Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is a Skirmisher

• Dyg
    • 16 posts
    June 3, 2013 11:00 PM EDT

So this is a question I've had a while, what is a skirmisher in Skyrim?

• June 3, 2013 11:19 PM EDT

light armor. light weapons. best for small fights. 

• Dyg
    • 16 posts
    June 3, 2013 11:39 PM EDT

Like two forsworn swords and scaled armor?

• June 3, 2013 11:43 PM EDT

Like the forsworn themselves. Duel wielding is more like a berserker I think. Not caring what happens to you. Skirmishers are hit it and run. Making sure they get out of there is top priority. SO, a sword and a light shield and light armor. 

But skirmishing is more mentality than anything 

• 485 posts
    June 4, 2013 12:17 PM EDT
    I imagine a lightly armed, quick striking, hit-and-run type character.
    • 856 posts
    June 4, 2013 12:37 PM EDT

Berserkers used a variety of weapons (not just dual-wield - you may be using the AD&D reference).  In any case, berserkers are a type of skirmisher.   The function of a skirmisher was to use hit and run tactics to inflict casualties and disrupt the enemy.  Then during this chaos, the 'regular' units (if present) would engage the enemy.

• 856 posts
    June 4, 2013 12:42 PM EDT

I agree with most here.  Skirmishers were light and mobile, and in addition to 'hit-and-run' tactics, could also serve reconnaissance  duty.  They often carried ranged weapons (javelins, short bows) in addition to their melee choice.  They would often be part of a larger unit, to disrupt the enemy before the battle, and then either retreat or engage the enemy, depending on the circumstances, when the main units hit.

By the way, Vix the Loremaster, has (or will soon have) an advanced degree in history with an emphasis (I think) in warfare.   He is very knowledgeable on the subject of warfare, weapons, etc., and can definitely tell us more.