Forums » General Gaming

RP: NINJA/ ASSASSIN

• December 22, 2013 12:10 PM EST

Ive been trying to play my ninja like character but cant really find the right mind set. Can some help me find a RP style and quest lines for it, thanks!

• 12 posts
    December 22, 2013 3:03 PM EST

Assuming the character in question wasn't born and raised to be an ninja/ assassin. There are a few cliche ways to get an RP going.

1.The character started as a thief: Great at sticking to the shadows you viewed all possessions as your own, and took what wanted without question. One day you stole from the wrong person(s) and they sent the dark brotherhood after you. After barely surviving you decide to perfect your trade. No mercy and no witnesses. 

2. The character was a well rounded warrior, and has a great sense of good and bad. After seeing the horrid conditions of the torture chamber at helgen and the public beheading in solitude; you decided to take justice into your own hands. "You could RP joining the DB or Thieves guild for stealth training, and vow to use those skills to take  them down in the future, or use those skills to further their causes."

3.The character is a lone ranger, hardened by the harshness of life. You pick off random bandits quickly and silently. Your name becomes a legend and a whisper, a sellsword of the deadliest caliber. There is no moral good or bad, just a mission to complete and corpses that were in the way. Callousness is the name of this one, you never have to think should I do this or that. If it brings you money it's good. If it doesn't it's irrelevant, and if it's in the way it's dead.  IMO the main goal for this one would be working one hold at a time, earn your name or your bounty and do all that is to be done then move on to the next.

Some simple and cliche starts for assassin/rouge/ninja builds. Unfortunatly i'm not all that creative but I hope this helps some XD

• December 23, 2013 4:02 AM EST
    Oh this has helped a lot, thank you!
    • 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 2:26 AM EST

Some historical stuff that I've always found super interesting were the reasons behind the actual development of ninjas in feudal Japan, and the skills they trained in.  They're definitely not your typical ninja/assassin role-play stories :

From Wikipedia:
    "Ninjutsu was developed as a collection of fundamental survivalist techniques in the warring state of feudal Japan. The ninja used their art to ensure their survival in a time of violent political turmoil. Ninjutsu included methods of gathering information, and techniques of non-detection, avoidance, and misdirection. Ninjutsu can also involve training in free runningdisguiseescapeconcealmentarchery, and medicine.[10]

Skills relating to espionage and assassination were highly useful to warring factions in feudal Japan. These persons were literally called "non-humans" (非人 hinin?).[11] At some point the skills of espionage became known collectively as ninjutsu, and the people who specialized in these tasks were called shinobi no mono."

And from the article on Togakure-ryu, supposedly the oldest form of Ninjutsu:

"...it was started in 1162, as a way of fighting in the war between the Genji and Heike (Taira) clans. The style itself would go on to be known as the origination of ninjutsu and its various fighting styles. Nishina was a samurai and a member of the Genji clan, which had been staging a revolt against the Heike clan because of their oppression against the Genji people. The revolt, however, was crushed and Nishina fled his home village of Togakure in Shinano Province to save his children."

• January 7, 2014 6:04 PM EST

Yah, I understand the history of ninjas whereas is practice in the art of ninjutsu. They were trained to kill and/or obtain information.  There are still moderate houses that teach the forms of ninjutsu but are less, bloody you could say. 

• 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 6:24 PM EST
    sure. but what i'm really interested in here is the political role - what would it look like to have a ninja imperial? or ninja stormcloak? or ninja thalmor? not just a ninja out for his or her own sake, or for the dark brotherhood, but for an actual political goal, as they were used historically.
  • January 11, 2014 6:18 PM EST

Ah thx for that insight, that would greatly influence the thought of the ninja