Forums » Elder Scrolls

Alteration vs armor

• 38 posts
    September 17, 2012 2:43 PM EDT
    After playing a character with light armor and a character with alteration flesh spells I feel as though alteration is not as effective despite perks and skill level in relation to light/heavy armor.

Am I missing something here or do people generally agree?
    • 162 posts
    September 17, 2012 6:02 PM EDT

Armour is indeed more effective in the long run, but if you want your char going around in leather, fur or other more barbaric stuff, Alteration flesh spells can be helpfull. The major drawback is the 1 minute duration. It's a real nuisance that it drops of that fast and you've to apply it again, which is very unwelcome during the thick of a fight.

• 38 posts
    September 17, 2012 8:01 PM EDT
    I feel like having an armor rating of 100 is better then having an alteration armor rating of 100 though...i feel like i take more dmg with alteration
    • 739 posts
    September 17, 2012 8:16 PM EDT

Your suspicions are correct Joe.

Both heavy and light armor have a hidden armor bonus when you wear a full set. The armor cap in this game is 667, the hidden bonus for both light and heavy armor is 100 when wearing a full set (so if you have a displayed 567 and are wearing a complete set of heavy/light you're at max ac).

If you're running a mage with ebony flesh (300 with mage armor 3/3) then you basically have aprox 45% physical protection (300/667).