Forums » The Lounge

What are you reading? Read anything awesome lately?

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 10:32 AM EDT

I've been trying to find some new horror authors as I feel like I have read EVERYONE there is. The more I look, the less I find. So, I was hoping you guys knew some good books for me to download. Right now I am reading The Five by Robert McCammon and I can't figure out if I like it or not. I'm just not sure where the story is going.

I just finished reading The Infected by Craig DeLouie though and that book was sooooooooo very good.

Gates of Fire, one of the best books evers.

• June 1, 2012 1:06 PM EDT

I just recently finished Sherlock Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles which my Grandma sent to me (She pretty much always sends me a book and maybe some cash for Birthdays and such, usually they're really good. She is a writer ) It was okay, the first half was extremely slow and boring but the second half was good. Pretty short though...

Before that IĀ read The Hunger Games series which was also good. It seems like every time I re-read a large series I do it faster than the last time...

• 966 posts
    June 1, 2012 1:09 PM EDT

Before that I read The Hunger Games series which was also good. It seems like every time I re-read a large series I do it faster than the last time...

No shit, Sherlock.

• 133 posts
    June 1, 2012 4:08 PM EDT

I've read American Gods, as well as most of Gaiman's works, and though his best work is surely on Comics, particularly Sandman, The Books of Magic and Black Orchid, this novel is a superb incursion in mythology field, full of refined irony and dark humor. If you like it, you will also like Anansi Boys that, though it's not a sequel to American Gods, takes place in the same universe where the myths interact with common people and has the same dark sense of humor, though not in the same epic scale.

• 133 posts
    June 1, 2012 4:17 PM EDT

I'm dedicated only to Science Fiction lately. On the last week I've read the 2 first books of Frederick Pohl's Heeche series, and I'm by halfway on the third one. When I finish this serie I have the intention to read at least the first book of the Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I have the 7 books on my Kindle, and if I get to like the first one I'll definitlely go on for the complete series. I read fast and I read a lot - like 4 to 6 books on a month - and any good fantasy or sci-fi I get is quicly devoured by my hunger of adventure.

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:45 PM EDT

I have the Game of Thrones books on my Kindle and began to read them but my bf doesn't want me to know what is going to happen in the show before he does. :P So I have to wait to read them.

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:46 PM EDT

Hmmm, didn't Neil Gaiman do the horror series that used to be on HBO? I can't remember the name of it but it was really good. I'll have to look for this one. Thanks, Samuel.

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:49 PM EDT

I never read the Hunger Games, Julian. I don't know, they just don't seem to appeal to me at all. I may read them sometime, I'm not sure. Everyone I know that is literary and not just literate goes "Eh" about them so I am on the fence.

Your Grandma is a writer? That's awesome. What does she write?

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:50 PM EDT

Alduin, Shhhhhish!

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:53 PM EDT

RIcardo, I haven't read much fantasy. Of course Tolkien and Burroughs, and I absolutely love Ray Bradbury but I really want to read some good horror if I can find some. I just finished all 11 of the Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs and though I loved them, I am sort of burned out on sci-fi right now.

I read an enormous amount so I devour books. I need a good 3000 pager or something. :P Stephen King needs to write something like Under the Dome again. That book was sweeeeeet!

• 144 posts
    June 1, 2012 8:29 PM EDT

I've played all the gears games and loved them. now im reading the books and LOVING THEM!

• 668 posts
    June 1, 2012 8:49 PM EDT

No need to. It gives me something to look forward to. In the mean time I can play video games.

• 342 posts
    June 1, 2012 8:58 PM EDT

hmm haven't been able to read much lately mostly just waiting for the next books in the series' to come out

I did just finish reading

if you are after a thriller? every 40 pages or so there is a code you put into the web address for extra scenes done as 3 minute clips.

• 133 posts
    June 1, 2012 10:16 PM EDT

I've read it either and though it's a minor unpretentious work - it was originally conceived as a TV series that I've never watched - I kind of liked it more than the other two novels because it's closer in style and atmosphere to his work in comic books. And I loved Door - that girl is a standout!

• 133 posts
    June 1, 2012 10:21 PM EDT

I've read most of O.S. Card work, including the original Ender series and the Ender Shadow's series (that is not as good as the first one, but has its moments). Heinlein is my favorite writer and I've read Moon is a Harsh Mistress a zillion of times. That book does not get old.

• 133 posts
    June 1, 2012 10:41 PM EDT

Mike is the more complex and simpathethic non human character in all sci-fi. Maybe the only one who gets closer is Hal (not from Clarke's short story but from the Kubrick's movie 2001 - a space odissey). I see we have similar tastes in literature. I have collected a great number (I mean really great) of ebooks in various formats in sci-fi and fantasy. If you want something specific to read, just let me know. Maybe I have it and I certainly can lend to you.

• 668 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:19 AM EDT

I've never read Heinlein yet, so I'll give it a try when I am ready to do some sci-fi-ing. :P I'm sorta burned out for now. I want some fresh, different horror. I used to like Edward Lee but now he just plays gross out and doesn't flesh out his characters at all anymore. His last novel was bad. I also love Joe R. Lansdale but I've read all he has written more than once. As well as Jack Ketchum, Bentley Little, Ramsey Campbell...

I NEED some new horror!

• 668 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:21 AM EDT

That sounds interesting Charlie. Didn't it interfere with the flow of the narrative? I can read 40 pages quite rapidly.

• 342 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:26 AM EDT

i actually read the book first without using the codes then i went back to watch them afterwards. it doesn't detract from the story to skip them but just adds a bit more to the tale in giving you more of an .....understanding? of the main antagonistĀ  i guess.

• 668 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:39 AM EDT

That's different. I'll see if Matt can find a download of it.

• 133 posts
    June 2, 2012 8:25 AM EDT

Just read the papers!

• June 2, 2012 4:01 PM EDT

Mostly short-stories and such.

She isn't a fully fledged publishing kind of writer but she takes classes and writes often on the side, I don't remember what her 'real' job is.