Forums » Elder Scrolls

ES Next-Gen Combat

• 229 posts
    February 23, 2014 5:53 PM EST

Since Bethesda is working on ESO and new IPs, and because it's Fallout's turn in this Dev Pattern, I feel as if I can safely say that the next ES game won't be on the 360 and Ps3. Anyway, the jump in combat from Oblivion to Skyrim was pretty good, but I felt it lacked in some areas for me RP wise. Back in Oblivion, the Bow felt simple, and using melee definitely was. Spells felt like a secondary part of combat, even though it let you use weapons and the spells at the same time. Making spells let some people become gods because it wasn't well done. In Skyrim, they let spells become it's own fighting group, and expanded on one-handed, and slightly in two-handed. Archery felt more natural and was pretty fun, and bringing back Crossbows was a great move in my mind. However, when I performed those finishing moves in melee I noticed that you could do things like decapitate people with a mace which you shouldn't be able to. I also noticed when I power attacked using my left hand only with a one-handed sword I would stab in a fencing like attack. This got me thinking about how they could expand on combat in the next game since I felt as if they focused a bit too much on enchantments. I think they could make combat more interesting in the next ES game by for one, bringing back the much requested spear. Another would be letting people use the left hand they ignore in Skyrim for a more fencing like combat style, maybe allowing a parrying type system. Another thing I think would be cool I saw recently posted by Mason is expanding the lock-picking skill by allowing the creation of traps and locking doors. This led me to thinking about pick-pocketing, and how they added reverse-pickpocketing poison. They could expand on this, ranged, and enchanting by maybe allowing people to enchant certain stones and throw or reverse pickpocket them on enemies. Another small idea I had is changing the armor system. I think it'd be interesting if they didn't have a light or heavy version of armor, but just a base set of every armor type which you can change the placement of plates and leather on it adding more until it reaches a heavy status, or removing them until it's light. This would allow more RP and character customization, the plate and leather changing would affect where your character gets the most defence, allowing you and enemies to tactically attack and defend yourself. It would also be interesting (and very challenging in my mind) to allow people to create reasonable spells, (and remove them, Oblivion...) as well as mixing spells using both hands like in Skyrim. It would also help to have some weapons to have unique finishing moves, and make sure you can't decapitate people with a mace..

Anyway, these were just a few stupid ideas I had so feel free to disagree with all of them, heh

• February 23, 2014 6:38 PM EST

Giant wall of text!

I could only get halfway through

• 229 posts
    February 23, 2014 6:56 PM EST

Heh, this made me laugh, it is a lot

• 89 posts
    February 23, 2014 7:16 PM EST

I wish they would base damage on area of the body hit. Make me take the extra effort to get closer and ensure a clean shot, maybe aiming at the throat or other exposed portion, rather than sniping from forever away knowing that a leg shot will still do the job. And I want to feel like I hit something when in melee. Right now it's just like cutting air unless I hit the shield.

• 3 posts
    February 24, 2014 1:49 AM EST

Fallout Online would be awesome IF it wasn't MMO and like GTA Online

• 229 posts
    February 24, 2014 2:58 PM EST

Agreed, it would make it a lot more interesting than just slashing randomly at people.