Forums » Elder Scrolls

Has your character ever been prejudiced, and if so, to who or wh

• 1441 posts
    April 24, 2014 3:12 PM EDT
    Basically, have you ever played your character as being distrusting, or, if applicable, racist to something or someone in the TES games? Personally, no, though I do have an Altmer character who is distrusting of other elves after a group of them ate his parents when he was younger.
    • 661 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:21 PM EDT

Jasper Kane has, and will forever be prejudice towards the Nords of Skyrim, and the Vigil of Stendarr that reside in that province. He just sees these people as dim-witted, and too prejudiced themselves. The Vigil however, killed his sister, and he has never forgiven them since. 

• 1441 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:27 PM EDT
    Why did they kill his sis? Was she a Daedra worshipper?
    • 661 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:31 PM EDT

Apparently she was... But it was Jasper who really served them. Both pantheons actually. It was a case of mistaken identity. 

• 1441 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:42 PM EDT
    Ah, that sucks for Jasper. One of my characters hates the Legion. Basically, his dad was lord of Northpoint in High Rock. His father' old buddy from the Great War wanted his land. His men stormed the castle, and the Imperials fled, and my character hated them ever since. Another character, whose town was victim to a zombie plague, ran into a patrol who had gone to investigate. He berated them, stole one of their horses, and rode off.
    • 1913 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:48 PM EDT
    I have been prejudiced to magic users in skyrim, mainly cause on the character that did this, not one mage that he met was ever kind or non-insulting or wasn't evil or wasn't a necromancer.... Not one... And before you say "join the college", 1. Save from long ago that no longer is there 2. He would need to be a mage for this to happen
    • 1441 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:53 PM EDT
    Fair enough, what about Nelecar, or the Court Wizards?
    • 661 posts
    April 24, 2014 8:55 PM EDT

What about Neloth!!! 

• 1483 posts
    April 24, 2014 9:03 PM EDT
    Wylandriah, Illia, Madena, Runil, Atub...
    • 93 posts
    April 24, 2014 10:02 PM EDT

My current Orc thinks that the majority of non-Orc cultures are a bunch of pansy weaklings, due to growing up in an Orc stronghold. 

Some of my Nords are rather racist towards non-Nords.

• 8 posts
    April 25, 2014 6:09 AM EDT

Both my current Skyrim characters have their personal prejudices against other races and individuals.  It's part of what makes them a character and motivates their behaviour.

Garik is deeply distrustful of the Thalmor (The crows as he calls them), because they wiped out his village, and tried to hunt down and kill him.  In fact, he suspects they still are trying to hunt down and kill him. He will take every opportunity he can for payback.  

He also took an instant dislike to Rolff Stone-Fist and has already punched him bloody on one occasion.  But it appears that Rollf has not learned his lesson and I can see that situation ending up with Rollf having an early trip to Sovngarde.  Garik is being very restrained at the moment, mainly because Rollf has not been stupid enough to draw a blade, but he is just looking for an excuse to rid the world of this earsling.

My other character Malekith has a much broader range and motivation for his prejudices.  He is most particularly obsessed with the destruction of House Redoran whom he considers to have stolen his birthright and that of House Hlaalu.  One of his only personal hero's is Vilur Ulen who was the leader of the Hlaalu plot to assassinate the Redoran Councilor Lleril Morvayn, and whilst he recognises that Vilur was an idiot who failed, and only made things whose for him, and his ancestors he still see's him as an inspiration who had the right idea but just lacked the talent.

Basically Malekith is a character study of unbridled ambition and self-serving motivation.  He considers himself to be the last hope for the restoration of the honour of his House, and that nothing else matters but his success. Although in truth he would be less interested in the future of House Hlaalu, if he thought that he was not it's senior surviving nobleman.

In fact, Malekith will take a highly prejudicial view of anyone, or anything, that obstructs his personal ambition.  In his mind the end justifies the means, and any obstruction or failure is deserving of punishment.  

He even harbours a grudge against the Daedra Prince Mehrunes Dagon, whom he believed was supporting his claim to power, but who he now thinks either betrayed him, or was outwitted by his rival Azura.  To Malekith the details are irrelevant, the fact is that Malekith put his faith in Dagon and Dagon didn't deliver.  As far as Malekith is concerned a god that fails isn't worthy of his worship, and so Mehrunes Dagon is just another name on Malekith's black list at the moment.

Others in Skyrim may consider Malekith to be an evil character.  In fact, he has been designed to be perceived as an evil character, but he doesn't consider himself evil.  He considers himself engaged on a personal quest to restore order and justice to the Dunmer race, and to regain his rightful heritage.  

Why would anything, or anyone be more important than that?