile just incase anyways.
    • 291 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:26 PM EST

Probably related to the corn shortage we had this year.  There was some serious drought in the heartlands that led to a lot of reduced corn crops.  You'll probably see food prices go up a bit next spring...all food prices since corn is in damn near everything.

The bigger thing is that you'd better hold on to your beef.  The drought seriously crippled a lot of cattle ranches as they couldn't afford enough feed for the cattle (grass was too dry, so they had to feed almost exclusively from purchased stock, which is VERY expensive).  Pork will also likely increase, but I don't think it will be as significant as beef (pigs will eat just about anything people will, so you have more flexibility).  Same with poultry as they can feed off of other things than corn.

• 1913 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:30 PM EST
    Kyrie we are in agreement on this. My family hates bacon, they say its to unhealthy. By the time I'm done with about 4 strips I'm like "everything that tastes good is unhealthy, so you might as well liven up"
    • 291 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:33 PM EST

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of unhealthy food.  Just everything in moderation.

• 158 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:36 PM EST
    I wonder if more stable country's will capitalize on the American aporkalypse. I would imagine a European country could do it unless they have shortages too.
    • 291 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:45 PM EST

Perhaps.  Brazil and the EU are the second and third highest producers of beef, with the first being the US.

Shockingly, pork is nearly monopolized by China (at least as of 2010), so if anyone's going to try to edge the US out of the pork export game, they would be the ones.

• 158 posts
    November 19, 2012 8:59 PM EST
    Not surprising given that china is the second largest economy in the world and have been pivotal in global growth, however according to a recent article I read chinas growth has slowed to 7.8%, it's lowest in 13 years. If china do take over America's bacon/pork industry then I would expect that number to rise.
  • November 19, 2012 10:51 PM EST

I had bacon just a bit ago...

A rare occasion, but a welcome one.

I'd have to say I like most barbecue you can get here better though. Brisket, Ribs, Sausage.

Love me some good Texan Barbecue.