Forums » Elder Scrolls

Character Build Deathmatch

• 17 posts
    November 30, 2013 8:11 AM EST

Welcome to the Character Build Deathmatch!

Each week 6 builds from the dark bowels of the Bloodworks are belched up and pitted against each other in a 24 hour battle for survival. The winner gets to live to fight another day, the losers however are served instant death.

This week the following 6 builds have been dragged into the arena for your entertainment!

Tiberius Septim by Ragnar Lothbrok

The Soulless Being by Apokalypsisisis

The Revolutionary by John James

The Atronach Mage by Ryn Corentin

The Town Crier by Swashbuckler

The Revolutionary Prophet by John James (??)

Any build that scrapes 20 likes during the course of the match will progress into the next rank and will naturally escape death.

Have fun reading and don't forget to vote in the poll for your favourite!

• 739 posts
    November 30, 2013 8:23 AM EST

Thanks Lex!

• 622 posts
    November 30, 2013 9:00 AM EST

I vote for the Revolutionary prophet. Something about it screams 'Eh' at me

• 1 posts
    November 30, 2013 9:20 AM EST

LOL! So the build with the most votes to be saved has the fewest likes...

• 485 posts
    November 30, 2013 9:46 AM EST

I feel sorry for John. Two builds of his competing in the death match at once. I personally think his Revolutionary build (Not the prophet one) was his best attempt ever at a character build. The special moves might have lacked any synergy, but the build itself was well presented. 

As for the other builds, most of them at least tried to do something interesting, only to fall apart because of poor presentation, poor writing, or lack of playtesting. The Soulless Being has perhaps the most creative concept of the group. Im actually working on a build right now that relies heavily on soul trap and enchanted gear. I just wish the author put much more work into finding better pictures. 

In the end I think I'm going to go with the Revolutionary. 

• 1595 posts
    November 30, 2013 10:20 AM EST

I vote for John James' Revolutionary. I liked that build when it was first posted and reckon it deserves more support.

• 739 posts
    November 30, 2013 1:11 PM EST

It happened last week as well, it's confusing...

• 194 posts
    November 30, 2013 2:12 PM EST

It was so difficult to choose between the Soulless Being and the Revolutionary Prophet. Then I was bummed to see how little votes the Prophet got. :/ I thought the build has a lot of potential for role play and tough moral decisions in a conquest to bring people together while choosing who goes down.

• 856 posts
    November 30, 2013 2:43 PM EST

I was torn between the 'Revolutionary' and the 'Town Crier'. I gave them both +1, but I voted for the 'Revolutionary'.

The 'Tiberium Septim' build needs more work. If someone is going to create a build based upon a TES iconic character, then my expectations are a bit higher than a 'normal' build. The remaining builds seemed decent but they didn't quite hold my interest; I may reconsider and give them another read later (for a possible +1).

• 856 posts
    November 30, 2013 2:49 PM EST

People seemed to think that 'voting' is enough.

@ anyone. If you really like a build, then you need to click the 'like' button for that build. It is the best way of insuring that a build survives. A build needs 20+ likes to get out of the 'bloodworks' and become safe from deletion. Even builds that win a 'deathmatch' yet remain with less than 20 likes, may get eliminated in a future 'deathmatch'.

• 739 posts
    November 30, 2013 3:44 PM EST

It's usually a no-brainer, I think we've just had a funny couple of weeks...

Sometimes when dealing with the deathmatch you end up picking the 'best of the worst' in the poll but none of them deserve a 'like'.

Maybe it's because I haven't included the infamous 'none of them' option, but I don't believe in that one...

• 70 posts
    November 30, 2013 4:13 PM EST

I voted for the Revolutionary (The Shaman) as it really seems to me like the only one of these builds that has the potential to make it into higher ranks. Liking this build also took it to Recognized rank so it will definitely survive the Deathmatch. The pictures really give a feel of what he was aiming for but I think it could be improved if it had some more screenshots, and maybe a Perk Spread image.

• C2
    • 8 posts
    November 30, 2013 6:47 PM EST

Had to give my vote to the Revolutionary Prophet. It was the only build listed that actually approached the game from a perspective I hadn't seen. With one joke build, one pure mage, and two "true Nords" I had to vote for the only build that stuck out. Concept is more important than presentation, in my opinion. You can put a ribbon on a turd... but it's, well, still a turd.

• 739 posts
    December 1, 2013 9:57 AM EST

The Deathmatch is over.

Tiberius Septim was the 'winner' although I'm still trying to work out why. It didn't get any 'likes' and is poorer than some of its competition.The Revolutionary however luckily was saved through sheer popularity and has moved to recognized...

We all know what happened to the other four...

• 179 posts
    December 1, 2013 6:50 PM EST

Just a thought: do we really need the voting option? It leads to some bizarre results at times and if a build really deserves to survive, it should be able to gain the 20 likes necessary.

Instead of having the poll, whoever happens to be running the deathmatch that day could simply announce that these six builds are being featured and if they don't gain 20 likes in the next 24 hours, they're getting the axe.

• C2
    • 8 posts
    December 1, 2013 9:04 PM EST

Yeah, but that's not as cool. Bad argument, but still. ;b

• 856 posts
    December 1, 2013 10:01 PM EST

I think people were just voting for the name on the TS build.

• 179 posts
    December 1, 2013 11:08 PM EST

That's a fair point. I've felt that the voting aspect was fairly superfluous for a while, and some of the voting results downright silly, but it does give some needed advertising to a section would otherwise lack it.

• 485 posts
    December 1, 2013 11:21 PM EST
    The brigt side is a build such as tiberius septim will never become recognized. But winning a death match clearly indicates that not everyone reads these builds before voting.
    • 48 posts
    December 28, 2013 6:20 PM EST

If everyone wants I believe I could take it down myself. It was my first, and to date only build. I am surprised that it survived this long and will continue to live on. Sorry if I sound like a five year old I am only trying to be helpful

• 739 posts
    January 17, 2014 3:22 AM EST

I've had a PM from Theodorus about a build being unfairly deleted. If you're talking about the 'Soulless Being' it died here in this deathmatch, it wasn't deleted 'unfairly' the whole population of the blog decided it wasn't good enough to stay.