Forums » Elder Scrolls

Potion Session 101

• 577 posts
    November 27, 2011 10:22 AM EST

Today I plan on spending around 2hrs just expirementing making potions. I have a butt-load of ingrediants in my house with a lab. I may get real into it and take them all up to the College for the full effect! Plus there's some ingrediants readily available for me. Tell me some of your potions that you have created? Whether it would be poison, health, magika, stamina, strengh, invisibility, etc. I'm looking forward to "tasting" all the ingrediants to see it's effect.

Have any of you guys done a "Potion-Sesh" before? and if so...your thoughts?

• 773 posts
    November 27, 2011 10:35 AM EST

Why not collect all your 'results' together and make a Potion 'Guide' for site? Either as a blog, or in the Walkthroughs and Guide Group

• 856 posts
    November 27, 2011 11:43 AM EST

I've only messed around a little.  Wheat and Blue Mountain flower makes a heal/health potion. I think the monarch butterfly wings also has a heal effect.  Red mountain flower has a regen magicka, while the purple mountain flower regens stamina.  Skeever tail, nightshade, deathbell, nirnroot all can be used for poisons.   I have at least the first effect for every ingredient that I've found, and have the ability to make several types of potions, but that's all I can remember without going in game to check.

What is nice about the alchemy system - it keeps track of the different effects you've discovered, in a separate category.  For example if you've discovered blue mountain flower has the heal effect, not only will this show up in the blue mountain flower effects, but you'll have a 'heal' option at the mixing table - there you'll find the blue mountain flower, and any other ingredients that you've discovered that have that effect (if in inventory).  Also if you mix two potions and they fail (no common effects), the next time you try to test one of them at the mixing table, the second will be greyed - to remind you.

• 29 posts
    November 27, 2011 11:54 AM EST

Ice wraith teeth+ Chaurus Eggs = invisibility, if you don't want to waste nirnroot.

• 77 posts
    November 27, 2011 12:36 PM EST

Dude, don't waste the Nirnroot...

• 9 posts
    November 27, 2011 12:52 PM EST

Why not waste the nirn root? whats its purpose?! And The Crimson Ones? Got Loads OfThem Lol 

• 3 posts
    November 27, 2011 2:06 PM EST

I prefer Vampire Dust + Chaurus egg... I seem to run into more vamps than wraiths. :)

• 132 posts
    November 27, 2011 3:11 PM EST

I find a ridiculous amount of wraiths. Once got attacked by four at the same time...that was NOT fun.

• 739 posts
    November 27, 2011 4:17 PM EST

Had a very very quick dabble in the lab, Giants toe + Wheat make a very very expensive potion (think its fortifys health), you could possibly just do laps of city alchemists at character level 1 and make a fortune from this recipe.

• 77 posts
    November 28, 2011 1:51 PM EST

Because the amount of nirnroot you have is equal to the amount of awesome you have.

I made the mistake of selling all my nirnroot :/

• 7 posts
    December 3, 2011 7:28 PM EST

I used up all my Crimson Roots for a poison potion. It does 180 damage plus another 28 damage every second for 10 seconds!

• 7 posts
    December 3, 2011 7:32 PM EST

I spent hours mixing random ingrediants together. I felt it was more enjoyable figuring it all out instead of just getting the perk.

I did noticed that some ingrediants are more potent than others. For example, Crimson Root and River Betty are more powerful for poisons than others.

• 140 posts
    December 3, 2011 7:45 PM EST

Dwarven oil is great for restore magicka potions, and can be found in Dwemer ruins.  Combine with red mountain flowers (an easy ingredient to find!).

• 668 posts
    December 4, 2011 9:27 PM EST

FIRE SPELL, kills wraiths FAST.

• 668 posts
    December 4, 2011 9:28 PM EST

If you eat the ingredients it will tell you what they can be used for but can sometimes do damage to you.

• 17 posts
    December 6, 2011 2:43 PM EST

Several recipes I have found that make a paralysis potion.  These are 2 ingredient potions and you could add a thrid.  Such as, Mora Tapinella or Orange Dartwing - these two do not work for all formulas below.  Also, strength depends on your level of alchemy - mine is low right now, but these will paralyze for about 5 seconds plenty of time to put several more arrows in a foe.

Imp Stool + Swamp Fungal Pod (plenty of swamp fungal pod in the swamps)

Imp Stool + Human Flesh (Human Flesh found on Falmore)

Imp Stool + Canis Root (Canis Root hard to find unless at a shop)

Imp Stool + Briar Heart (Briar Heart found on Forsworn Briar Heart)

Swamp Fungal Pod + Human Flesh

Swamp Fungal Pod + Canis Root

Hope this helps 

• 6 posts
    December 7, 2011 5:41 PM EST
    I've found/bought a few blacksmith potions during my journey and was hoping to save some coin and just make my own for my new round of armor. I have a ton of ingredients stored up, but I'm not too far into discovering all their effects. Any of you alchemists know of a recipe I might find useful?
    • 577 posts
    December 7, 2011 7:50 PM EST

Yeah, I have yet to do my "expirements". I have a shitload of ingrediants also and would like to just sit there and mess around. Once you "taste" them, it's cool that it lets you know what it does and locks it in. There's some cool ones on here already. I think the key is the potency; getting the most out of the right combo.