Forums » Elder Scrolls

Save, alot and often?

• 426 posts
    December 23, 2011 6:28 AM EST

For a number of years now ive developed a 3 or 4 save system for most games i play as i hate having to re do things especially if i kicked arse and performed admirably you can never reproduce what you just did.

When it comes to Bethesda games this system has paid off immensly. So i continued in the same vain. I usually have a save in my home and once i start walking out into Skyrim itself i will use another save whilst im in the open world. Once i reach a location i will save over the latest World save outside the location im about to enter. Once inside i will use a dungeon/ruin save separate to the first two this way if anything goes wrong i know that i have at least a couple of saves from not long ago to back me up.

What systems or tactics do you use when it comes to protecting your 180 hrs worth of gaming?

• 77 posts
    December 23, 2011 6:43 AM EST

I just quicksave every 15 secounds or so.

• 739 posts
    December 23, 2011 6:46 AM EST

Lol, the most nervous gamer in the land!!

• 426 posts
    December 23, 2011 6:48 AM EST

Lol i do get like that in dungeons, 1 kill 1 save lol

• 342 posts
    December 23, 2011 7:10 AM EST

After nearly 2 decades of gaming (I'm not 25 yet) about of 1/3 of which was playing games that didn't/couldn't save your progress i learnt to play most games as quickly as possible so as to finish them in one go. when saving finally came around i only ever used the one save per game and its worked for me so far I am meticulous to check and recheck each save file before I write over it so as not to loose anything.

as for when I save I've come to understand when there will be a big "boss" fight and I save then same for when I hear the roar of a Dragon when I'm in the out doors.

• 10 posts
    December 23, 2011 7:19 AM EST

Actually I'm with Nexus on this one :P

I quicksave every time I'm about to exit a location (to enter a cave, city etc) and then again as soon as I've entered the new location.

When out in the open I quicksave every 20-30 seconds. For some reason, whenever I (for unknown reasons) forget to quicksave the game crashed 10 minutes in :P

• 773 posts
    December 23, 2011 8:23 AM EST

Experience with both Morrowind and Oblivion has taught me - the hard way - that relying on quick saves and autosaves is a faster track to disaster. A 'hard' save is ALWAYS more reliable.

My practice is to make a quick save every time I enter a new location, before a major fight or any time a Dragon appears. And of course you have three Autosaves as well.

But I still make sure to make regular 'hard' saves. Certainly before starting anything major I'll make a proper save, as I simply don't trust or want to rely on the notoriously flakey quick saves.

• 22 posts
    December 23, 2011 9:16 AM EST

I use a much less safe but a lot more convenient system, using only autosave and a manual save when I quit or with important quests.
    So far it only bited me in the ass once, when Lydia died in a side quest boss fight after an entire dungeon. Which was the first time I let her tag along, which caused me to think screw it... But I believe that's another forum discussion ;)

Anyhow, I think I might make a save on a USB-stick or anything like that. You never know when some bug on your PS3 might delete your 100+ hours of gaming. :P

• 81 posts
    December 23, 2011 9:21 AM EST
    I hardly ever save, only if I'm about to turn off. Otherwise when the game crashes I hope that the last autosave wasn't long ago.
    • 80 posts
    December 23, 2011 9:28 AM EST

Haha!  I just hit save every time I make some progress.  I generally save over my oldest save,  but what with autosave, the number builds up until I have something like 20 to 30 saves, and the oldest one was from several hours ago.  Occasionally I purge until I only have five or six.  

In the middle of a fight, I will save every time I manage to make some progress and then heal, so that if I die, I come back at a moment of high health, and my enemies as weak as possible.  In a boss fight with an elder dragon, I might save after every arrow, because they can kill me with a single breath if I am not quick.

• 80 posts
    December 23, 2011 9:40 AM EST

Damn straight.  In a fight, every kill or every time I come to full health, I save.

In the wilderness, I might save every few minutes just so if I am attacked and killed suddenly, I don't have to cover all that ground again.

• 577 posts
    December 23, 2011 10:42 AM EST

I think with PC, quick-save is alot easier than with consoles. Consoles don't have a 'quick save'. I miss that.

• 577 posts
    December 23, 2011 10:45 AM EST

Are you on PC? On consoles I don't think you can save during battle. Almost positive.

• 739 posts
    December 23, 2011 10:50 AM EST

You can do a hard save anytime you like, to quicksave on ps3 i just rest for an hour as i suspect most others do.

• 21 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:29 AM EST
    I do the EXACT same thing!  One save in a city before I venture into a dungeon or have spent a while outside, and one within a dungeon that I update as I go through it.
    That way, if anything goes disastrously wrong in the dungeon, I can undo it.  And the city-save is my insurance back-up in case I screw up a save-over.

Has helpedme tremendously in open world games, cause you never can quite redo things the same way.
    • 77 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:40 AM EST

yea, I save normally when there's something major going on or if I haven't done so in a while. The quicksaves are pretty frequent, but they are instable. I was able to lagg up KotOR once with just quicksaving. by quicksaving and holding the "w" key I could sprint forward a tremendous distance. It started off as just a couple of meters, then I could go from Anchorage to the end of the desert in 2 secounds. Eventually this broke my game and my party members wouldn't respond to ANYTHING on the last planet.

• 856 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:44 AM EST

I usually make a hard save before entering a new area, and quick saves when in that area.  If I have gone a long time w/out hard saving, I will go ahead and hard save.  I alternate my hard saves b/w two slots (per character).

• 80 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:55 AM EST

I am on an xbox, and I can save in the middle of a sword stroke if I want.

• December 23, 2011 1:39 PM EST

You sound like a daggerfall player. (never played Arena) I remember having one save for before I got a quest, one before I entered a dungeon, and one for miscellaneous saves/in dungeon saves. In Skyrim, I use quicksaves really, I'm pretty much like The Nexus. I save all the time when in dungeons and stuff.

Save. walk walk walk walk walk Save. walk walk walk walk walk walk Save. It's pretty ridiculous but It hasn't let me down yet.

• 26 posts
    December 23, 2011 2:36 PM EST

I do not use quick-save.  Got use to not using it in Oblivion because of corruption.  I do have the Auto-saves all turned on.  I do a lot of saves not because my game crashes but because of dying. :)  Also we do have sporadic blackouts here and for a while I was having problems with Windows crashing the game.  Windows still occasionally decides to restart my computer without asking me so I save often.  Hard save, not quicksave and also an occasional console save.