Forums » Elder Scrolls

Starting Off

• 44 posts
    November 8, 2012 4:08 PM EST
    So my fellow skyrim bloggers my questions for you today are,What first got you into playing TES series,which TES game was your first,and lastly what were your first impressions of skyrim?

To answer my own questions 1. i was looking for a game with a good storyline,but with a open world feel to it like the GTA series,but would allow me to be one of my favorite creatures which is a werewolf so i searched and that lead me to TES series,

2.oblivion wouldve been my first choice,but at the time skyrim had just been released so naturally i went with skyrim,3. My first impression of skyrim when all was said and done with my first playthrough was bloody hell this has to be one of my favorite games of all time.
    Well i look forward to reading some of your answers Ciao...
  • November 8, 2012 4:23 PM EST

Well my friend brought Oblivion over because he talked about how awesome it was. I walked around for 2 minutes, and said, "What the hell is wrong with these animations?" Now it's one of my favorite games Obviously Oblivion. First impression? Hmmm.... probably"I CAN DUAL WIELD!!!!"

• 31 posts
    November 8, 2012 5:01 PM EST

1. Well i was looking for a random game, but a great game. Then I saw Morrowind Game of the Year Edition and just bought it. Ended up putting into it over 350 hours.

2. Morrowind.

3. I will put an simple answer. Skyrim is the best game I have played in my life. Everything is just perfect and it is as I wanted a game to be. I have so far put around 500 hours and still using to play it from time to time.  

• 291 posts
    November 8, 2012 6:07 PM EST

1.  I don't remember.  I think I was looking for an open world fantasy game that would fill the need to explore something.  At the time, I had tried the Witcher at the same time, found it horrendously buggy, so I went with TES.  I also remember I had a couple of friends who got utterly lost in the game, so I finally got curious enough to try it.

2.  First game was Oblivion, though I didn't get it until 2007, so I was late to the party.  I made up for lost time, though. :D

3.  "Omg this looks real."  "Holy shit that looks like Edoras!"  "The Nords are like the Rohirrim...that city is amazing looking [Markarth]."  "Oh thank god, they fixed the leveling system.  Okay, sold!"

• 952 posts
    November 8, 2012 6:15 PM EST

My dad had Morrowind with all the expansions and plug-ins, I was so young I didn't even had interest in it, my nephew (or cousin, whichever one of those 2 it is, since we use only one word 'neef' for it) got it for his birthday as well and we used to play video games together, I got interested in it, and I created an Imperial with completely useless skills as his major and minor skills, I got to lvl 20, finished part of the fighters and thieves guild, didn't play it again until 2 years ago when I was 16, I suddenly grasped the depth of the game and loved it, I finished it. I had finished Oblivion for a long time already before I finished Morrowind but Morrowind felt like much more fun to me even though it was more difficult and I only had played it for a little bit with a worthless character. Even today Morrowind is my #1 game of all times.

• November 8, 2012 6:35 PM EST

I got Oblivion sometime in my 7-9 year old days at a Gamestop, or maybe EB Games I think it was was still around back then. (Anywhere form 4-10 blends together, I never know how old I was for certain memories unless they are tied to something that reveals the age I would have been.) and was playing it on the 360. I was pretty young and wasn't too great at games so I made a lot of characters that only a couple got high level and kind of did stuff I already knew how to do. No roleplaying, just kind of doing whatever and the quests I used to do, I still to this day haven't completed all the questlines, not even the main one (Though I watched my brother complete pretty much all of the ones that I didn't, and I would have completed them but Oblivion broke after awhile), but I loved that game and I played it a ton, coming back to it every couple games I played and got bored of. Back in the days of being crappy at games, only knowing mainstream games, and just playing on Xbox, no computer.

Since I feel it's related, I played Morrowind way back when I rented it for Xbox. I really sucked at it, being pretty young and the difficulty curve, so I went around and stole stuff and crap for the majority of the rental period and never really got it again. I still thought it was pretty fun, even though I had really no idea what to do and sucked at it. The summer or maybe it was April or May before Skyrim I bought Morrowind from Amazon and have the complete game, still installed with what I think is a crap load of mods, though many believe it would be a 'light setup'. I played one pretty complete Thief playthrough, finished a few guilds, Solthseim, and then got my ass kicked by Goblins in Tribunal's Sewers, which by then I'd been playing quite a lot and ended up putting it down for the time being. Much later I played it a bit more experimenting with mods (My first main playthrough was vanilla) and characters but really despite my love for the game I haven't gotten back to it for a second, complete playthrough. Though I'm sure I will at some point.

As for Skyrim, there is a ton to say on my impressions but I'll say this: I agree with Imeera, Skyrim does not have as much personality, flaws, difficulty curves, and quirks as the other games. You cannot level your destruction by casting a fire DOT spell on yourself, you don't have levitation, or crazy fireball spells from Morrowind: Mostly all because of the over-simplification of Skyrim's magic and the insane removal of spell creating. It's an extremely good game, it let us down in a lot of ways, though in my excitement for the game, and joy in playing it, I actually forgot all of that and never thought about it until much later. I'd say Skyrim is an extremely good game, but it let so much down even from what Oblivion did.

It has some new features, but still. A lot is missing. The Magic System as I said is dumbed down, they got rid of the really cool spells like Silence. They brought a lot about the dynamic quest system and people reacting to things you did, people you killed, how you treated someone. Someone coming at you for revenge, dynamically. Not just some fucking hired goons thing that happens all the time when no one knew you killed them and maybe the person was hardly related to that person etc. The dragons are shitty and way too easy.

Like was said by Imeera, the franchise has been mainstreamed. They've catered to the noobs and newcomers, making the game easy, simplified, and less niche with less personality.

With all it's flaws with promised features that aren't there, comparisons to the old games, I still find Skyrim a incredible game that occupied my for around 250 hours or something like that. But still, if they would have made that game in Elsweyr, and brought back that personality and features that where in Morrowind, or something like that - I think the game would have been 10 times better. It would have blown  my mind, and I probably would have played it more, and have gotten the DLC, but it wasn't like that. Codifization is happening, you can see it in niche, hardcore, complex, older franchises. Something I'm not too happy about. But I guess that will just have to happen, at least we have mods and indie games... err... on PC we do. :\ That's another rant for another time 

So Yeah... That's what I think.

• 952 posts
    November 8, 2012 6:40 PM EST

Hey Julian, remember those good old Morrowind days when if people told you to go somewhere you actually had to look on your map to navigate, follow roads, and remember landmarks? I always played with my big fance Morrowind map on my bed next to me. I believe that this should have been added back to Skyirm again as an option.

• November 8, 2012 7:02 PM EST

Yeah, annoyingly you can't really add that back in in a good way since you'd need to add voices to the people telling you the quest.

The info would just have to randomly appear in... I guess a note on your person since the there is no journal and I don't think it would fit well in the Quests section.

Despite how annoying finding some things could be, even with a fully fledged interactive map and directions on google, I still think that was a great feature. And with how nice the roads and the fact of with the mountains and stuff for landmarks it would have worked really well in Skyrim.