Forums » Elder Scrolls

Tell me about your canonical Dragonborn.

• 180 posts
    January 20, 2015 7:30 AM EST

I got to thinking about Oblivion recently and remembered the character who I considered to be my Canonical CoC. I don't remember his name, but he was a custom class Orc using heavy armour and a warhammer. I created him originally to complete all of the Daedric quests, but along the way he got entangled in the main story and saved Nirn. 

What I find strangest about him being my canonical CoC was that he was only created six months before Skyrim's release. Before that, I had an Imperial knight who I made to complete the main quest when I first got the game in '07 who was my canon hero. 

I want to know about your canonical heroes from Skyrim, but also other ES games. 

Did you ever replace your canon heroes?

Do you consider your canonical heroes to be your main/ favourite character? (I don't but that's a topic for another time)

How do all these heroes fit into a timeline together? Is there any connection between them? 

• 1467 posts
    January 20, 2015 7:53 AM EST
    Originally my Nevarine (stuffed the spells up for sure, oh well) was my Hero of Kvatch and I still remember his name.

Argon White-Tail, or was it Agron White-Tail. It was one of them anyway. He was a scoundrel, a thief, an assassin but still fit in as a Hero, he is to this day my Favourtie Morrowind/Oblivion character simply because I had the best experiance with him.

I don't actually have a canon Dragonborn yet, I've never played as a character trying to, truly be Dragonborn he's always had some reason to gain power or something, never just being Dragonborn to be Dragonborn. Maybe I should write a Build on him, based off of myself naturally, by now I wouldn't be surprised if he became my 1421st Dragonborn.
    • 47 posts
    January 20, 2015 12:39 PM EST

A Redguard warrior for Morrowind and a Breton battlemage for Oblivion/Skyrim. I usually use magic for buffing and enchanting, never did a complete walkthrough with a mage in TES. Now that I think about it, I only did a mage (wizard) build in Neverwinter Nights 1 and struggled to complete the game and the DLC with him. So, in a way a do have a cannon, a warrior with buffs.

• 1595 posts
    January 20, 2015 12:48 PM EST

It's a funny thing but my first two playthroughs of any fantasy game follow a trend which started with Oblivion when came out. The character I'm fondest of and closest to "canonical" was an Imperial raised in Highrock called Jean d'Lumiere, a custom knight. My other favourite is a female Nord ranger called Hild. Honourable mention to Lora gra-Axroar, a heavy armoured two handed warrior.

These weren't my first two by any means. My first character was an Imperial agent, a class which the game recommended. I didn't know the levelling system back then so ended up raising my Speech skill above all others. He became a vampire and fled into a troll inhabited cave to escape the light but couldn't beat the troll or even sneak by it. It was a lose-lose situation and I restarted.

It wasn't until Jean that I truly started roleplaying a character, which I guess is the reason I have a trend now. Do my characters fit into the same timeline? More like a parallel universe I guess.

• 149 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:22 PM EST

I have a vague idea of who I'd like to have as heroes in Morrowind. It would probably be a trio: a young female Dunmer as the Nevarine, a female Argonian treeminder, and some other... guy. I don't know who or what he'd be. XP

In Oblivion, I have two canon heroes, both of whom were characters I played as. The first one is a disgraced Imperial Legionnaire named Tylus Fannon. He becomes the champion of Cyrodiil. The other is a black scaled Argonian thief named Nelix. He becomes the grey fox. He's also a distant ancestor to Dar-Meena in DOTE (though this isn't relevant to that storyline, nor will I ever mention it - it's just one of those ideas that floats around in my head).

As for Skyrim...

...hopefully most folks around here know who my canon heroes are. :D

Chases-The-Wind and Dar-Meena were the first two. They were originally a duo, created side by side for a single playthrough. Reinhardt was added in later for variety's sake, and Falura came after that. Chase was the only one who originated as a player character. The other three were followers from the beginning, though the appearances of Reinhardt and Dar-Meena were taken directly from characters I played as in the past.

• 661 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:30 PM EST

I don't have a canonical hero but a friend of mine created a character that fits the bill. We titled him the 'Hero of Heroes." Funny name but none of us have seen a character like his before. Truly remarkable, and I don't think I will ever forget the fun I had playing, and watching the character evolve into the coolest breton I've seen to date. His name was Mathyas Shiro. He will be missed. 

• 100 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:32 PM EST

I don't think I've ever run a canonical Dragonborn. The closest I got to feeling appropriately heroic was defeating the main quest as the Master Monk. 

My latest melee character might take the cake for perfect anti hero though. Raised by giants, hes a savage who wears the boots and gauntlets of the Old Gods, the bare-chest fur cape armor variant, and a Stormcloak officer helm. He often goes wearing only his kilt and fur cape (chest fur armor). He smiths his own stuff, including his Nordic Greatsword (a jagged piece of steel with fur wrapped around it seemed perfect.) 

He eats people. Both in werewolf form and in human form. Its basically a Vargr variant. He beat Alduin because it was a personal challenge. Eventually he'll beat Miraak, because he is equally insufferable. Currently he is roaming the wilds, training before confronting Mora's champion. He childishly loves Frea, but is ashamed to have been part of the deal with Mora that killed her father. He ran from the final fight with Miraak because of this, under the pretense that he was not ready to fight (I still haven't beaten that DLC).

He considers his lycanthropy a curse; he considers Namiras gift a curse. He hates the gods and the daedra. Being raised by giants made him very unfriendly with society, and the curses made him snappy and decapitaty; He has a bounty in all Skyrim save Windhelm, and he only uses Windhelm to trade stuff. Ulfric appreciates the favoritism given him during the negotiating of the ceasefire.

He likes long walks in the Reach, picking fights with Forsworn and Dwemer metal-men, and mead. It was with this character I came up with an RP on health potions. He either had a wine-skin full of healing potion to chug from (letting it run down his fiery red beard), or my favorite- he'd slam bottles of healing potion over his head mid-combat. 

My favorite character in Oblivion was the Vancian Thief (Oblivionified basically). Running that guy through the Shivering Isles was perfect. Becoming the god of madness was way more exciting and fun than being Dragonborn. I miss that craziness. 

• 149 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:33 PM EST

Yes. I created them using the creation kit. That's how they came to be. :)

I have Chase as a follower as well. Mostly for screenshot purposes.

• 661 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:36 PM EST

Wish I could do that. *sighs* 

• 149 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:41 PM EST

It's not as hard as you think. (So long as you've got a PC version of the game)

• 661 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:46 PM EST

Wait, raised by Giants? dafuq bruh? 

• 100 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:50 PM EST

I found the lack of lore on Giants to be a perfect opening for such a character. Who is to say what a Giant camp would do if they were left with a baby in a basket. 

I also went walking with giants occasionally. If you find wandering giants walking across the landscape, they arent hostile. I liked to keep pace and follow them around, as if we knew each other. 

• 661 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:54 PM EST

Cool stuff dude, half of the giants are my friends, and the other half are apart of my giant army!

• 88 posts
    January 20, 2015 1:57 PM EST

My current Imperial - Desterius Aurelius. 

A companion who was doing a job when a dragon attacked, and it turns out he is the Dragonborn. He is my current playthrough, and I am using him to figure out which mods are worth keeping .. so I probably won't be able to play him again after I'm done with him.

I also use him to figure out what I want to change.

• 8 posts
    January 20, 2015 2:41 PM EST

Trevor Deathhand just kidding <3

I like to think of my canonical Dragonborn as a simple reformed bandit, working under the "facade" of being a mercenary in order to make by. A straightforward sword-and-board user and a believer of the virtues of iron and steel over any other exotic metals, his past as a bandit of foreign lands sees him open to all forms of combat, so long as they remain practical and trustworthy in use. He sees no shame in magic, stealth, or archery, and uses them when best applicable, though he understands their limitations just as much as he does their strengths. 

A man of no great merit, his past proves that he is more of a survivor, rather than a leader, scholar or soldier of fortune. He's a person who toughs things out and learns to move on, regardless of tragedy and loss (I let my pets and followers die instead of reloading =D ). Someone neutral, yet brutally self-interested - one that does not seek trouble, but of whom isn't afraid of using force to achieve what he wants. Averagely athletic, neither bright nor stupid...you know! An otherwise forgettable mercenary, armed only with experience, an open mind, and lots of guts. 

Overall, what he values most is is freedom of choice, and freedom of fate. Predetermined or not, so long as he is able to go and do what he pleases, when he pleases, and wherever he pleases, he is a happy man. That being said, this simple...somewhat vague thing was the driving force behind the character's decisions, for both good and bad. 

Not the most "original", I know, but I feel like that character in particular best encompassed the spirit of Skyrim, and what it meant to become "Dragonborn". Someone not focused on statistical advantages in comparison to what they felt like wearing and using, and what made them feel comfortable and at home, regardless of the consequences. Playing them felt "strong" in that sense, what with the use of personal whim, rather than power and theme as a guideline, and I felt that in its raw plainness it brought out a surprising amount of flavor and, dare I say it, "uniqueness" in its gameplay. 

I get the feeling that I've said a whole load of nothing...but bleh, I'm posting this anyway. I don't remember my character's name, but I doubt it even mattered after a while. =D

• 145 posts
    January 20, 2015 4:07 PM EST

All of my characters fall onto the same timeline some way or another. For instance, I think my first real playthrough, a female Khajiit, was my canonical Dragonborn. She was a jack of all trades, but a master of none, as I didn't really know what I was doing. I always imagined her as level-headed yet stern. My second playthrough, a Nord mage named Radvir Rock-Breaker, was one of her adventuring partners, the Archmage of Winterhold, and utterly insane. He was a ton of fun, and the most recent save I have of him is him standing in the Rift completely naked except for a chef's hat. 

Amryndil Sarys, a Dunmer, was the character I got to the highest level on, and the only character I've had to get to level 100 Conjuration. His name is sort of a play on my name, and I thought it sounded okay for a Dunmer. He was a vampire, an Imperial soldier, and leader of the Thieves Guild (at this point I still didn't know what I was doing).

• 1217 posts
    January 20, 2015 4:22 PM EST

I don't really have a canon one yet. My first playthrough is an Argonian who's done almost everything except restoring the thieves guild and picking up all the daedric artifacts. But he doesn't have much of a character. My most advanced and structured character with a story is Alazir, but as an anti-hero/villain, I don't really want him to be canonical. I've actually never given much thought to having a canon playthrough like in Mass Effect. I kind of feel like it wouldn't make a difference since nothing carries over between games (except by head canon).

• 44 posts
    January 21, 2015 1:38 AM EST
    My canon CoC was a constantly drunk Breton "priest" in the service of Mara. He was a noob in the Mages Guild and the self proclaimed "Lord and Master" of the Fighters Guild.

My canon Neravarine on the otherhand was a humble Argonian pilgrim on a mission to end slavery and see the world. Which kind of makes sense with the excursion to that other continent which name eludes me at the moment.

Im trying to cook up my canon Dragonborn right now, though I am having some decision issues... Im sure ill get around to it eventually.
    • 1595 posts
    January 21, 2015 2:49 AM EST

It's like the Talos thing isn't it? All these you create characters are just parts of an oversoul which is the player.

• 1217 posts
    January 21, 2015 10:19 AM EST
    Heh, very probably, yes.
  • January 24, 2015 10:45 PM EST

I got into Elder Scrolls pretty late in the game. I started playing Oblivian a few years before Skyrim came out. My cannon CoC would be an orc/nord hybrid named Ulgert the Fair. He was a blond orc who was looked down on by other orcs for his mixed parentage and his soft heart.  I actually played him as a bit thuggish at first till I got the Battlehorn Castle DLC. After he saved the castle he became kinder and more noble. I even switched from hammers to a mace and shield just so he could display his crest. None of this was planned, it just sort of fell into place. 

My cannon DB is a blonde orc named Gurak Battlehorn, the descendant of Ulgert who uses much the same skill set. He's a good guy but rougher around the edges. Ulgert's story was about an orc finding his noblity whereas Gurak's story was about a noble getting in touch with his inner orc. Both ultimately were able to fuse the best qualities of the two.  

• 127 posts
    January 28, 2015 1:15 PM EST

My CoC was a magically protected, hammer-swinging bounty-hunter concept named Manlei Desele.  He had about seventy hours clocked in before touching the main quest, and the greatest fun I've ever had whilst playing a video game.

My Dragonborn is Idhea Desele, his vampiric descendant decked out in heavy armour with a bound bow, raining hell down on evil-doers.  I guess if I continue with TES, there'll be more 'official' characters for me, but we'll see.

• February 7, 2015 6:22 PM EST
    I don't have one, yet. The problem is that I'm very indecisive when it comes to character building; I always get five or six hours into a new character before I start second-guessing my choice. If I'm a warrior, I start to want to play a mage. If I'm a thief, I begin thinking about warriors. Etc., etc.

It's long been my desire to sit down and do a final, "Canon Run", but I can't settle on what I want that run to be.

The closest I probably have at the moment is Aesa the Dark, a Nord sword-and-shield warrior who joined the Blades, killed Alduin and led the Stormcloaks in the liberation of Skyrim.
  • February 8, 2015 10:58 AM EST

My canon Dragonborn is Gram. 

He started out on the run from the law when he came to Skyrim from Cyrodiil. He became a beggar, and a skooma addict. Eventually would join the Theive's Guild. Due to Gram being Dragonborn, he's driven to become the dominant figure in whatever he does, so in time, he becomes Guild Master, and then moves on the the Dark Brotherhood, same thing happens, he becomes the dominant figure. But he's bored. He decides to see if he can (not start over, but make a new life with the Companions), and along the way, he was captured and sent to Helgen. That's the only thing different with his storyline from the game. 

Gram is a giant of the a Nord, head and shoulders above the rest. He was literally bred to chase down dragons. He is stubborn, known to be vindictive, arrogant, and dragon-doom-driven to be the best at whatever he does. While not super intelligent, he has good instincts. He can figure out if he's being played, but he doesn't know to what end.  

He has carried the weight of the word, but it was killing him. His body was wearing out, so he became a vampire. He did it for the power, and so that, if he had to, he could carry the weight of the world again. But he feels unappreciated, worn down mentally, and he's broken now. He's not a hero anymore.