Fallout Hub » Discussions


Fight or Flight: RPDisc1

Tags: #FRP:Discussion 
  • February 10

    With Fallout 4, Bethesda brought a number of innovations to the game. One of the most important of these changes was the improved gunplay. However, with that change came another--increased focus on gunplay. No matter your opinion on the subject, you cannot deny that with the increased focus on gunplay also came a decrease in alternative solutions to combat. In older games, for example, you could often talk your way out of an encounter with high enough skills in those areas. Not the case in Fallout 4. In fact, trying to play non-violently can even break the game. Most of you have probably seen or heard of the series I will link here.

    So I have the following questions for you:

    • Have you ever tried to play non-violently in the older Fallout games?

    • Have you tried to do the same, or similarly, in Fallout 4? If not total pacifist, have you attempted to play a character that uses alternative combat as opposed to direct fighting (i.e. using the syringer rifle -- for another cool look at it, read here)?

    • Even if you have not, what does a no kills or peaceful playthrough change? What kinds of characters would have a motivation to do so in such a hostile wasteland?

     

  • Member
    February 11

    Oh my a pacifist in Fallout 4!? My word. No I've never tried, never thought about, and would never attempt. I did quite enjoy my playthrough that used some intimidation/pacification and the aforementioned syringer (thanks for the link!). But the fun part of that playthrough was basically messing with people's minds. Most of the time I was pacifying them to slit their throats lol. 

    It's an interesting thought expirement. But I just can't see going to the trouble...unless I got really really bored haha.

  • Member
    February 11

    Actually - this got me reminiscing about the one time I tried to build a pacifist in Skyrim. The Messiah started out pretty good. Calming people and sneaking a lot. Talking his way around some conflict. That lasted about 12 levels and Jesus started clawing the hell out of everything :)  

  • Member
    February 11

    Well if we don't necessarily look at companions as being a weapon of our own, then I feel running purely a supportive character with a buff bodyguard to do all the killing would be a viable/fun way to run the game without ever picking up a gun. To put it as an example for how it'd look on a character build, you could roleplay a caravan trader that provides his/her caravan guards with powerful equipment and use the charisma perks as well as the syringer rifle to add support. Now do tell me if this would count against the "pacafist" ideal, but hell you could even use the flare gun, synth relay grenades, or the minutemen mortars as ways to deal damage "idirectly". I feel as though maybe I've stepped too far out of the pacafist idea but well thats my two cents for ya. Maybe a trader build will pop up someday with an idea similar to this

  • February 12

    Mottyskills said:

    Oh my a pacifist in Fallout 4!? My word. No I've never tried, never thought about, and would never attempt. I did quite enjoy my playthrough that used some intimidation/pacification and the aforementioned syringer (thanks for the link!). But the fun part of that playthrough was basically messing with people's minds. Most of the time I was pacifying them to slit their throats lol. 

    It's an interesting thought expirement. But I just can't see going to the trouble...unless I got really really bored haha.

    Yeah, and the level limits really get to the point where it is even more impractical. But reading Madd's comment below definitely gives me some ideas.

  • February 12

    MaddMannatee said:

    Well if we don't necessarily look at companions as being a weapon of our own, then I feel running purely a supportive character with a buff bodyguard to do all the killing would be a viable/fun way to run the game without ever picking up a gun. To put it as an example for how it'd look on a character build, you could roleplay a caravan trader that provides his/her caravan guards with powerful equipment and use the charisma perks as well as the syringer rifle to add support. Now do tell me if this would count against the "pacafist" ideal, but hell you could even use the flare gun, synth relay grenades, or the minutemen mortars as ways to deal damage "idirectly". I feel as though maybe I've stepped too far out of the pacafist idea but well thats my two cents for ya. Maybe a trader build will pop up someday with an idea similar to this

    Ok that flare, synth relay, mortar idea is AWESOME! Playing as a sort of radioman or scout would be a cool way to experience the wasteland.

  • February 12
    I think playing as someone like Carla with caravan guards would be neat but could you honestly go very far doing that? I don't think that companions are all that great as primary damage dealers.
  • February 12

    John LeBlanc said: I think playing as someone like Carla with caravan guards would be neat but could you honestly go very far doing that? I don't think that companions are all that great as primary damage dealers.

    It would definitely be very tough, and you'd have to buy LOTS of stims, and drugs too, but the first few levels could be really fun.

  • February 12

    I'm thinking that after you get your settlements up and running you could just be a moisture farmer (Star Wars) and crop farmer and sell that stuff off to buy building supplies to expand your settlement(s).  Would only entail the minuteman quests and the settlers are your workers.

  • February 12
    I ran a pacifist, no-illusion Argonian thief named the Nightingscale for a while. Whenever I got into a tight spot, I'd plant paralysis poisons on enemies to make them drop or just run like the dickens with Histkin on. I got a pretty good ways through the game before I started to hit kill-walls (like ending the Nightingale quest line or having to slay a dragon). In Fallout 4, I played a trader character who avoided conflict as much as he could. This eventually led him to build settlements all over and set up a little trading empire complete with courier bots zipping back and forth to share resources. It wasn't a pure pacifist run, but combat was always a last option and resolved with all the overwhelming firepower a sickeningly rich craftsman with a dozen settlements supporting him can bring to bear. Walk softly, but carry a big stick.