Forums » The Lounge

The Wind Through the Keyhole

• 668 posts
    May 23, 2012 1:18 AM EDT

I just finished the newest Dark Tower book and it was scary. I did not want to put it down and sat out on my porch for hours until it was closed. I was disappointed at first glance when I realized that it wasn't a "true" Dark Tower book, in other words a continuation from the Tower. However, I will take a seat around Roland's camp fire any day, if it do ya, and say thank ya. ;)

• 966 posts
    May 23, 2012 8:05 AM EDT

I will read this soon. Zeg Dankie!

• 668 posts
    May 23, 2012 9:23 AM EDT

What does that mean? :P Should I ask??

You should read it NOW, it's sooooooo good. Scary! I love the Dark Tower series and read it about once every couple years. Now I have a new story to add. I was kind of sad that they weren't going to give Roland a chance for redemption in this Dark Tower book, I thought it was going to be about that, but no. But it was still AMAZING!!!

• 966 posts
    May 23, 2012 9:25 AM EDT

Its the Dutch version of say thank ya

It wont be long before i read it, my dads reading it right now lol, i get it when hes finished

• 668 posts
    May 23, 2012 9:31 AM EDT

At least it's a short novel, so you won't have to wait long. It doesn't have the "crack your skull open" thickness that seems to be a characteristic with the Dark Tower Series.

• May 23, 2012 10:55 AM EDT

Wth are these books and why are so many of you reading them?

• 966 posts
    May 23, 2012 10:58 AM EDT

Its the dark tower series by Stephen King. Many people read them because they are reaaaaaaaly good

• May 23, 2012 10:59 AM EDT

Stephen King? Wierd, never heard of them. Surprised. I thought I knew most of Stephen King's most popular books.

• 966 posts
    May 23, 2012 11:03 AM EDT

And you never heard of the dark tower series? Its like his most famous series O_o

Thats really weird yeah, lol

• 952 posts
    May 23, 2012 6:01 PM EDT

You should all give the Eragon series a try, only 4 good but big books, with very good, well written, exciting and adventurous adventures.

• 133 posts
    May 23, 2012 9:22 PM EDT

I've read 3 or 4 Stephen King's books in the 80's, and I had made up my mind to never read anything from him again. But you sound so passionate about this dark tower thing that I simply have to check if I'm missing something great. I'll read the first book by next 2 weeks and I'll let you know my impresion on it.

• 133 posts
    May 23, 2012 9:29 PM EDT

I've read the first and second Eragon book. I had watched the movie and I thought it was a failure only because of bad production and bad directing. It wasn't - the book was writen by a 15 years old boy and it seems, in every page, to have been writen by a 15 years old boy raised by his greatmother, who doesn't have any clue about how human feelings work. It's childish and derivative. It would have made a good neverwinter nights gameplot, but it simply doesn't work as a novel. Sorry for sayng this.

• 668 posts
    May 24, 2012 12:05 AM EDT

Julian, you don't know Roland? Dark Tower series is really good western/sci-fi/horror/romance by Stephen King. His magnum opus. These are the books that tie all the King books together in a huge intricate web.

• 668 posts
    May 24, 2012 12:12 AM EDT

Ricardo, you have to read the first two in the Dark Tower series. The first one, The Gunslinger, is basically like a "guide book" for the adventure, a short precursor to the story. By the third book you will be so enchanted with the characters and places that the story take you to. Oy was my favorite, the silly, loyal bumbler (a kind of a foxy/doggie thing.) And of course Roland of Gilead. You really feel that you are carried along with the members of this group (ka tet if it do ya.) I hope you enjoy them.

Oh and why the hatred for King? What books did you read?

• 668 posts
    May 24, 2012 12:46 AM EDT

Adventurous adventures are the best kind, dieter. I just started the Game of Thrones books or I would try those, although ricardo's critique doesn't seem all that flattering. He IS our resident critic you know.  

• 952 posts
    May 24, 2012 5:49 AM EDT

No offense, but that's total BS to me. I toroughly enjoyed reading all books of the Eragon series and they seemed perfectly fine to me. The writing style was enjoyable, the plot was very good as well, it always had something unexpected when you wanted it, and maybe people didn't have normal feelings, but hey, that's because it's fantasy remember? And if it was Eragon who seems weird to you, that's because he is a joung man, without much experiënce in life and who suddenly got one of the last dragons and got the weight of the enitre world on his shoulders. No offense.

• 952 posts
    May 24, 2012 5:50 AM EDT

Maybe he's too critic then. I have read a lot of books myself as well, from a lot of genres and writers, and I found that the Eragon series was one of the best fantasy series I encountered.

• 342 posts
    May 24, 2012 6:14 AM EDT

hehe Eragon has my seal of approval :P if that count for anything, I found them quite enjoyable and really the first 2 books only sounded like a young kid because at the time that's what Eragon was he grew up a lot in the third and fourth book.

• 342 posts
    May 24, 2012 6:15 AM EDT

probably Carrie and Misery  if you want some good SK read The Dead Zone or the Stand.

• 668 posts
    May 24, 2012 9:37 AM EDT

Ha, Charlie, I was thinking Christine and Maximum Overdrive. Maximum Overdrive is perhaps the silliest movie I've seen evs. I agree on The Stand, also Dreamcatcher and IT.

• 668 posts
    May 24, 2012 9:40 AM EDT

Maybe...but I wouldn't tell him that if I were you. He may beat you soundly about the head and chest area. :P