Forums » The Lounge

Your Pirate Crew

• 12 posts
    December 4, 2013 10:20 PM EST

I used to be really into One Piece, and recently I have started watching/reading it from the beginning again and am working my way through the series. One thing that I always used to think about when I was reading, and am beginning to think about now, is how I would want my crew set up if I were a character. 

Since Pirates of the Caribbean has made piracy popular in mainstream media, I am sure a lot of you who maybe don't read manga/watch anime would be interested in this question, too.

What positions would you want filled if you had a pirate crew? Would it be a small group, or would you go as large as a fleet? What would the name of your ship/group be?

If you are a fan of One Piece, what type of abilities would you like your crew members to have?

And as always, if you were to run a crew in Tamriel, what types of people would you recruit? What race/combination of races would make the best pirate crew? 

• 249 posts
    December 5, 2013 3:19 AM EST
    Idk about One Piece and abilities but it'd be me and Vehlek Sain in a dingy. I'm Captain and he's oarsman because I freed him, of course. We'd pillage and burn one small village at a time. :)
    • 1913 posts
    December 5, 2013 8:59 AM EST
    The only thing I liked about One piece... Nami, Sanji, Zoro, and Robin... Everyone else could have dropped dead at any moment and I wouldn't have cared in the slightest (I'd actually be happy if Luffy died, he always annoyed me and was the reason I dropped the show)
    • 1913 posts
    December 5, 2013 10:07 AM EST
    At least Naruto and Goku could get serious in a fight!!! The only time I saw Luffy being serious was when Nami was stabbing her arm... Other than that... Can't think of a single moment.
    • 1913 posts
    December 5, 2013 10:08 AM EST
    And it is one of the top because the fight scenes are good...
    • 1913 posts
    December 5, 2013 11:23 AM EST
    Goku has spirit bomb, kaioken, destructo disk, kamehameha, fusion, and instant transmission... Naruto... I'll give you that...
  • December 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST

A merman, preferably a shark type. He's the navigator. I want a zombie  for my doctor. Someone that looks like Frankenstein's monster. For my cook, a Asian woman who yells in a foreign language when she cooks. I want these guys to have haki. The ship I use will be fast, smaller if need be, with at least a deck of cannons. I'd want at least 20 crewmen

• 249 posts
    December 5, 2013 1:07 PM EST
    He used Destructo Disk? And don't forget Solar Flare!
    • 104 posts
    December 5, 2013 1:12 PM EST
    Hmm. Johnny Depp, Steve Smith (football player for Carolina), Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Lawrence, Stoya, Olivia Wilde, Jessica Alba and Jon Snow.
    • 91 posts
    December 5, 2013 3:12 PM EST

Luffy and the rest of his crew got REAL serious during the episode in which Usopp got f'd up by the group that stole their money (can't recall the name). Luffy literally told them that not one of them was walking away for what they did.

Personally I like Luffy as a character. He's simple, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Overly complicated characters either tend to be very very good or they end up being completely Marysue because someone writes them into basically EVERYTHING. Plus who doesn't want to see a happy character for once? I for one get tired of the "dark and brooding" type.

• 91 posts
    December 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST

I'll have to think about this one... never really gave thought to who I'd want in a pirate crew. Interesting topic.

I will say that if it were in Tamriel and I was going purely for a winning team without considering the individual personalities or having time to think I'd have a crew of all Argonians for their water breathing abilities.

• 45 posts
    December 6, 2013 10:02 PM EST

I would be captain as an Altmer. My first mate would be a Bosmer archer with a sort of brisk ambition to always better himself. I would have at least four, but no more than eight Dunmer pyromages for the primary long-range offense. I would then have about five swordsmen, being Redguards or Nords. As for healers, I would have one male and two females of any race, with the male as the leader of this sub-group. There would need to be seven archers with shortbows to cover the mid-range in case any ship gets close enough to use grappling hooks. Then, my ship's only weaknesses would be from above and below. (there would, of course, be a lookout in the crow's nest, and an assistant so that the lookout would rarely have to leave his post) The crew members would be assigned military ranks so as to keep down disputes.

• 45 posts
    December 6, 2013 10:05 PM EST

And the women would be under my protection and care...

• 104 posts
    December 7, 2013 1:55 AM EST
    Depp - Quartermaster/Muscian
    Smith - Master Gunner
    Downey - Ship Master / Navigator/Musician
    Lawrence - 1st Mate/Musician
    Wilde - Surgeon (House.. Duh :p)
    Alba - Boatswain/Musician
    Jon Snow - Cook/Carpenter/Cooper
    Stoya - Cabin, er... Girl/Sailmaker

A very merry band of pirates I do say so myself.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 7, 2013 7:47 AM EST

I don't watch One Piece, not my brand of anime. My submission is for my Tamrielic pirate fantasy.

To begin, it shall be a fleet. At the least, two ships. A carrack and longship are both mine, the carrack being my flagship and longship for shallows and sailing upriver for raids, etc.

My fleet would consist of any ship I manage to take or wishing to join. I would look to take Nordic longships if I could to open up cities and territory along the major rivers that lead to the sea. In general, I'll take any lack wit that can swing a sword and pull an oar, but once I recruit enough men and women, I'd begin to form specialize crews.

1. A solely Argonian crew trained for surprise attacks and sabotage at sea.

2. A ship or two crewed and captained solely by women. A special point to make sure they're the prettiest, most buxom, have beautiful voices, and can play an instrument. Ships name: Siren

For my personal crew, I'd look for loyalty above all else.

By weaponry: 10 archers equipped and trained with longbows, 20 berserkers (orcs and nords) armed with short swords and axes, 5 mages at least one specializing in restoration magic, 15 skilled soldiers of mixed fighting styles and weaponry. I'm thinking a base crew of 100, that number fluctuating by season, overall fleet size, and specific engagements. The only race I'd probably prohibit from serving on my flagships are khajiit.

I'd stick towards the north, east, and south coasts of Tamriel. Set up base on an island off Morrowind or one of those island kingdoms between Tamriel and Akavir, might even pillage and raid Akavir.

• 104 posts
    December 7, 2013 12:21 PM EST
    Add James Hetfield for good measure. He will be our war bard.