Forums » Elder Scrolls

Tactical Advantages/Disadvantages of Nord Ruins, Towers, and Cry

• 38 posts
    October 20, 2012 11:00 AM EDT
    This is dedicated to finding out any and all tactical advantages/disadvantages of Ancient Nord structures, once they have been cleared, to determine if they could be repurposed as Strongholds/Evacuation Shelters... Input is greatly appreciated...

-Talos
    • 952 posts
    October 20, 2012 11:14 AM EDT

Ergm, ehum, I have this mod named Tundra defense which make you literally build an outpost (but literally build it, like placing buildings and objects) and I build it at Forelhost. Here's a screenshot or 3. This is still a construction site to me since lots of thing need to be added.

The actuall centre.

The outpost from a distance.

This is the entrance from the backside, above the smithy and mine.

• 38 posts
    October 20, 2012 11:28 AM EDT
    NAME: Labrynthian
    TYPE: Ruin Complex
    ADVANTAGES: Surface has an entry from both the north and south, a force of twenty can easily hold this position. Southern approach is a staircase (vulnerable to attack from ramparts and parapets), northern approach is elevated (vulnerable to attack from platforms)
    Disadvantages: Vulnerable to attack from air, northern approach easily breached (with proper application of force
    DEFENSIVE STRATEGY: Cut off northern routes, archers and mages along walls and parapets, infantry divisions at both approaches
    ATTACK STRATEGY: Send skirmisher units to southern approach, infantry to periodically engage northern approach, and four-man Stealth units along the mountains for infiltration/insertion
    • 38 posts
    October 20, 2012 12:22 PM EDT
    Is there a position open for Garrison Commander or Lead Archer??
    • 38 posts
    October 20, 2012 1:09 PM EDT
    Yush... (^.^)
  • October 21, 2012 12:21 AM EDT

Valtheim Towers is easily defendable, and guards the main road between Whiterun and Windhelm( both very important cities).

• 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 10:17 AM EDT
    I concur... I'm about to see if it is vulnerable to a mountain approach...
    • 856 posts
    October 21, 2012 10:49 AM EDT

Many of the ruins, towers, etc., are vulnerable to a mountain approach and these approaches would need to be guarded by the defenders.

• 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 11:55 AM EDT

Winterhold would be easy to defend. With the College, plains of frost, and sheets of ice in the water as barriers, few things would be getting through. A force of fifty (College Mages included) could hold this place for a long while. If need be, the route is short and sweet to Saarthal, which can have many traps set up after teams are sent to clear the Draugr. 

• 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 12:41 PM EDT
    I was eyeing Sarthaal as a possible evac point... One problem is that it's especially vulnerable to siege... The pit it's located in is an obvious kill-zone... If hostiles got there before the evac was complete it would be a massacre...
    • 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 1:06 PM EDT
    1. Atronach scouting party. If it isn't secure, although this is a shot in the dark, the Shrine of Azura would be a good vantage point. If they didn't tear it down, however. There is always Septum Sigmus (I forget his name)'s outpost. It is rather large, and think about it- how many people are in the main area of Winterhold, College included? Thirty? It would be a tight pack, but you could do it.
    2. The College. In itself, The Midden could be an easy place to take everyone, as it is the "basement" of the college.
    • 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 1:14 PM EDT
    The Outpost is a trek... It would require either heavy cover, or advance warning... The College would be the safest bet, due to the narrow bridge, gate, and escape route via the Midden...
    • 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 1:31 PM EDT

I agree. Destroy the bridge after everyone is accounted for, then cycle the gates and guard patrols, throw up some college-wide protection spheres, begin mass production of atronachs...

• 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 1:52 PM EDT
    Leave the bridge intact... Rain arrows, Thu'um, and Destruction on it... You can also have a Mage placing Trap Spells on it, to hinder the enemy advance...
    • 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:05 PM EDT

I don't see the use. Construct another bridge with telepathy after siege is over. Bridge only leaves an access point. Runes/Traps shouldn't be used in plain sight, unless guarding doors. In which case, a plethora of ruins should exist on that door. Turn intruders into confetti.

• 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:18 PM EDT
    You'd need to mass-produce Frenzy Staves...
    • 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:21 PM EDT
    Psychological effect... Wipe out wave after wave on the bridge... They'll be forced to fall back...
    • 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:24 PM EDT

Not if the commander is a retard. A retard in command is more dangerous than a horse in command. A better psychological effect would be launching people across the gap, enchanted with ridiculous things to make them hero-worthy. Having waves of enchanted soldiers come at you and you can't get the factory? It's a gigantic "Fuck you".

• 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:27 PM EDT

I disagree. While the mages are enchanting soldiers kit to take and to dish out a beating, civilian archers could be raining hell. A mage is easily killed by two men, one distracting, the other running in with a battleaxe screaming bloody murder and singing of mage skulls. 

• 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:29 PM EDT
    ... Remind me to NOT piss you off...
    • 38 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:33 PM EDT
    What about Fear??
    • 739 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:50 PM EDT

The magnitude of a poisons fear/frenzy effect is lacking though, by the time your character is level 20 they aren't going to help you much, even with 100 alchemy...

• 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 2:51 PM EDT

Frenzy is more productive. You'd have to have double the amount you would with Frenzy for fear. But keep in mind, Argonian, we are discussing tactics for a siege on the College at the moment- I am unsure if they have poisons on hand.

• 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 3:08 PM EDT

To Argonian, I would imagine a siege comes at a surprise. There are only two alchemy labs to my knowledge in the College. Frenzy spells would work, but poisons would be far harder for a surprise attack.

To Jo'Daro, you don't really have to understand. You just have to think: How would this survive an attack? That's what we're pondering, in depth. I'm a tactician first, a player second, and to me, discussing this is fun. I really can't explain it. Sorry.

• 21 posts
    October 21, 2012 3:11 PM EDT

I don't believe we were discussing actual leveled mechanics. If so, then I'd still resort to the spell version. I've never been one for poisons.