Forums » The Lounge

My Hero!

• 668 posts
    May 15, 2012 10:56 PM EDT

There were so many people through the years who inspired me, and helped me to grow as a person. I just wanted to dedicate a thread to the special people in our lives that help shape the person we become.

Albert Einstein who made science fascinating

Roberto Clemente, an amazing baseball player who died being a hero to people in need

Stephen Hawking for his infectious love of space and time

H.P. Lovecraft who gave me my first taste of horror, my life-long love

• 133 posts
    May 16, 2012 12:11 AM EDT

I'll give you four:

1- Charles Darwin - All great scientists were brilliant people - Darwin wasn't - he was just a very observant common guy who changed the world by allowing himself to look at what everybody else refused to see;

2 - Joe Strummer- The greatest composer of the punk rock could resume a man's life in a few sentences, and he always kept his integrity as an artist - see Janie Jones - but even the best men have their flaws and, in his case, the flaw was a weak heart that took him away too soon;

3 - Robert A. Heinlein -  This is the wise man who lured me to be an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy with his original tales and unique style, and also has formed a good portion of my opinions and prejudices;

4 - Charles, le Chauve (Charles, the Bald) - I had to mention a political leader as a hero and this is my best choice - he was king of France and emperor of the Holy Empire for 11 years in the worst times of the middle ages. I really don't know much about his reign, but any king that gets to be known by his posterity for his baldness deserves my respect;