Forums » Elder Scrolls

Problems since last update

• 4 posts
    February 14, 2012 12:39 PM EST

1. so today i thought i would start a new character. While waiting for the headsman to kill me the dragon continued to fly around and never land on the tower to stop him, thus keeping me on the block forever as it soared around like a normal dragon would waiting to get attacked.

2. constant freezing/lag, and longer load times with a possible freezing of my entire console. even when I'm trying to save. very dumb, making me unplug it and corrupt my files. my other games never freeze my console.

3. companions are always right up on me and sometimes bump me off cliffs or get me stuck in walls.

I'd really like to see these things fixed soon, makes the game unbearable to play . Has anyone else seen negative effects since the last update?

• 739 posts
    February 14, 2012 12:47 PM EST

Ive had the same problem with starting a new character. You have to start the game again completely and then the execution quicksave should work fine again.

Ive encountered much less lag since 1.4, not had any problems with companions but have had several freezes.

• 426 posts
    February 14, 2012 12:52 PM EST

My game has literally just crashed as it loaded from blackreach to skyrim. Dragons still fly round unless provoked. Other than that Its been good.

• 14 posts
    February 14, 2012 1:08 PM EST

The only new problems that I've encountered so far are self-inflicted wounds. I don't use many mods but the graphic mods I have are not compatible with the new HD pack. I switched off the HD for now because I don't want the look of my character to change mid-game unless I have an explanation for it.

I just encountered another dragon that won't fight last night. He flew so low over the hilltop that I could hear the wind so I'm pretty sure it saw me. None of the patches have solved that problem and I don't know if they will. I really don't know if this is a glitch or a feature so I call them lazy dragons. Sometimes a dragon will see potential prey but they won't attack because they just don't care.

• 4 posts
    February 14, 2012 1:33 PM EST

okay i'll have to try again. it just really threw me off that he never landed.

i get lag only when i'm trying to run sometimes. not really a big issue for me there. however, the freezes and crashes are what concern me, i don't want to ruin my PS3 because i have to keep turning off the power or unplug it.i even get them as i go to save and the options menu freezes and i just have to shake my head.

• 4 posts
    February 14, 2012 1:34 PM EST

ya i haven't gotten the pc version yet, but i wondered how the mods would hold up with the updates. im excited to see what people make now that the creator kit is out.

• 24 posts
    February 14, 2012 2:16 PM EST

Ok, same here, freezing upon me all the time. Even stopped playing 3 days ago because I couldn't play 20 minutes without a crash, and I was that upset. I was trying to convince myself to get a new console... I fired up RDR today just to realize that is working fine. I will give Skyrim a bit of relax, because I don't wan't to ruin the experience.

• 38 posts
    February 14, 2012 2:26 PM EST

This happened to me within the first week of the game.  What may have happened to you is your saves me somehow have gotten corrupted and are now crashing your system.  I tried a bunch of times to fix it and what ended up working was loading a save I hadn't yet tried to load.  If that doesn't work you may have to start over. 

• 14 posts
    February 14, 2012 10:26 PM EST
    Well number 1, happened to me the first time I played the game (release day), it was rather anti-climactic I must admit, especially when I wasn't sure what was meant to happen! But I just loaded the last save and pretended it didn't happen.
    Number 2, well, I'm not gonna lie and say that sort of thing hasn't been happening to me since 40/50 hours in. If anything, I think the situation has improved since the latest patch (for ps3 at least).
    Number 3, let's just say a little Fus Ro Dah shouldn't bother them too much.

To be honest, all the major problems with Skyrim (especially game stalling!) have annoyed me over time, but for such a great game and expansive work of art, I've overlooked it all in favour of the multitude of things I love about it. Despite the problems which are mainly technical, it's easy to see what they intended the game to ideally 'work' like. And, just like in a workshop or even forum for say poetry; if all the elements are there for a great poem, such as good, interesting use of rhythm, metre, tone, etc but there are perhaps a few errors or inconsistencies with the syntax, then it can still be appreciated (like we all do with Skyrim of course), but you just need to accept it for what it is right now, the original artist may never get to fix these errors. And to be truthful, for me, if they did fix all the random stuff, it would only be a little extra icing on this fucking delicious cake I've been having for the past 3 months.
    • 856 posts
    February 14, 2012 11:05 PM EST

I've had some bumping problems from friendly NPC's - they stay too close.  Fortunately, they've never knocked me off a cliff.   They have caused me to get stuck, but I'm on a PC, so I can used the editior to fix it.  Friendly NPC's should never be able to move us, rather we should move them - this concept should be ingrained in any development team - I'm sick of door blockers - this problem has been around in various games for 2 decades - it's time they get this right, jeesh.  Bethesda should've used some of the companion concepts from Vegas - it's nice to be able to tell them what following distance to have (among other things).

Game has bugged out on me a few times, it exited right to desk top.  This was rare, but now the frequency seems to have increased.

I've had some wierd effects with Nirnroots - patch notes indicates it fixed some problem with Nirnroots.  I had never had a problem with them before, but now I do.