Forums » The Lounge

Some REAL avdventurer out there... or just fantasy warriors like

• 133 posts
    February 23, 2012 2:41 PM EST

This has been carnival week in Brasil, a major five days holliday, from saturday to ash-wedsneday. So I took my adventure gadgets: backpack, boots, gps, flashlight, folder, canteel, sportswatch, hat, etc. (they do make you feel like a real adventurer, don't they?) and went to a little riverbank house I have on Rio Preto da Eva (amazon hinterland), with the intention to use a kayak in order to explore the source of an igarape (affluent of the river) on the neighborhood. Well, I'm talking about a rainforest river in the the middle of the rain season, so it's pretty respectable, being next to a mile wide, and i really don't know the extension of its tributary streams, but in this time of the year they can be very long and are navigable by small boats. So I wake up early in the morning, eat a healthy breakfast (coffee, milk, bread, tapioca bread, eggs, cheese and tucuma) and embark alone on my exploration. I cross the Rio Preto (a one mile crossing) in a spot just ahead the house, then paddle on for a quarter of mile more and enter the mouth of the igarape.
    At this point I’m feeling a little like Sir Richard Burton , about to begin the search for the source of Nile. It´s 7:40 AM now and everything is quiet: no birds, no wind, the water still like a mirror, and above all, a sweet unsettling scent of some unknown flower. Now I don´t mind scary sounds very much, but the silence makes me uneasy. I go ahead and the stream tightens as I proceed into the igarape, the shadows of the trees bending over me as I paddle slowly upriver. I’m not very tired, but I’m sweating a lot, so I take a pause to drink a sip. When I relax I notice my left shoulder aches and I feel a burning sensation in the left side of my breasts, just below my heart.
    Now, I’m not saying I’m a hypochondriac, but I suffer from high blood pressure and I do happen to be a bit over conscious about my heart condition. So, despite having taken my pills regularly over breakfast, I’m getting a little worried. I make a stop just to be sure everything is all right, and to assess the sources of the pain and the burn. Well, the pain in the left shoulder is no mystery – it kind of makes sense considering I’m dealing with a overweight, sedentary, 47 years body who has just paddled almost three miles - but the burn.... now, that is worrying! So I wait, I exercise my arms, I inhale and exhale, I press my breast and abdomen, I cough, I make a complete check up on myself, and finally, relief...! I discover the source of the burning sensation is more about the luxurious breakfast I had, than about my poor sick heart. Well, we all know the cure for that, so I searched for a strip of sand on the margins and took care of business. Of course, after that, everything became a little anticlimactic, so I decided to go back, having failed, as I kind of expected, my original intent, and yet I felt some pride on the thought that, somehow, I had left my mark on the place.
    Now, why do I do those stupid things? Well, I’m a male and we’re entitled to do that sort of thing once in a while, because of the testosterone stuff and all. It’s like those ill tempered women with their mysterious cycles (I’m not just being prejudiced, I happen to know some women who use those excuses). But I’m also painfully aware that I’m just a urban, over civilized, a little neurotic sort of guy, mostly harmless, who has not the fiber to seek real danger just for kicks or even for some higher value.
    The point being I have read a lot of comments on two of the hottest discussions on the forum section :“What time and place do you call home?” and “Would you be your character if you ended up in the game?”, posted by people who wish they were living in a more adventurous time, or who claim they would be killing dragons if they were miraculously transported into the Skyrim universe. Now we know there´s enough dangers and villains in this time and this universe for a lifetime of adventure, and I´d like to know what real adventure have you lived. In what dangerous situation have you entered willingly?

• 21 posts
    February 23, 2012 4:09 PM EST

Believe it or not, I'd still go to Skyrim in a shot - the idea I could go to a temple and get cured of a disease sort of appeals, but I digress.

Fantasy adventure is a kick, but it isn't a huge stretch to think people couldn't reach for that sort of thing here and now, because for Skyrim, magic and swords are actually rather commonplace.  It's amazing what people can get used to.  In my Well Spent Youth I have ridden trains across the US, bowhunted with Lakotah, participated in equestrian archery, learned to fight with a quarterstaff under the tutelage of the Unknown Knight (back when women weren't allowed to "crossdress" as it's put in re-enactment - the Unknown Knight was a woman).  I've had hicks in Montana point guns at me for being multiracial and in the wrong place, at the wrong time.  I've been in more situations than I could possibly describe without writing it as pieces of fiction because, quite honestly, people wouldn't believe that sort of thing could happen in the "real world".  It's one of the reasons I turned to writing.

So I guess, if I have any claim to fame nowadays after currently being trapped in this rather borked body is that I can grin a bit like many older women do - because we know where we've been, and it would probably shock people.

• 133 posts
    February 23, 2012 5:01 PM EST

I'm an archer also, recurve bow only, but i've never bowhunted, nor have i ever mounted a horse. I have this picture of a young nude darkskinned hugebreasted amazon warrior shoting her bow from the top of her horse - it's a well known legend for the origin of the name of the Amazon river - and i should say i visualized this picture when you mentioned equestrian archery. You're right, of course people can adapt, and have adapted to almost anything in this place, except living underwater, in space, or in peace. But once you adapt it's hardly an adventure, it's just your old ordinary life again. I know people who hunt caymans, who live alone in the jungle, who paddle three days to get in lake for fishing, who kill people for living, but they're not adventurers in any way, and probably would be offended if i called them so.