Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Companions Dissapointed

• 14 posts
    March 16, 2013 2:41 AM EDT

Am I the only one who found most of the factions in Skyrim lacking? Mostly the Companions, considering their history I think they could have gone into a much deeper story line involving the Falmer. When I play the   companions I just feel like I am fighting guys who if I had the choice I would join because I don't really care for being a werewolf. I did not feel for any of the characters and it just felt....lacking. 

• 168 posts
    March 16, 2013 4:07 PM EDT
    I like the companions, much more than any other joinable factions we have. But I didn't like being forced to become a werewolf. Thee storyline should've been better, it seems Beth spent too much time on the stupid thieves guild, and I don't even like any of those guild members!
    The silver hand would've felt as a bigger threat if they had their own armor instead of looking like bandits with swords.
    All of the factions are lacking.
    • 14 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:05 AM EDT

I agree the silver hand just seemed unorganized and as you said just a group of bandits. The fight just did not seem important enough I guess. While the thieves guild was "epic' in its own rite, it didn't feel too much like a thieves guild. Not too much stealing, or any kind of blood price. Maybe I just miss Oblivion's factions.

• 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:07 AM EDT
    I love the thieves guild and think it is the best faction quest line in the game. Followed by the college, followed by the dark brotherhood (it felt tedious... A lot...), finally leaving the companions at the worst faction quest line
    • 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:10 AM EDT
    "Not too much stealing"... Did you and I play the same game? We must not have, cause you steal a lot in the thieves guild... How else do you become guildmaster? Plus the stones of Barenziah, plus the crown of Barenziah, plus the larceny tear gets during each quest for the thieves guild storyline... That was a lot of thievery
    • 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:19 AM EDT
    The Companions had so much potential... It just seems like they rushed this quest line. If they gave you an option to not accept the beast blood (I don't call that true lycanthropy cause not even the members of the companions call it lycanthropy), and because of that, your guild is constantly attacked by the silver hand, your guild is getting weaker and weaker, members are dying, and you are given the power once again, though this time it is to protect your guild/family
    • 952 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:33 AM EDT

In Oblivion you had to steal for thousands of Septims worth of stuff before being able to continue quest lines. It also had more big heists than Skyrim.

• 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 11:41 AM EDT
    Still, "Not too much stealing"... No, just no (didn't like the thrives guild in oblivion a lot, too much of a Robin Hood clone
    • 118 posts
    March 17, 2013 12:26 PM EDT

I feel they went the wrong direction with the companions. When you look at the other guilds (mage, thieves, brotherhood, etc) they all delve into the history of their respective guilds (some more than others) but the companions barely touch on their lineage outside of a few dialogue options; you reassemble wuuthrad but thats almost an afterthought. The entire questline revolves around being a werewolf (as mentioned, this should have been optional) which itself has absolutely nothing to do with the history of the companions.

The first time i played skyrim i chose to play as a nord twohander (in the thematic spirit of the game) and immediately joined the companions thinking it was going to be a huge part of the game. The entire secondary storyline of skyrim is about the civil war, the stormcloaks fighting over religious freedom ultimately against the elven thalmor. This backdrop is the perfect setting for a companions quest line, Ysgramor and the 500 drive the elves out of skyrim and become nord heros, using the legendary Wuuthrad. They could have woven the guild quest line aroung the civil war and have really explored the history of skyrim and the companions, perhaps delving into the philosophical debate of whether the companions were truly heros or genocidal/wrong (centered around saarthal and the night of tears). Instead we get a quest line about the companions being werewolves and debating if it's a curse or not (is this the hunter's guild now?).

I always felt there should have been a seperate quest line for lycanthropy (hello hunting guild!) and the companions should have been about the history of skyrim and the nord people.

P.S.

And why not include Yngol's tomb (and helm) into the quest line...and if i recall you dont even visit windhelm during the quest line, the city allegedly built by ysgramor himself (see how the civil war could have been tied in well?)

So very dissapointing

• 118 posts
    March 17, 2013 1:25 PM EDT

honestly, not using the lunar forge for anything (hell, the enchant doesn't even work on PC) is bad judgement...and not incorporating it into a werewolf storyline is borderline criminal.  I didn't even think about it but you're totally correct, it could have been an excellent addition. 

The Comapnions home is built around the skyforge (don't get me started on them not creating a storyline that includes this awesome bit of lore) and the companion's arch enemy, the silverhand, could have built their fortress around the lunar forge and used it's special properties to make them the best werewolf hunter's in Tamriel.  INstead it's just some random forge in the middle of nowhere that is never mentioned and doesn't even work due to a bug.

• 159 posts
    March 17, 2013 7:02 PM EDT

Loved the comapions just hated being forced to be werewolf and even after your cured of lycanthropy guards still say about fur from your ears which is annoying  and I thought there would have been better rewards like yrsgramors armor or something but no but other than that the companions are cool and I recreated kodlaks face perfectly on my char using a website its aweome!

• 41 posts
    March 17, 2013 9:49 PM EDT

The companions are my favorite faction because they are the only faction where you can actually be a member without getting involved in they're quest line.

[SPOILERS] You can just recover the fragment of  Wuuthrad with Farkas and forget about them. They wont put another Quest in your "things to do" list as long as you don't acept any jobs.

The same thing is impossible with the thieves guild, or the brotherhood, or the college. You can't just become a member of those factions without hunting down the guild's traitor, finding a psijic ghost in a dungeon or becoming the Listener.[SPOILERS]

That's kinda useful when joining a faction fits your character's RP, but getting involved in it's main quest don't.  

• 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 9:55 PM EDT
    ? You only have to steal something from a lock box, and steal money... That's it. Dark brotherhood just assassinate one guy and its done. Winter hold college is the easiest... Cast one spell... You're done.
    • 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 9:58 PM EDT

You have to do at least 5 stealing missions at every major hold and then complete a special quest also. That's enough stealing for me.

• 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 10:01 PM EDT

I agree, you can feel the power of being Guild Master with Thieves Guild. You get all types of merchants, a fence, friends, trainers, a strong base and all crafting tools near you. Also you get respected at least, unlike Companions. Dark Brotherhood is also good but meh 'not-so-great'.

• 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 10:05 PM EDT

As I know you can get infinite jobs from Vex and Delvin if you're in Thieves Guild, unlike DB and Companions.
    Thieves Guild all the way! It has one of the best storylines in Skyrim, long but fun.

• 1913 posts
    March 17, 2013 10:19 PM EDT
    No, you can get infinite jobs in the companions and DB. the nightmother gives you contracts forever and Aela/Farkas/Vilkas give you quests spot do forever
    • 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 10:25 PM EDT

Companions is the longest for me. You wait for them to talk, wait for Vilkas to walk punch him one or two times talk to him, take his sword to Eorleund and also talk to him and then give Aela her shield then walk with Farkas... Even DB is more short. Kill the beach, fast travel and talk to boy, go to inn, sleep for a hour, done.

• 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 10:27 PM EDT

Oh yes I know but I was talking about just after joining them. You got to complete Companions and DB questlines to finally get radiant quests but Thieves Guild gives them anytime, right?

• 153 posts
    March 18, 2013 4:56 AM EDT
    Ysgramor and his 500 swore to kill all the snow elves after the night of tears.
    Skyrim is the home of the snow elves...
    WHY DIDN'T THEY INCORPORATE SNOW ELVES IN THE COMPANION'S QUESTLINE?
    • 153 posts
    March 18, 2013 5:02 AM EDT
    In the college you get a radiant quest in which u have to use the *SPOILERS* staff of Magnus to close focal points caused by the ball of Magnus *SPOILERS*
    • 9 posts
    March 18, 2013 10:08 AM EDT

The companions were okay in the sense that they were the Skyrim replacement of the Fighter's guild but the storyline sucked. It was all about wiping out the silver hand, who barely killed any werewolves and were just bandits, and curing Kodlak, which was simple and anti-climatic for the last quest in the storyline. The only good things were becoming a werewolf, for disease immunity mainly, and having access to 5 follower trainers and two others who were not all that good.

• 41 posts
    March 18, 2013 12:04 PM EDT

No, no and no again. When you enter the guild, they give you a job to steal a "honey farm" full of mercenaries, with will put you in your quest to find the traitor. About the brotherhood I i'm not sure with "guy" you are talking about. And about the college, you cast one spell, and they give you a mission to go to an Ancient Nord Dungeon in search of enchanted itens, with get yourself in the main quest.

As I said, you cannot just join them without getting another quest in your Active Quests list.

Of course, you can just ignore the College's one, but you will not me able to find the guy who teaches Alteration until you finish the quest.

• 1913 posts
    March 18, 2013 12:09 PM EDT
    But that is the companions, you join them, you get a quest to fight Vilkas, fight him and get a quest to give Aela her shield, you give her the shield and then must do a job, you automatically talk to Tara's and are forced to do a job for him, once you go back and finish it you do another to join them... Which another quest appears for you to do more jobs...

So, your argument fails
    • 1913 posts
    March 18, 2013 12:10 PM EDT
    And if you are truly bothered with active quests, I have a tip... Are you listening? Click the quest you don't want to do when it's active, and it doesn't appear on the map... You no longer have to do that quest... Problem solved!