Forums » Elder Scrolls

Favourite weapon type? 2h, 1h + Shield, Dual Wield, Unarmed or M

• 12 posts
    December 1, 2011 10:47 AM EST

What is your favourite weapon type? 2h, 1h + Shield, Dual Wield, Unarmed or Magic!?

• 5 posts
    December 1, 2011 11:29 AM EST
    I mainly use a bound sword in one hand and a powerful spell in the other.
    • 132 posts
    December 1, 2011 11:38 AM EST

I'm kinda torn between 1h+ shield and Magic. I despise dual wielding, and I like blocking too much to use a 2h. They're each fun in their own way, and useful at different times. Fighting a dragon? Dual charged Firebolt will set him straight. Fighting a small army of shrieking stormcloak barbarians? Off with their heads! BTW, you forgot archery, which is a perfectly viable combat style, though I don't find it as intense and fiery explosions or impaling someone on a sword.

• Jay
    • 12 posts
    December 1, 2011 11:51 AM EST

Is a bow considered 2-handed?  I choose the bow.  I have every bow perk, plus everything I'm wearing increases arrow damage.  My current bow does 155 damage, which can kill a giant in one shot with the 3.0x multiplier, and kill a lesser dragon in 4 shots, and a greater dragon in 6 or 7. 

• Jay
    • 12 posts
    December 1, 2011 11:53 AM EST

There's so much satisfaction in hitting a moving target with the bow - the "thwap!", and to see their bodies slide face down on the ground - priceless :)

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2011 12:04 PM EST

I've been playing my pure Mage Character (not even a staff) and Its been great.  I just got my conjuration to 100 and with my thralls I don't even need to waste time summoning fresh dremora lords (unless the enemies are too tough).  Magic and Magic Regen with the proper equipment makes this a viable option, much improved from oblivion.

With +250 % Magika Regeneration and plus 100ish Mana (total 550) its been great

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2011 12:06 PM EST

That's awesome, I'm thinking of making my next character a sneak type and would do the same. Bows plus 1 handed.

• 17 posts
    December 1, 2011 12:31 PM EST

2h - battle axe and sword dual wielding.  Also, a bow for ranged attacks. Sometimes a battle axe or sword with shield. I have not found much use for the 1h weapons.

• 6 posts
    December 1, 2011 12:40 PM EST

Originally I would've said archery, but now I'm totally 1h war axe + shield all the way!

• December 1, 2011 12:46 PM EST

Dual Wield fire spells at distance and a conjuration spell every now and then. When they get too close I change to Dual Wield swords! Astonishing damage! ^^

As for the armor I'm using full light armor enchanted with reduced cost for spells and some stamina buffs, except for the head, which is cloth to reduce spell casting! ^^

• 2 posts
    December 1, 2011 12:49 PM EST

I love using my bow for range attacks and then switching to the classic 1h + shield during close combat.

• 77 posts
    December 1, 2011 1:00 PM EST

I'm torn between everything. I find most of the types satisfying. Right now I'm going as a War Alchemist. I use Two-Handed weapons and bows. I use Alchemy to enhance the weapons with poisons such as paralyse. It's quite fun :)

So if I had to say an absolute favorite, it would be two handed. But, I haven't found any cool or unique two handed weapons yet...

• 11 posts
    December 1, 2011 4:12 PM EST

do not forget that the +250% magica regen, does not count, when in combat, that regen bonus from equipment and stuff, is only counted, outside of combat, between fights.

its a reason why i stopped playing my breton, pure mage..

• 11 posts
    December 1, 2011 4:15 PM EST

i have gotta say.. archery atm, due to me currently playing my newest character, an archer.. a robin hood type guy, with dual wielding when they get to close. 

• 708 posts
    December 1, 2011 4:18 PM EST

I would've said 1-handed and shield but I just can't get past my new archery/dual wield character. Dual Wield a sword in your main hand, a dagger in your other, get both ranks of Dual Flurry (+35% attackspeed) and pop Elemental Fury. Its utterly insane, you can tear through 4-5 soldiers in 1 second spamming the dual wield standing power attack.

• 7 posts
    December 1, 2011 4:26 PM EST

I use a 430+ damage 1H sword and a shield. I improved it while wearing a set of +smithing armor and a +smithing potion. During combat I wear all +1H damage gear.

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2011 4:30 PM EST

Thanks for the heads up, I wondered why my magic seemed so much slower in combat... looks like enchanting my own dragon armor (yes a pure mage in heavy armor) is looking better and better

• 10 posts
    December 1, 2011 5:34 PM EST

If you want a cool two handed weapon, try clavicus viles deadric quest. It gives yu a really cool 2H axe