I have been thinking about the playable ES races quite a bit recently, and I thought it would be fun to list them from my favorite to my least favorite. Here is my ranking:
3, 4, and 5 are all really close, and I could probably change interchange all of them.
Any other High Elf or Orc fans out there? Tell us your list.
I love the Bretons for their mixture of Men and Mer. I'm a huge northern mythology fan so I love Nords for their Scandinavian look. Most of my characters are either Breton or Nord. My first character though, was a Dunmer because I thought they look badass (he had a mohawk and that snake-looking tattoo on his face) and I did a few runs with them. I love Bosmer for their ranger style and my favorite skill, archery. With Imperials and Redguards I did only a few characters but I'm re-playing a female Imperial ranger/scout character at the moment. From 7-10 the Altmer look the best and for me I take looks over functionality here XD I never played an Orsimer, Khajiit or Argonian because they look non-human but I prefer my characters to be human so I can relate more to them.
1 - Altmer
2 - Dunmer
3 - Orsimer
4 - Nords
5 - Redguards
6 - Argonians
7 - Imperials
8 - Khajiit
9 - Bosmer
10 - Bretons (Fuck Bretons, they'd be last on my list even I got into all the exotic races...)
1 and 2 are very much tied for me, as are 3 and 4 after that the order becomes less based on what I like and more based on what I dislike. I don't care much about Khajiit or Bosmer so they're lower than the races that interest me at least a little and Bretons...Well my opinion on Bretons is unchangeable, fuck 'em and their boring Human-ness.
Funny thing is, though I have no rational reason for this ranking... I'll die defending it!
Actually, let's just leave it at 'I have no rational reason for this ranking' xD
Ignore the first post. This is my actual list.
1. Tied; the Superior, Auri-El loving, pole up their arse, magick-users and Elven awesome that became Harbinger of the Companions in the first era & Big Bearded milk-drinking, Cow-humping, Lorkhan lovers - may their conflict reign forevers!
2. The group that comes out of Malacath's hairy, stinky armpits. Tusk ya! I find them charming!
3. Barenziah's race. Where the women just sleep around with eveyrthing that moves and then they live in mushrooms. STILT-RIDERS!!
4. The Skooma dealers, where a cat as big as a house can fooook with a house cat and get something that stands on two legs, looks like an elf and is alive.
5. Only the Colovian part. Niba--wha? TOMATOES!!
6. Tree-hugging Cannibal Hippies. NOM, NOM, NOM, spinning around and around. Wait, that's Avatar. ;)
7. I hate sand, it's coarse and gets in everything, CURVED. SWORDS. And gods on crack.
8. Argonian werewolf biologists that drink tree crack and lay eggs and also seem to foook a lot of things.
9. What I play when I want to power game on Legendary. And petty kingdoms, lots of petty kingdoms, and vampire clans. And crazy people who run around the cold mountains in their fur underwear and rip out hearts of their warriors and replace them with bulbs, and foooook hagravens.
There ya go, my list. I really don't dislike any of them though. All have their charm and their great lore.
Howled it before and I'll howl it again.
What's with the list of ten races when there are only three?
3 Everyone else........
My selection of character races are based solely on role playing criteria.
1-2. Dunmer, Nord. They're basically tied. Freaking love them both and everything about 'em.
3-8. Altmer, Bosmer, Breton, Cyrodiil, Orsimer, Redguard. All tied for, "meh, when I'm in the mood."
9. Khajiit. I don't like playing beast-folk in any setting, but their mannerisms are endearing.
10. Argonian. If I'm going to play a furry, I'd prefer a mammal. They're also too alien for me to be able to really role play.
Werewolves also suck because furries are degenerates and I've had werewolves ruin TES D&D games. Vampirism ftw.
5 and 6 are a toss-up, but I think I prefer Imperials to Bosmer, if only slightly (I like Romans, too). 8, 9, and 10 are also really close, but that's probably only because I've started taking an interest in Khajiit and Orcish lore recently (Still need to brush up on Redguards a bit). In fact, only the first three are unlikely to change.
I should probably just point out, that if Bethesda ever makes Sloads playable, they'd be right up there with Dunmer. Don't ask why, I just love 'em!
Hmm, let me see...