Forums » Elder Scrolls

New Elder Scrolls Game Thought

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:54 AM EDT

I was thinking this for awhile, with 1/3 of the provinces already being used, (Skyrim, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil)

I was trying to think which province would be the best to go to next, and so thought Valenwood would be cool with the stories of it's nature and Migratory tree villages. I looked at the map however, and Valenwood is one of the smallest provinces, but right next to it is Elsweyr, which has had an interesting history with Valenwood, and is just as big. Put them together, and they're around the size of Skyrim, and with their history and different terrains I thought it would be a cool idea. The story could possibly involve learning whether or not the Thalmor really did bring back Masser and Secunda, which made Elsweyr join the Dominon. I thought it would be a pretty nice idea and was wondering what you guys thought.

• 80 posts
    June 15, 2013 3:58 AM EDT

I support the idea of combining 2 provinces into 1 game but I can't help but feel that people are setting themselves up for disappointment about the migrating trees in Valenwood.

I recall reading that they've taken root and are no longer moving.

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 11:24 AM EDT

Well, that would be hard to do, and I wouldn't hold it against them if they didn't put them in. Valenwood is still a supposedly beautiful place that I'd love to explore.

• 80 posts
    June 15, 2013 11:33 AM EDT

Yeah, constantly moving trees would be hard to implement.

• 80 posts
    June 15, 2013 11:55 AM EDT

It'd be annoying to constantly chase down a city every time you had to return to it.

Then you have to consider how would you make the animations for a moving tree. Would they make the roots look like spider legs and have it move like that?

Finally, there are the console limitations that might make it difficult for that many trees to move without causing some issues.

The caravans are, at most, 4 NPC that have tents that just spawn out of nowhere which makes it easier to implement but to move an entire city with all the NPCs, quests, etc not being effected seems highly problematic.

• 291 posts
    June 15, 2013 12:29 PM EDT

I think LOTRO, when it first came out, actually had moving trees.  In the Old Forest, they actually made the paths through the forest change at night.  It usually happened off screen so you weren't aware of it and couldn't see it, but suddenly, the way to the exit was no longer there and you were always pushed down toward the spider den to the south.

Something similar could be done for Falinesti.  It could move when the time changes or when you leave the area's cells.  This would give the impression that it's moving, but so slowly you can't observe it.  If you enter a building and zone into an "instance", when you come back out, the tree will have moved.

• 89 posts
    June 15, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

I think it will be two provinces, but rather Valenwood and the Summerset Isles. There is just too much unresolved storyline for the Thalmor and a potential second Great War that it just feels like we'll be dealing with them next.

• 80 posts
    June 15, 2013 12:54 PM EDT

They probably could make it work like that but I can't help but feel there might be some issues with it, more specifically with quests involving Falinesti. This is Bethesda after all and their games are horribly glitchy, so adding a moving city just seems like a huge problem waiting to happen.

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 1:33 PM EDT

Well I just hope Bethesda doesn't jump to after the war and say it was a huge, epic war lol.

• 360 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:36 PM EDT
    Plus its full of elves for us to massacre! It would be nice to have a questline involving the empire taking back valenwood and cat land to gain footing against the thalmor, efectivly cornering them in summerset
    • 6 posts
    June 15, 2013 3:06 PM EDT

I think we should have a game that takes us to Elsweyr and Valenwood during the Five Year War. It would give people a variety of environments to explore while also giving a decent plot. Everybody wins! Plus, I love Khajiit.

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 7:40 PM EDT

I think the story should progress like that, with you proving the Dominion didn't bring back Masser and Secunda, making the Khajiit hate the dominion for tricking them and rejoin the empire,then the empire and Elsweyr attack Valenwood and take it over.