Forums » Elder Scrolls

Tactical Advantages/Disadvantages of Nord Ruins, Towers, and Cry

• 38 posts
    October 22, 2012 8:47 AM EDT
    Crossbows are cumbersome and take time to reload, best to stick with a bow, for lightning attacks... The best Offense/Defense is a carefully planned, swiftly executed one, that allows for "unexpected developments"...
    • 285 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:16 PM EDT
    Crossbows due to armor penetration and confined space.
    • 38 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:25 PM EDT
    They take too long to reload... And that gives the enemy a chance to breathe... I prefer the "Legolas" approach...
    • 285 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:30 PM EDT
    To effectively use a bow shooting out you'd unnecisarilly expose yourself plus Crossbows require little training.

Note: Skyrim C-bows don't take long to reload.
    • 38 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:36 PM EDT
    The last crossbow I used was in Morrowind... Yeah, I'm old...
    • 21 posts
    October 22, 2012 9:36 PM EDT

Then what are the purpose of spellbooks? It's to teach the reader a spell. Why fire from bows when you can shoot literal fire, which stacks damage and forces a retreat? 

• 285 posts
    October 22, 2012 9:41 PM EDT
    2 things, magic resistance and magical inclination. Not everyone can even preform magic.
    • 38 posts
    October 22, 2012 9:44 PM EDT
    I blew up Tolfdir, with my first spell... And, I don't have enough Mana... If SOMEONE ELSE wants to go Mage-ape, mazel tov... I'm an archer... My "weapon of mass-destrucion" is a Daedric bow with Steel arrows... Roughly 12,000 of them... I think I'll be ok...
  • October 23, 2012 1:43 AM EDT

Ansilvund:

Advantages: Light cover on the outside, easily fortified within with runes and lightly armored soldiers, nearby Shor's Stone for light reinforcements, somewhat close to Windhelm for heavy reinforcements and supplies, and as with many nordic ruins, plenty of space on the inside to already have frozen or salt-preserved food supplies ready.

Disadvantages: Somewhat easy to siege, though nearby steep mountains provide some cover, difficult to retake outside position once soldiers have been forced into the ruin itself due to the area of entrance being effectively a death pit, nearly impossible to perform guerrilla tactics from for the same reason, and while reinforcements from Shor's Stone will be quick, if a larger force is necessary for helping the position, Windhelm forces would take a considerable time to get there.

Defense: Position a few archers as guards (preferable to mages due to their ability to hit from corners and with arguably more accuracy at distance) and keep the rest of the soldiers within the ruin. Use spells to hold the opening as long as possible; destroying the sole entrance would nearly obliterate this position in and of itself in the long run. Keep heavily armored soldiers by the door for this part. If the enemies break through, the best defensive strategy would be to scatter groups of lightly armored warriors along the path; with the crevice-like areas within the ruin and the generally open space, mobility is more important than standing power. Keep the mages barricaded in the innermost room for a quick burst to repel invaders should they get so far. From there, either hold out for reinforcements, since the fact that they're attacking means that they haven't collapsed the entrance, or use conjured minions to repeat the earlier defensive strategies.

Attack: Immediately swarm past the light cover and deal with the archers ASAP. Position archers and mages around the entrance to bombard all but the mightiest who step out. Take the opportunity to set your own positions in a similar manner to the previous defense's to prevent reinforcements from getting through too easily. Then use assassins or heavy soldiers to try to break through the guards right behind the door. Guerrilla tactics would be difficult from this position due to the likelihood of a cluster*bleep* upon entry into the ruin. Therefore, the only real solution is to try to break through in the conventional way. Then it's a simple matter: Either proceed with archers and heavily armored troops to try to pin your opponents down and destroy their supplies, or more simply, hold (or if we're speaking in non-game-possible terms, collapse) the entrance and try to wear out their supplies. However, this option leaves the possibility of reinforcements showing up in the long term, making it more risky.

• 38 posts
    October 23, 2012 11:30 AM EDT
    Riften and Helgen can also provide reinforcements... Those locations also allow for a coordinated pincer from both north and south... Near in mind, ALL locations, in Skyrim are susceptible to siege... Solitude can be taken in a matter of hours... It is this inherent danger that must ALWAYS be taken into account...
    • 285 posts
    October 23, 2012 3:19 PM EDT
    Talos, you never replied to my strategies.
    • 38 posts
    October 23, 2012 3:38 PM EDT
    They seem geared towards a large, adequately equipped force... I could be misinterpreting, but I tend to focus on smaller forces, with varying degrees of training... I try to look for the "no-win" situations, and win... In other words, I'm crazy... I do appreciate your input, your proposal of using crossbows in the Skybound tunnel was good, but I feel it would be better suited for Valtheim Towers... I would like to test ALL strategies proposed here... Again, I could be proven wrong...
    • 285 posts
    October 23, 2012 3:45 PM EDT
    Only enough soldiers to keep them bottled up, for fast assault:
    x3 mages x7 archers x10 light infantry x10 heavy infantry
    -Note: The heavy infantry will be firing bows for the first assault.
    • 38 posts
    October 23, 2012 4:44 PM EDT
    If I recall correctly, there's only one path to the ruin... About 3-5 men wide... The tower across from the entrance could provide ample time to mount either an offensive or counter-offensive... It may be a suicide mission, but I believe it could be held...
    • 38 posts
    October 23, 2012 6:52 PM EDT
    Would it be possible to station units at Stendarr's Beacon to provide cover for Forelhorst?? Or Vise-versa??
  • October 23, 2012 7:39 PM EDT

That also means there's no escape routes if they get screwed over. I just like having reinforcements handy plus a relatively good setup for lightly armored defense on the inside.

• 38 posts
    October 23, 2012 7:58 PM EDT
    I need to find a way to test these... Using Bots AND Players...
    • 856 posts
    October 23, 2012 8:09 PM EDT

No escape routes will mean the defenders, if overwhelmed, will have no hope of escape.  This means that the defenders will fight with much ferocity - it is a main idea behind the death (aka desperate or killing) grounds in Sun Tzu's Art of War.  

Attackers should not engange this type of enemy unless the fortification is lightly garrisoned (then it should be attacked at its weakest point).  Offensive plan would be to cut supplies, leave an escape route for the enemy (defenders), and wait.  At some point, when supplies have dwindled, they will seek escape or surrender. 

• 285 posts
    October 23, 2012 8:35 PM EDT
    Another Fallback route could be Ysgramor's Tomb, if the Companions are on your side. It's formidable and easily held, though vulnerable to seige, I want to see an army that's willing to camp outside in THOSE elements for weeks. Plus, the companions will make great defenders!
    • 38 posts
    October 26, 2012 11:24 AM EDT
    Currently compiling "dossiers" of all Ancient Nordic Ruins, Towers, etc... Will be posted ASAP... I will also be posting "dossiers" on Dwemer, Dunmer, Daedric, and Ayleid ruins, as well as each of the cities and settlements of Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Skyrim... I'll need assistance with Morrowind, specifically Mournhold...