Forums » Elder Scrolls

Forsworn Vs Silver-Bloods. Which side do you support?

• 168 posts
    March 8, 2015 7:39 PM EDT

Enough of "Stormcloaks Vs Imperials" debate or something related to that. Let's discuss another war between two factions: Forsworn Vs Silver-Bloods. Which side did you choose during the quest "No one escapes Cidhna Mines"?

Both sides are pretty bad. It's mostly about choosing the lesser of two evils, never a good decision to make.

I had always considered the Forsworn as savages that needed to be put down. But when I did the quest "The Forsworn Conspiracy",  it was revealed that Thonar Silver-Blood is one of the most of the most wholeheartedly evil characters in Skyrim. When I learned from him that he used Madanach as a puppet to carry out his will, my mind went to Kolskeggr Mine and the mining town of Karthwasten, when the miners were victims of a Forsworn attack and then the Silver-Blood mercenaries suddenly appeared and kindly offered protection as well as trying to convince the owner to sell the mine for the Silver-Bloods. Same thing with Kolskeggr Mine, which is infested with Forsworn and I could bet they were there because Thonar ordered Madanach to invade it and then buy it from its owner. And let's not forget that Kolskeggr Mine is full of gold. What is better than blood and silver? Blood, silver and gold! Any doubts? And finally we have Eltrys, whose father owned a mine and was killed by the Forsworn. And who ordered the Forsworn to kill Eltrys' father? Do I need to answer?

But when I let to rot inside the Cidnha Mine, I found out 2 things: first, The Markarth City Guard are very corrupt and they have a deal going with Thonar. Yngvar says that when the guards make an arrest, they must check with Thonar first. Second, Thonar loves to frame innocent people to make them mine his precious silver and I'm not just talking about framing you for murdering Eltrys. Odvan, Duach and Uraccen are fine example of what a person with power, influence and money can do to others. So, I sided with Madanach because I loved to watch him killing Thonar, raising him as an undead and waxing the floor with those corrupted guards and I didn't have pity of the civilians that the Forsworn killed because they were trying to be heroes and joined the fight against the Forsworn. When a NPC asks me "Do you have any idea of how many innocents died?" I reply "Enough to make the Silver-Bloods think twice before sending an innocent to jail and dig their precious silver."

That is why I prefer Madanach, he's just the lesser of 2 evils. The Silver-Bloods seem almost as corrupt as Maven Black-Briar. The Forsworn have killed many innocents at the command of Thonar Silver-Blood. But my quest for purging the Silver-Bloods from Markarth don't stop here. I hand the Reach over to the Stormcloaks during Season Unending and make Thongvor Silver-Blood the new Jarl. Then I join the Empire and retake the Reach and let Thongvor to rot with Ulfric in Windhelm.

What about you? Which side did you choose and why?

P.S: I won't accept "I killed Madanach after receiving the Armor of Old Gods and then I got the Silver-Blood ring and killed Thonar next" as an answer. My question is which side did you choose and why? It's just like the Civil War. You chose a side and justified your answer. That is what I want here, please.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 8, 2015 8:19 PM EDT

I've made the most terrible, yet true, metaphor in my head. I won't even bring it up, but if anyone knows United States history of the last 40-50 years, it should make itself apparent.

I'm going with Silver-Bloods. It's easier to eradicate the Silver-Bloods than the Forsworn when the time comes.

• 41 posts
    March 9, 2015 12:28 AM EDT
    I have always sympathized with the Forsworn. They are like the stormcloaks in the fact that they fight for their land, but the stormcloaks opress them, pretty ironic I think. One thing I disagree with is the association with Hagravens. Why??? Because your ancient leader wanted to cheat death? Sure I guess. Let the old crow-women replace your heart with some plant thing.
    • 237 posts
    March 9, 2015 12:33 AM EDT

I'll be completely honest here.

I've always chosen which side based on the items I wanted.

• 253 posts
    March 9, 2015 12:41 AM EDT

When people kill and rob innocent travelers, they are bandits. When people kill and rob innocent travelers to "take back their land", suddenly they are righteous revolutionaries.  

• March 9, 2015 3:18 AM EDT

The Forsworn are hostis humani generis - enemies of humanity. What this means is that they have declared war on everyone who is not Forsworn...soldier, citizen, man, woman, child...if you are not one of them, then you deserve to die, horribly. There is no dealing with them, because there is nothing that you can give them that they want, short of your death. They may have been reasonable, once, but that time has passed. Even if you help Madanach escape Cidnah Mine, he makes it clear- you are still not Forsworn, and thus should walk carefully in the Reach. There is no peace, no victory except in death. They are like people who respond to a burglary by burning down the house with everyone still inside.

Compared to that, the Silver-Blood's organized crime racket seems almost tame.

• 1483 posts
    March 9, 2015 7:30 AM EDT

Given the Silver Hand tendency of using silver weapons and the Cidnha Mine being the largest source of silver in Skyrim... Connection may be there

• 4 posts
    March 9, 2015 10:15 AM EDT

I HATED this quest because of this decision. Up until now, I went so out of my way, even never going into Arnleif and Sons Trading Company, so Eltys wouldn't talk to me. I hated the choice. But now my mind is made up. I side with the Silver-Bloods. I do hate them. BUUUT... Thonar does run Markarth's economy, and while it wouldn't effect anything gameplay-wise, it would story-wise. Everyone (except the lower class) hates me when I free Madanach. And yes, Thonar does make Madanach send people to his death, but so does Madanach himself. He has let his own people die for him for more than 20 years, I think, just so he can live himself and run his little revolution, the spirit of it having died a long time ago. Plus Madanach is like Ulfric in his racism, except for natives of the Reach. And finally, they are genocidal bandits. Homie don't roll with genocidal bandits.

• 2 posts
    March 9, 2015 3:45 PM EDT

I hate them both, but I'd have to go with forsworn. I guess it's because the Silver-Bloods are the most boring pieces of shite on earth. 

• March 9, 2015 11:32 PM EDT

The forsworn are like religious people fighting for what the think is right..exept for the part when the rip out their hearts,murder innocent people and whatever else do but yeah..forsworn all the way

• 1217 posts
    March 9, 2015 11:54 PM EDT
    AMQ sums up why I'd choose the Silver Bloods myself, but I have characters on both sides. Do you think siding with the Forsworn as an Imperial would screw over the Nords a little?
    • 253 posts
    March 9, 2015 11:57 PM EDT

"Homie don't roll with genocidal bandits." -lol

• 1595 posts
    March 10, 2015 8:59 PM EDT

Another well written reply, I agree 100%.

The Emperor's Guide and the Loremaster's Archive will help dissolve any sympathies people may have about the Reachmen.

• 65 posts
    March 20, 2015 12:51 PM EDT

Forsworn Because I loved the escape from cidna mine quest when I joined Madanach and I got the Armor of the Old Gods then Murdered all of the Markarth Guards it was exciting and fun.