Forums » Elder Scrolls

Upgrading my PC for Skyrim.

• 59 posts
    April 13, 2012 1:27 PM EDT

Really not sure where this should go as there are no technical areas in this forum and since I am doing this for Skyrim I thought it would go here. So I am going to upgrade my PC as soon as I can but honestly, I am pretty clueless when it comes to hardware. When I first got my PC Crysis first came out, it could play it on highest quality like a dream, now though its pretty old compared to recent computers. Can anyone give me some suggestions to get it back up to date? Money isn't an issue, though realistic if you could be so kind, I don't want to make a start at Skynet.

• April 13, 2012 1:54 PM EDT

We've had 2 or 3 discussions on this already.

I'd go search forem in the forum (Pun intended)

• 59 posts
    April 13, 2012 2:07 PM EDT

Oh, sorry! Suuure thing ^^ I will search around.

• 59 posts
    April 13, 2012 2:13 PM EDT

Yeah, I can't find them at all. I searched "upgrade" and found nothing. Any suggestions about finiding them? I found one but its not what I need.

• April 13, 2012 2:28 PM EDT

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/forum/topics/mods-are-they-worth-it

and

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/forum/topics/help-me-build-or-buy-a-gaming-pc

Have info in the comments on mods, if they're worth it, and some help from member on getting/building a PC etc.

• 773 posts
    April 13, 2012 3:46 PM EDT

Imeera, it would be a big help if you could post your current specs. Then it would be easier to make recommendations about what needs upgrading 

• 59 posts
    April 14, 2012 7:46 AM EDT

Okay, here you go! ^.^

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz Processor

NVIDIA GeForce GT 440

8GB of RAM.

Is that enough? =}

• 773 posts
    April 14, 2012 8:34 AM EDT

Well, I am no expert, but my first impression would be that the graphic card is a bottleneck on that system

I checked the 'ranking' of graphic cards on the official forums, and whilst it does not specifically name the GT440, it puts the GT430 into the category of 'medium to low'. I would hazard a guess that the GT440 is a modest upgrade to the GT430, and that list recommends cards with a prefix of GTX or GTS, rather than the standard GT.

You've obviously got plenty of memory, so that isn't an issue, and the processor looks reasonable to me. Could be better, but without a much more high-end graphic card, upgrading the processor wouldn't really help

As I say, I'm not an expert, but that would be my view  Hopefully others with more tech knowledge will have some insight

• 59 posts
    April 14, 2012 9:55 AM EDT

Oooh thanks Paul! ^.^ I will start looking and see what new graphics cards are out there. I am planning to wipe my system too after saving anything important. I have so much junk on there I can't even find amymore xD So that will help too. You sure I don't have to get a better processor for more recent games?

• 13 posts
    April 14, 2012 11:23 AM EDT

I just recently (within the last Two months) Built my own Computer, It runs Skyrim easily on Ultra settings and doesn't skip a beat. And the price was reasonable around 1100$ (with Express shipping) so around 950 - 1000$ if you're patient. If you can assemble it and install the drivers yourself. But I would just go to Sites like Newegg and look around, you can build amazing computers for pretty Cheap. Plus they have nice sales on lots of the time!

• 59 posts
    April 14, 2012 11:56 AM EDT

Thanks! That sounds exactly like something I could use! Shame Newegg doesn't cater for the UK too. Or it may, it says not being able to ship to standard P.O. Boxes. However, Newegg can ship to residential P.O. Boxes in rural areas, whatever that means as all places in the UK are P.O Boxes xD But it uses UPS which is really bad and can russle up charges over £30 which is about $50. Last time I used a company that used UPS was for makeup and they charged £37 for a £15 buy. Not happy. So if a US site usues UPS at all I don't go near it!