Forums » General Gaming

The Game Recommendations/Reviews Thread

• 82 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:27 PM EST

KOTOR, one of my favorite games of all time. 

• 82 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:27 PM EST

I am replaying Red Dead Redemption, still a great experience the third time through. 

• 82 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:32 PM EST

I'll recommend some strategy games:  Just about everything in the Total War series has been fun.  Some more then others.  Loved Empire, Rome and Medieval.  Great Mod Scene.

Also I liked Sins of a Solar Empire especially with the Star Trek Mod Sacrafice of Angels. 

Sid Meir's Pirates I still find super addicting.  They re-released it on IPhone and IPad. Still super fun. 

• 952 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:35 PM EST

I have KotOR II and if it's anything like the first one it must be incredibly good. It's by far the best Star Wars game I've ever seen out there. It was like really really good, there where some cool crafting options, lots of awesome companions, I mean, look at this assassination droid you can get

or the legendary Mandalore, leader of the Mandalorians,

You could customise your character in detail, there was a lot of options for skills and force powers to choose from and you could even make you Sith or Jedi character a master of guns instead of lightsabers. An impressive game indeed.

• November 6, 2012 2:38 PM EST

Yes, KOTOR I and II where extremely good games.

Wish we got a 3rd instead of godamned MMO The Old Republic though...

• 952 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:40 PM EST

If you like Empire you would maybe love Fall of the Samurai, you don't need to buy Shogun 2 for it if you haven't got that already and it features some similar gameplay but with cool new features like naval bombardments during land battles, gatling guns, a railroad to capture that can be used for fast transport on land, Ironclad warships, and ofcourse those traditional troops that are called samurai. It's a lot of fun to play.

• 952 posts
    November 6, 2012 2:43 PM EST

Atleast KotOR III would be a succes compared to what The Old Republic is now. Everyone who played the old games would want to buy it, and a lot of newcomers to the series as well. MMO's always attract less people.

• November 6, 2012 3:24 PM EST

Alright, I think I'll do a little something on Receiver.

This is an Indie game from what is probably my favorite indie dev - Wolfire Games

This is a relatively new game that was made in 7 days in Unity 3D. It's five dollars, though you can get it free with Overgrowth (I may do a little something on that game too)

The game is a relatively short almost 'rogue-like' kind of game - a phrase some of you may have heard from games like FTL - the game has a non-stop playing kind of pacing where once you die you just respawn and can continue playing quickly. You die in 1 bullet, or if you get hit by a taser, but that isn't as bad as it sounds.

There are 2 enemies, the flying drone which has a taser and will fly at you trying to take you down, and the turret which has a limited vision radius as it spins around, once it sees you it will start shooting at you. Now, the main focus of the game is realistic gun mechanics. You can open the slide (Ejecting bullets when you do so), take out the mag, refill the mag, cock and decock the gun, put on the safety etc.

So there are 3 guns so far, the Colt 1911, Glock 17 with Full Auto Mod, and Smith and Wesson Model 10 Victory Revolver. Each gun has different amounts of ammo for each clip (Or just the 6 round chamber for the revolver) as well as some differant features. The 1911 is the original first weapon from the game and is not special in any particular way, the Glock is a lot like the 1911 but has a full auto mod, and a much larger mag capacity (17 bullets I think), the Revolver is pretty cool, you have to eject the bullets every time you want to put more in and sometimes the rounds can get stuck, you put each bullet in 1 at a time (As with all the other guns), and you have single and double-action. You can cock the gun for each shot and you will have a more responsive/quicker shot, or you can not cock it and it will do that itself, taking a bit longer to fire. You can also spin the chamber and play a sort of russian roulette 

Each enemy has differant points on the body that it can be disabled from, some having differant effects, you can disable the gun from firing on the turret, but it will still beep and lock on, you might disable the... idk the part it spins around on and it may still be able to fire if you go in it's line of fire but you can usually sprint past or go around it.

The game is randomly generated with the areas being set pieces that come in a random order, you start with a random amount of magazines (If you have the Glock or Colt), ammo, and even states of which the gun are at (I've died because a round wasn't chambered when I tried to fire) You are looking for 11 tapes which sort of tell a loose story, but it isn't too important. As well as looking for the tapes you will always be looking for bullets on the ground to use in your gun. Also, when you see any gameplay you will see that the gun is disembodied, this is probably mainly because it would have taken a very long time to animate all the complex movements, and these guys only had 7 days to work on this.

I think that's it, so if you have 5 bucks to spare, look at Receiver. It's a fun little game that is great to just play whenever, maybe when you're waiting for something to download or whatever. And I'm pretty sure they may release another content update at some point, hopefully containing another couple guns.

EDIT: Oh, and go upvote it on Steam Greenlight! Receiver's Greenlight Page

• 377 posts
    November 6, 2012 5:27 PM EST

I love 'Sid Meier's Pirates!' I can't wait until the day they make a new one. All the ones that try to make a game similar to 'Pirates!' completely miss the mark.

• 952 posts
    November 6, 2012 5:33 PM EST

I played it at my cousins (or nephews, whatever word you use, in dutch they mean the same thing) house when I was a boy and loved it. I would love to play it again one day so a new one would be great. Although I doubt that will happen.

• 966 posts
    November 6, 2012 5:38 PM EST

Its an awesome game, you should still be able to order it somewhere, it's one of the few games everyone in my house plays.

• November 7, 2012 11:17 AM EST

Today: Cortex Command

Eh, it's hard to explain this game - so this is what I wrote in my Steam Recommendation:

Amazing game, if you can get past the difficulty curve and figure out how the game works you'll find a very enjoyable experience. Tons of variety in weapons, lots of strategy and chaotic fun. Unfortunately there is no Multiplayer, I think because of the engine they used's capabilities, but you can play a local game to your PC.

There is actually a demo, on a website called Softonic, it has this weird installer where you have to run an exe before you actually get the game install's exe but I didn't get any viruses or anything. The demo will let you play the game in an older version with limited time, unless you play the tutorial in campaign, I played that for awhile and had a lot of fun and figured out a lot of the mechanics and such.

So yeah, get this game. Physics, digging for gold, shooting, variety, strategy, buy it if it interests you at all, it's awesome and sometimes hilarious fun. There are some bugs, but they are kinda minor, considering this is technically still Alpha.

Check out some gameplay footage of it, you'll know if you'll like it. Really good game. Highly recommended.

• 82 posts
    November 7, 2012 12:20 PM EST

I totally would get both, but unfortunately my laptop can't run anything fun.  However, I will be investing in a gaming rig.  I will run from console gaming and never look back...Unless they don't release Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC.

• 82 posts
    November 7, 2012 12:21 PM EST

I played it on my Ipad recently.  Still fun.  However, I was disappointed they took out the land tactical invasions.  but other then that everything was the same. 

• November 9, 2012 12:26 PM EST

Magicka So far:

Let's dive right into the mechanics.

In Magicka there are 8 elements that you use. You move with your mouse and QWER and ASDF are all the elements. You can control something like 6 elements at a time, or charge up sort of. So you can use AA (Lightning) SS (Arcane, which gives extra damage and turns the attack into a beam) and RR (Cold) to make a Beam of Cold Lightning and Arcane. So there are quite a lot of differant combinations and spells you can make by combining certain elements. Combining Water and Cold creates Ice, combining Fire and Water creates Steam, and there might be another kind of element like that.

The Elements Are: Water (Makes things wet, pushes them away, wet things are freezable, when cast by itself is a shortish range cone), Life (heals things, hurts some others, cures poison, when cast by itself is a beam), Shield (Hard to use, can create large shields on self or in front of you, must be boosted constantly to be maintained and strong, can create armor, probably other stuff I haven't figured out yet when cast by itself creates shield in front of you), Cold (can freeze wet things and liquids, cast by itself it is a cone, slows things down if not wet), Lightning (When cast is a short range spell but when it connects with something it can branch out to other things, when things are electricuted they will freeze every second or so, making them move much, much slower, can be combined with a variety of elements like cold to create very effective spells, if you are wet you will cast it on yourself damaging you if you aren't wearing the Tron robe), Arcane (When cast by itself is a beam, can combine with other elements to create powerful but slow moving beam spells,), Earth (When cast by itself is an extremely deadly projective, can create deadly projectile spells that explode with an element on impact,), Fire (Cast as a cone, does good damage, sets things on fire), Steam (Cone, makes things wet and damages them, can be combined with lightning and arcane to make an extremely powerful beam), Ice (When cast by itself casts a barrage of ice projectiles in front of you, makes extremely effective large area of effect attack when used as area attack)

So those are all the elements, there are still some things to cover like elements not working with each other but I don't need to go into much more detail than to explain the elements.

As well as the elements are spells, which require that you use a special specific order of elements to cast it. There are some really cool ones like Summon Elemental, which makes a sort of cocoon, if you attack this thing with any element, it will awaken a powerful elemental with that element as a weapon. Easy spammability makes these fun and OP  You can also cast lightning storms and raise dead, revive players, summon a phoenix that always seems to get you killed (It's like an airstrike, but I haven't figured out how to use it safely...), a lot of these are OP, like Lightning Bolt which you get early on and can spam at anything and kill them relatively easily with in a couple of hits (And you soon start to memorize the spell combos and cast them extremely quickly QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR QRDSR - Raising lots of Undead) though if you have players with you (and you should) if they don't have the Tron robe you will most likely kill them and they will be pissed and kill you back.

In this game there are tons of robes, most of them are in DLC but you get 6 or 7 in Vanilla Magicka I think. I haven't tried any of the DLC, but I want to. How could Magicka: Vietnam be bad?  Anyway, you get a few different characters/robes/items that each can have quirks or good items. The Resovoir Robe gives you a Colt M1911 though it isn't that great, though he looks pretty badass. The Space Marine one which gives tons of health but you can't get healed and you heal over time, my favorite (And others as well it seems) the Tron robe which gives you immunity to lightning, heal with lightning, weakness to water and arcane, and you look pretty cool. Stuff like that, oh and the Reddit Robe 

But yeah, it's really fun and there is some variety in the different characters/robes. All the dlc is pretty cheap, especially if you get it on sale. The big DLC are about 3-6 dollars and all the others are maybe 1-2 dollars. So you can get it all pretty cheap, getting the Magicka Complete pack isn't that expensive, though I didn't get it cause I got the 4-pack and that already gave me 1 extra copy I didn't necessarily need.

But anyway, the best thing about this game is the Co-op, trolling your friends and all the friendly fire and raging at your friends to revive you absolutely fantastic and hilarious, making the game much better than single player. Do not get this game unless you expect to find an unreliable 1 night stand with someone who may not ever play again or will go farther than you because you don't play for awhile. Get some steam friends to get it (Or get it for them, Magicka has been 75% off a lot of times and you can get the 4-pack for 7 dollars) and then play it with them. This game is fun Singleplayer but the whole experience is the co-op.

So the main bulk of the game (Or at least I think) is the Adventure mode which is a linear campaign experience which is full of references and comedy. It's really funny and if you skip through cutscenes you're an idiot. Things like being able to push a captain down a very 300-esque whole gaining the achievement THIS IS MAGICKA!!! after some related dialogue is awesome, as well as getting an M60 and gaining the achievement First Blood after killing someone with it, as well as a very appropriate picture for the achievement. As well as many other references to Dragonball Z (Yes it's that), Diablo, MLP, even Steam itself. This is the kind of game where you will be eagerly awaiting the next achievement and will be shift-tabbing to see what it was.

As well as adventure mode there are challenge and versus modes. Versus is PvP obviously, and challenge is a variety of differant co-operative... challenges. There's a survival, one where you survive on ice (Which can be melted and frozen back again), one that limits your elements you can use, and things like that.

All in all, Magicka is a full-featured game that is extremely fun to play solo but it's better together. The game is relatively cheap especially if it's on sale, so either convince those friends of yours to get it or do them a favor and pay the extra five bucks (If it's 75% off, which is when you should be getting this) to give 3 of your buddies a game to play with you. Just make sure they're tolerant to constant death and annoyance by everyone 

• 38 posts
    November 9, 2012 4:17 PM EST

I am actually in the minority about the ending to ME3.  I liked it.  It left a lot open to interpretation while still closing the chapter as a whole.  I know some ppl thought "nothing changed no matter which choice you picked" but I think that was a creative choice made by the writers to make a point that no matter what, we can't fully control technology and coexist with growing tech before it is counter productive.  Knowledge is power but too much knowledge can lead to destruction.

• November 10, 2012 1:31 AM EST

Well there is the Indoctrination Theory, which would improve it a little but they needed more closure on the other characters and the final battle could've been alot better.

• 38 posts
    November 10, 2012 3:04 AM EST

Yes, i do actually agree with that but from a macro view, I enjoyed that they left it with so many questions.  I do think they needed more info on what happened to all the characters but otherwise I like that they leave everyone guessing as to what happened.

As far as the indoctrination theory, I have mixed feelings about it.  Idk.  It makes sense to me but just seems a bit...strange, out of the ordinary.  I guess my opinions don't matter though according to good ol' lanep up there