Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lockpicking - Has anyone bothered investing perk points??

• 739 posts
    November 30, 2011 6:44 PM EST

I'm just curious, i havent completed the thieves guild questline so i'm not sure if it becomes essential during that but ive been able to pick master locks since day one (may take me ten picks)  i really cant see the need in investing points in this skill unless your doing some serious thief role-playing. In fact by not investing points lockpicking is more of a challenge and i find it more fun.

I'm just interested in what others think of lockpicking, so far to me its looking like the skill that i will never invest any perks in, on the other hand ive dabbled in pickpocketing and found it much more rewarding than in previous elder scrolls games and any other RPG ive ever played actually, so im not knocking any thieves out there.

• 773 posts
    November 30, 2011 6:50 PM EST

I know what you mean, I can unlock pretty well any lock with only - at most - three or four broken lock picks.

And there's plenty of lock picks around. I've currently got well over 30

• 33 posts
    November 30, 2011 6:56 PM EST

It is really easy. I'm head of the Theives Guild and I only spent one perk for it. And i have well over 300 lockpicks xD

• 708 posts
    November 30, 2011 7:26 PM EST

I don't even bother. With 30 skill I can most often open expert locks with no broken picks and master with only around 5.

• 342 posts
    November 30, 2011 7:28 PM EST

I've only gone part way up the tree to get the undetected, and wax key but other then that i haven't added to it. once you figure out the 'feel' for how the locks operate it becomes easy to get them to open plus with every blacksmith and a few random vendors selling one or 2 picks plus the fence for the thieves guild selling 30 each day you don't really run out of picks to break.

• 10 posts
    November 30, 2011 9:00 PM EST

I havent invested anyperks in it, soley because they are to easy, in my opinion. I havent yet completed the Theives guild questline, simply because the Skeleton key is rather useful. If yu just use that, than no, i wouldnt invest any perks

• December 1, 2011 6:49 AM EST

i found some of the later perks, like the one that lets you lockpicks never break, and even the wax key one, are pretty cool, but the first few ones on the perk tree are really useless

• December 1, 2011 7:05 AM EST

I found the lockpicking so boringly easy that I went ahead and downloaded the mod from Skyrim Nexus that just shows you where the "sweet zone" for opening  lock is at when you're on the lockpicking screen.  It was fun the first toon until the 2nd or 3rd lock in the dungeon under Helgen Keep, then it got monotonous.. just like it did in Fallout 3 and Fallout NV.

• 12 posts
    December 1, 2011 10:34 PM EST
    It's so easy, yet you need a mod to help you? Makes sense...
    • 132 posts
    December 1, 2011 10:43 PM EST

I never bother training lockpicking, either in skill or perks, in any game. I liked the one in Oblivion, it at least felt like a challenge even if I never broke any picks (except on novice locks, ironically). In skyrim, every nord and his dog has a lockpick or two secreted on their person, so even if you break them you never run out. Who needs keys, anyways.

• 8 posts
    December 2, 2011 6:31 AM EST
    I have well over 400 picks, I go through 5-20 on a master (depends on how tired I am)
    3-10 expert, 4-8 adept (why are they harder than expert?) and the rest one or two.

I put perks into it so I don't get caught... But with the abundance and my sneak skill... I feel it was a bit of a waste.

HOWEVER! I have realised I am (me not my character) getting better at it, after the first lock that moves I usually have the spot pinned and it is just a matter of moving to the spot lol. I can see if someone just REALLY couldn't do the picking but otherwise yeah don't use em lol
    • 4 posts
    December 2, 2011 8:17 AM EST

i guess bethesda didnt take in account of the player getting better. if they wanted to make it difficult, then they should have introduced combo locks. that would get tedious but, it would make it more of a challenge.

• 739 posts
    December 2, 2011 11:12 AM EST

I also forgot to mention how annoying it is when a chests contents doesnt reflect its lock level. After spending several minutes picking a master lock you want more than 110 gold and a potion of minor healing.