Forums » Elder Scrolls

Mutiple Play Throuhs

• 2 posts
    March 9, 2013 2:43 PM EST

First time poster and love the game and the role playing aspect.  When making multiple characters any tips on not getting bored with the same beginning quests.  Appreciate any suggestions.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    March 9, 2013 3:40 PM EST

Just don't do the same beginning quests, like Ben said. Pick a direction and walk. Pick something different that motivates your character.

I like to find new hideouts that fit my characters, as long as there's a container that doesn't respawn (i.e. end tables and dressers) you can drop your extra crap there leaving you inventory space to keep adventuring. Broken Fang Cave in the plains of Whiterun for instance is a great villain hideout, it's strewn with blood and gore, has two end tables as well as an Enchanting Table and Alchemy Lab.

• 5 posts
    March 9, 2013 6:22 PM EST

I always try to find different ways of "redoing" the various quest in Skyrim. Bethesda left a lot of room to think outside the box as far as quest completion goes. Tim makes a great point, something Ive just started doing myself, instead of living in the same 9/12 houses in the game. Ive made my newest characters live in the various "safe"  dungeons around skyrim, here's a link to the wiki of non respawning locations  http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Skyrim-Places-Safe

• March 9, 2013 7:19 PM EST

I think the key is challenging yourself in different ways each time. What if you could only improve your character's Magicka or Stamina pool? I tried both of those and they were very fun and challenging in entirely different ways. What if you can't cast spells, or you can only use daggers, or you can't swim? What if the only way you could fight enemies was hand to hand with no enchantment bonuses or racial bonuses? What if the only way you could damage enemies was with reverse-pickpocketed poisons? Restrictions can lead to very interesting methods of play, even when you're doing the same quest.

My current favorite is restricting yourself so you cannot loot gold or sell equipment. Restricting your cashflow to leveled gold from quests completely changes what equipment your character can access and when. I use that and a couple other self-imposed restrictions and I have an absolute blast.

• 291 posts
    March 9, 2013 7:57 PM EST

I love implementing phobias that restrict you from doing certain things.  What if your character is afraid of heights?  What if they can't stand the darkness (must use a torch, too scared to move on without one)?  What if they're terrified of crowds of people?  Or places with no people at all?  What if they're claustrophobic?  Or agoraphobic?

Things like that really change how you play the game and where you're "allowed" to go.  Suddenly, that brazen warrior that was slaying the undead and clearing out a dungeon can't go outside or leave the woods because open spaces terrify him.

• 409 posts
    March 9, 2013 10:05 PM EST
    Like others have said try making the characters completely different and when you start to get tired of it play a different Elder Scrolls game for a while then come back to Skyrim and it will feel like playing it for the first time again.
    • 2 posts
    March 9, 2013 10:49 PM EST

wow, that is a great help. Thanks