Forums » Elder Scrolls

What do we really know of Atmora?

• 32 posts
    March 2, 2014 11:34 PM EST

I know that Ysgramor and his companions are from there, and that it is believed that all the races of man (besides the Redguard / Yokudans) were believed to be born from the race of men that came from there, but as far as I can tell it's a frozen wasteland that is very inhospitable.

I'm doing a little bit of research for a character I'm making and I'm debating having him originate from Atmora. But it would seem as though many people think that Atmora is abandoned. That it was deserted in the escape of Civil war. Now doesn't that mean that people were left behind? Surely not everyone would abandon Atmora.

I also read that there were expeditions done in the third era to Atmora and that's how the Empire has some information regarding it.

Elderscrolls Wikia states: "Expeditions to Atmora in the Third Era describe a place of permanent winter, with little life and no sign of human habitation.[5] Reports describing the climate before the freezing vary. The Songs of the Return series of books makes several mentions of "distant green summers"[6] and "chilling green shores".[7] Other reports assert it was never a temperate place, and as such the early settlers were hunters with no knowledge of agriculture."

I'm trying to figure out if would even be possible for someone to actually come to Skyrim from Atmora and attempt to blend in amongst the nords, and if not, what type of things imagination could stretch a bit to make the story serve my character. I don't want to break Lore, but I don't think the Elder Scrolls series will play much with Atmora.

Let me know what you think of Atmora, and where these information regarding expeditions to it might come from.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 2, 2014 11:39 PM EST

You could always make him a vampire.

• 32 posts
    March 2, 2014 11:42 PM EST

I read somewhere that Ysgramor led the inhabitants (Mostly the Nede) of Atmora to Tamriel because it was gradually succumbing to frost. As it remains now, Atmora is uninhabitable because of the extreme temperatures. Though, you could use that to your advantage in a build somehow, perhaps.

• 32 posts
    March 2, 2014 11:44 PM EST

That's true. It worked for Arch-Curate Vyrthur. Though the Snow Elves have a seemingly indefinite lifespan anyway.