Forums » Elder Scrolls

TESIV:Oblivion - A Discussion

• 622 posts
    November 27, 2013 9:17 PM EST

Who still plays it? Who plays it more then Skyrim? I attempted to play it once but hated it (don't give me that look, I didn't know TES existed before Skyrim :P), but recently I've gotten back into it and am shocked that I could have ever have disliked such an awesome game and am a bit saddened that the classic RPG elements from it didn't get into Skyrim.

Anyway, discuss!

• 104 posts
    November 27, 2013 9:23 PM EST
    Feel the same. Miss the classic elements and acrobatics. Acrobatics was so fun in that game.

I wish they would have had stats in Skyrim to customize your character further instead of health, stamina and magicka pools.

The Grey Cowl was insanely awesome. Also miss the fortify spells.
    • 966 posts
    November 27, 2013 9:59 PM EST

Morrowind > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Skyrim

• 2 posts
    November 27, 2013 10:09 PM EST

i overall loved the game however i hate how you can't make an argonian look cool instead it's like a walking fish monster...

• 118 posts
    November 27, 2013 10:10 PM EST
    Played the hell out of oblivion; like Skyrim better.
    • 622 posts
    November 27, 2013 10:45 PM EST

My Argonian didn't look that bad, even if his head was an egg...

• 622 posts
    November 27, 2013 10:46 PM EST

Agreed! I always have a laguh whenever I see my partner's Imperial sneak xD

• 91 posts
    November 27, 2013 11:16 PM EST

Oblivion was fun but I never did like the look of it. I started with Morrowind so to me the Elder Scrolls is supposed to look and feel creepy and otherworldly. Oblivion is just too bright and vanilla fantasy for my taste. Skyrim sorta went back to the Morrowind look so I'd have to say it's more to my liking than Oblivion.

Also Oblivion's potato faces just creep me the heck out.

• 149 posts
    November 27, 2013 11:46 PM EST

I first came to know TES with Oblivion, but it didn't capture me the way Skyrim did. There are plenty of things I liked about it, but I feel that Skyrim did a lot of them better (animations, voice acting, skill progression, etc.)

It certainly does seem like many of the in-depth RPG elements in TES have gradually fallen off over subsequent releases. Still, most of those elements were just numbers... and I hate number crunching when it isn't integrated intuitively.

Role-play and power-play, for me, go hand in hand. Skyrim let me do both. Oblivion, less so. I couldn't play the way I wanted to in Oblivion without gradually lowering the difficulty slider. You had to know exactly how to go about using your skills and how much you had to use them to create a truly powerful character. That was a major turn off. 

• 1913 posts
    November 27, 2013 11:57 PM EST
    And oddly enough Jo was not hit by a sniper bullet yet...
    • 104 posts
    November 27, 2013 11:58 PM EST
    Yeah, Oblivion got ridiculous at higher levels. I liked how they used the stats though: Speed affects movement, endurance carry and stamina, intelligence magicka pool etc. etc. Gave a deeper build creation IMO.