Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Worst

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:55 PM EDT

I also just have to throw this Cracked article out there.

• 1483 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:56 PM EDT

We can only judge other beings from our mindset. We can't really say anything about other creatures, except that they are not as intelligent and technologically advanced in human sense. Animals, fish, insects might have social and cultural level that we are just not capable to understand and measure with tools and knowledge at our disposal. Something, that looks evil for us might be absolutely normal and even pleasant for them. There is a movie - Unthinkable. It shows what humans can do, how evil their actions might be. But then you see that even the one who objected against all of this takes part in it. Now imagine thousands of years of acts like this. What if mantis females, when eating male's head after mating, do so to prevent death of their children? Can this still be considered evil?...

On topic, I think the most disturbing and evil things I've done in video games was burning Bob with a Flamer in Fallout 3.

• 1913 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:59 PM EDT
    Umm... Hmm... Let's see... I basically enslaved all of new Vegas, I destroyed megaton and enslaved many innocents for coin, I destroyed the rebellion and sided with the emperor and became his apprentice, I make rats eat guards while they are still alive because it is the slowest way to die in dishonored, I cut people into hamburger meat in metal gear rising without a second thought and I think it looks awesome cause of how cool it looks to cut the person in pieces since I am used to swords not really ever cutting people unless it was a decapitation... Umm, and I did the control ending to mass effect 3... Never saved the collector base cause that is just what they need... A human reaper... And they are the group that never does anything right...
    • 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:00 PM EDT

Morals are not instincts.

They are really roles of conduct we have formed over thousands of years, it still varies from culture to culture.

Some things can be described as instinct. Like not killing members of your 'group', as that would also lower your own chance of survival. (usually)

• 1483 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:25 PM EDT

Eww... It's definitely true that ignorance is bliss... 

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:37 PM EDT

That was just the beginning.

• 1483 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:41 PM EDT

I'm not falling for that! 

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:42 PM EDT

Read it. If you hadn't noticed, it's not 1 article, it's 3.

Go ahead, read them. Good luck sleeping tonight.

• 1483 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:48 PM EDT

Your first one already took care of sleep! I'm not going further! 

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 5:54 PM EDT

Probably a wise decision. I re-read all of them... suffice to say I'm pulling an all-nighter.

• 661 posts
    October 14, 2013 7:54 PM EDT

meh

• 661 posts
    October 14, 2013 7:56 PM EDT

Is it evil to kill evil people?

• 127 posts
    October 15, 2013 5:46 AM EDT

The most evil thing I've done is child abuse.

Although, when a kid runs up to you and asks you to turn them invisible and you have a lightning rune in one hand, you try to resist the same temptation I had.

"Wow, are you doing magic?  Can you turn me invisible?"

"Sure thing kid."  BAM!

Kid knocked out, Nazeem dead on one side, half the health of a guard gone on the other.  Total: 1120 bounty.

• 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 7:36 AM EDT

I don't mean to spark a debate, but I think someone should put forward the Christian view of morality. God created mankind and gave us the knowledge of good and evil. That is what differentiates us from animals. So no, animals don't have a sense of morality. That doesn't necessarily mean that they don't feel some primitive emotions such as affection or anger.

• 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 8:06 AM EDT

There is an easy way not to spark a debate. If non-Christians practiced the tolerance they advocate, then you would just let me state my view and move on. I'm happy to debate if anyone wants to, but don't tell me that stating my view is forcing people to adopt it. I'm doing only what everyone else has done who has posted in this topic.

• 17 posts
    October 15, 2013 8:48 AM EDT

Oh yeah also stabbing that guy in the locker on that underwater station on Manaan in Knights of the Old Republic 1... really made me feel bad.

• 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 9:08 AM EDT

The obvious problem with this is that "people" think totally different things about what is good/evil. 

• 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 9:09 AM EDT

I'm trying to think about what the worst thing I've done in a game is. I've killed tens of thousands of American soldiers in COD over the years. I've murdered children and women in Skyrim.

• 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 9:48 AM EDT

If you mean what you say, then there is no standard for good and evil. That is only a short step from saying that since morality is relative, anyone can do anything he wants. Is that really where you want to go?

• October 15, 2013 10:24 AM EDT
    Nay, the Nine Divines suck. The Yokudan pantheon is superior to that useless compilation of racial gods built upon by the idea of 'everyone gets one.'
    • 490 posts
    October 15, 2013 10:29 AM EDT
    Anyone CAN do anything he or she wants. That is the reality of the world we live in. Will they? Depends on choices and recognition of consequences of the actions among society.
    • 490 posts
    October 15, 2013 10:32 AM EDT
    I see your point here, but I argue all religion based morality systems can be produced purely by secular means. Christianity is sometimes seen as a "divine command" morality, such as some may say killing your dog because god said so makes it morally good. That's just some people I have spoken to.
  • October 15, 2013 10:34 AM EDT

The most evil thing I've done in a videogame is that level on modern warfare 2 where you have to go into the airport and mow down people with heavy machine guns. There was a...thrill to it. Yeah, an adrenaline rush in the act.  

• 490 posts
    October 15, 2013 10:35 AM EDT
    You Crown, you...
    • 62 posts
    October 15, 2013 10:39 AM EDT
    Sorry, I should have used "may". Why, though, should a society punish or reward certain actions, if those actions don't have some inherant value?