The Elder Scrolls Online » Discussions


ESO Helpdesk

  • Member
    June 16, 2017

    OK, it seems like the best idea is to just crack on with questing, keep picking up resources along the way and then start with the crafting later on?

    That's going to be easier when I start subscribing to ESO Plus shortly, as I'll have the craft bag.

    Can I ask: do the crafting writs time out? In other words, the Enchanting Writ that I picked up last evening,will it just sit there until i do it - or will it eventually 'fail'? (I'm a bit obbessive about keeping my quest log nice and tidy lol)

  • Member
    June 16, 2017

    Paul said:

    OK, it seems like the best idea is to just crack on with questing, keep picking up resources along the way and then start with the crafting later on?

    That's going to be easier when I start subscribing to ESO Plus shortly, as I'll have the craft bag.

    Can I ask: do the crafting writs time out? In other words, the Enchanting Writ that I picked up last evening,will it just sit there until i do it - or will it eventually 'fail'? (I'm a bit obbessive about keeping my quest log nice and tidy lol)

    You can grind up your crafting if you want, as long as you're willing to buy the needed materials. But, you could feasibly wait until you reach later levels. Potions, food, and drinks can always be purchased at the guild store. There's plenty of options for armor/weapons that drop from mobs/bosses in non-group delves, dungeons, and world bosses. Some areas have better gear for specific character builds than others - but that's to be expected.

    Crafting writs, and all quests for that matter, will never time-out. You can choose to abandon them, however. 

  • Member
    June 17, 2017

    Thanks guys

    The weird thing is I stumbled on a Columbine Flower a few minutes after deciding to give up looking and get on with questing. Go figure!

    I'm going to put crafting on the back burner for now as I'm really just trying out some playstyles at the moment. I'm going to get Morrowind and ESO+ soon and then I'll be starting over with a character that will be based on what I'm now learning.

  • Member
    June 30, 2017

    OK so I have purchased the Morrowind expansion.

    So far I am really enjoying the vibe of being back in Vvardenfell, but there is one particular thing that is puzzling me. Obviously there is a new tutorial, but at no point does The Prophet show up and up to now - I'm probably 4-5 hours into the content - I've not seen hide nor hair of the old goat.

    Is there something I need to do to trigger him, or should I head over to my starting zone? Because at the moment, and I'm on a brand new character, I don't have access to the main ESO questline.

  • Member
    June 30, 2017

    Paul said:

    OK so I have purchased the Morrowind expansion.

    So far I am really enjoying the vibe of being back in Vvardenfell, but there is one particular thing that is puzzling me. Obviously there is a new tutorial, but at no point does The Prophet show up and up to now - I'm probably 4-5 hours into the content - I've not seen hide nor hair of the old goat.

    Is there something I need to do to trigger him, or should I head over to my starting zone? Because at the moment, and I'm on a brand new character, I don't have access to the main ESO questline.

    Yeah, that puzzled me as well, but I discovered it by accident. If you go back to the starting zone for your alliance (Auridon, Daggerfall, or Davon's Watch), you should see run into a Hooded Figure who tells you to see a mysterious Benefactor who has something valuable for you (or something like that). When you find him . . . .[spoilers]

  • Member
    January 5

    It it still possible to get the Breton hero outfit? I'm probably gonna get ESO soon and that specific armor caught my eye. Unfortunately, it seems it was removed from the crown store in 2016.

  • Member
    January 5
    Alas, Breton Hero is no longer available. Sorry.
  • Member
    January 5

    Tenebrous said: Alas, Breton Hero is no longer available. Sorry.

    Not even in ways outside the Crown store?

  • Member
    May 4

    I've been building this character to take on a tank role in group dungeons without sacrificing damage in PVE content and solo questing. I'm looking for advice on what I could do differently to make him a bit more heavy hitting and to increase my Stamina sustain without losing too much of his tank-yness. Where should I put my Champion Points? 

     

    The Poisoned Claw of Alkosh

    On the front bar is Sword and Shield, with:

    Igneous Shield 

    Green Dragon Blood (together for a nice, burst heal) 

    Choking Talons

    Heroic Slash (flex spot, swapped for Pierce Armour when tanking)

    Noxious Breath (flex spot, swapped for Igneous Weapons when tanking)

    Ultimate: Magma Shell

    Backbar is Two-Handed, with:

    Venemous Claw

    Brawler

    Rally

    Reverse Slice 

    Wrecking Blow (Flex spot swapped out for Rearming Trap when fighting Humanoid boss)

    Ultimate: Berserker Rage

    Rotation

    When playing solo against a Dolmen or World Boss, my rotation is to use Heroic Slash (to gain ultimate and debuff), Noxious Breath (DoT and Major Fracture), and Choking Talons from the front bar; switching to Two-Handed to apply Venemous Claw (DoT), Brawler (DoT and DMG Shield), Rally (Major Brutality and HoT), and the flex spot's Rearming Trap or Wrecking Blow. I let the DoT effects tick while delivering light and heavy attacks.

    Rinse and repeat, using the spammable Ultimate of Berserker Rage when Stamina gets too low (Battle Roar passive restores all resources by 46/Ultimate cost) or Magma Shell when really struggling.

    When boss goes below 50% health, I start using Reverse Slice for its damage bonus.

    Should I take Executioner morph instead? 

    Gear

    Five Pieces of Warrior Poet = 

    2 items: Adds 14-1206 Maximum Health
    3 items: Adds 34-2975 Spell Resistance
    4 items: Adds 34-2975 Physical Resistance
    5 items: Adds 14-1206 Maximum Health
    5 items: Gain Minor Toughness at all times, increasing your Max Health by 10%.

    Five Pieces of Defiler = 

    2 items: Adds 1-129 Weapon Damage
    3 items: Adds 9-833 Weapon Critical
    4 items: Adds 9-833 Weapon Critical
    5 items: When you deal Critical Damage, you have an 8% chance to summon a Hunger that spews poison to all enemies in front of it, dealing 69-6000 Poison Damage and Stunning any enemy hit for 5 seconds. This effect can occur once every 5 seconds.

    One Piece Domihaus = 

    1 item: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Stamina
    1 item: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
    2 items: When you deal damage, you have a 15% chance to create either a ring of fire or ring of molten earth around you for 10 seconds, which deals 11-1000 Flame damage or 11-1000 Physical damage every 1 second. Standing within the ring grants you 2-200 Spell Damage or 2-200 Weapon Damage. This effect can occur once every 15 seconds.

    Proposed Gear 

    I'm thinking of switching Warrior Poet to Shackle Breaker when I learn the required six traits because it looks like it will really help this character's sustain:

    2 items: Adds 1-129 Weapon Damage
    3 items: Adds 1-129 Spell Damage
    4 items: Adds 1-129 Magicka Recovery
    4 items: Adds 1-129 Stamina Recovery
    5 items: Adds 23-2000 Maximum Magicka
    5 items: Adds 23-2000 Maximum Stamina

     

    What set would be good for damage to take advantage of all those DoT effects applied to an enemy? I was thinking Unfathomable Darkness but the crows aren't very thematic :D

    Champion Points:

    The Lady = Hardy x13, 

    The Lord = Expert Defender x12, Heavy Armour Focus x34, Bastion x13

    The Ritual = Piercing x17

    The Atronach = Physical weapons Expert x26, Master of Arms x28, 

    The Thief = Moon Calf x25, Tenacity x17

    The Tower = Siphoner x15, Bashing Focus x15 (This constellation only perked for the Inspiration Boost perk).

  • Member
    May 4

    Paws said:

    I've been building this character to take on a tank role in group dungeons without sacrificing damage in PVE content and solo questing. I'm looking for advice on what I could do differently to make him a bit more heavy hitting and to increase my Stamina sustain without losing too much of his tank-yness. Where should I put my Champion Points? 

     

    The Poisoned Claw of Alkosh

    On the front bar is Sword and Shield, with:

    Igneous Shield 

    Green Dragon Blood (together for a nice, burst heal) 

    Choking Talons

    Heroic Slash (flex spot, swapped for Pierce Armour when tanking)

    Noxious Breath (flex spot, swapped for Igneous Weapons when tanking)

    Ultimate: Magma Shell

    Backbar is Two-Handed, with:

    Venemous Claw

    Brawler

    Rally

    Reverse Slice 

    Wrecking Blow (Flex spot swapped out for Rearming Trap when fighting Humanoid boss)

    Ultimate: Berserker Rage

    Rotation

    When playing solo against a Dolmen or World Boss, my rotation is to use Heroic Slash (to gain ultimate and debuff), Noxious Breath (DoT and Major Fracture), and Choking Talons from the front bar; switching to Two-Handed to apply Venemous Claw (DoT), Brawler (DoT and DMG Shield), Rally (Major Brutality and HoT), and the flex spot's Rearming Trap or Wrecking Blow. I let the DoT effects tick while delivering light and heavy attacks.

    Rinse and repeat, using the spammable Ultimate of Berserker Rage when Stamina gets too low (Battle Roar passive restores all resources by 46/Ultimate cost) or Magma Shell when really struggling.

    When boss goes below 50% health, I start using Reverse Slice for its damage bonus.

    Should I take Executioner morph instead? 

    Gear

    Five Pieces of Warrior Poet = 

    2 items: Adds 14-1206 Maximum Health
    3 items: Adds 34-2975 Spell Resistance
    4 items: Adds 34-2975 Physical Resistance
    5 items: Adds 14-1206 Maximum Health
    5 items: Gain Minor Toughness at all times, increasing your Max Health by 10%.

    Five Pieces of Defiler = 

    2 items: Adds 1-129 Weapon Damage
    3 items: Adds 9-833 Weapon Critical
    4 items: Adds 9-833 Weapon Critical
    5 items: When you deal Critical Damage, you have an 8% chance to summon a Hunger that spews poison to all enemies in front of it, dealing 69-6000 Poison Damage and Stunning any enemy hit for 5 seconds. This effect can occur once every 5 seconds.

    One Piece Domihaus = 

    1 item: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Stamina
    1 item: Adds 12-1096 Maximum Magicka
    2 items: When you deal damage, you have a 15% chance to create either a ring of fire or ring of molten earth around you for 10 seconds, which deals 11-1000 Flame damage or 11-1000 Physical damage every 1 second. Standing within the ring grants you 2-200 Spell Damage or 2-200 Weapon Damage. This effect can occur once every 15 seconds.

    Proposed Gear 

    I'm thinking of switching Warrior Poet to Shackle Breaker when I learn the required six traits because it looks like it will really help this character's sustain:

    2 items: Adds 1-129 Weapon Damage
    3 items: Adds 1-129 Spell Damage
    4 items: Adds 1-129 Magicka Recovery
    4 items: Adds 1-129 Stamina Recovery
    5 items: Adds 23-2000 Maximum Magicka
    5 items: Adds 23-2000 Maximum Stamina

     

    What set would be good for damage to take advantage of all those DoT effects applied to an enemy? I was thinking Unfathomable Darkness but the crows aren't very thematic :D

    Champion Points:

    The Lady = Hardy x13, 

    The Lord = Expert Defender x12, Heavy Armour Focus x34, Bastion x13

    The Ritual = Piercing x17

    The Atronach = Physical weapons Expert x26, Master of Arms x28, 

    The Thief = Moon Calf x25, Tenacity x17

    The Tower = Siphoner x15, Bashing Focus x15 (This constellation only perked for the Inspiration Boost perk).

     

    As you might be aware, I have two tanks and have tanked veteran dungeons (some DLC). I think I can offer some advice. First, are you planning on being tanky or actually filling in the tank role in a group dungeon? The answer to that will change things slightly. Generally speaking, tanks are hybrids in and of themselves. However, the problem with being a "tank" in a dungeon, as opposed to being tanky, is that you should be focusing on survivability and group utility. The more you focus on damage-dealing, the more you have to sacrifice survivability and group utility. Second, as for group dungeons, what are you planning on doing? Vet difficulty or normal? DLC dungeons? If you only plan on normal difficulty, non-DLC dungeons, then you will not have much of a problem trying to be a tank/off damage dealer. You will run into issues with vet dungeons, especially DLC dungeons (even on normal), and especially your lower CPs.

    SKILLS:

    Just to point out, you don't have a taunt on any of your bars. Heroic slash, while great for debuff/ult generation, is not a taunt. At a minimum, you should put Pierce Armor or Ransack (morph of puncture). If you don't maintain a taunt, you will constantly lose aggro of the boss/mobs by the DPS who does more damage than you (which will be both of them). Also, bear in mind that you do not have a ranged taunt, such as chains or Inner Fire (undaunted skill). Some bosses run around, plus it's helpful for those pesky archers.

    Because you should be using Heroic Slash AND Pierce Armor, I suggest dropping Noxious Breath/Igneous Weapons. Given how magDKs are being buffed next patch, it is very likely that someone in your group will be a magDK and run it. 

    I've run dungeons with tanks who used a 2H back bar. As long as they know the fight, when to block, and are cognizant of when thier taunt wears off, there is usually no issue.

    You mentioned struggling with stamina. The Helping Hands passive in the Earthen Heart tree is a tank's best friend. Every time you cast Igneous Shield, you will restore some stamina. The problem is that it costs magicka. I find that a pure tank will struggle more for magicka than with stamina in this regard. But, if you are spamming Wrecking Blow, you'll run dry of stamina quite often. Don't spam it. I'd run Reverse Slice over Executioner. That juicy spash damage will help with mobs.

    One skill that you might want to consider is Balance (morph of Equilibrium, Mage's Guild skill). It takes some book grinding but I really like this one. It provides Spell & Physical Resistance and trades health for magic (like a blood magic ability). You have to watch your health before doing it, but my high health tank has virtually limitless resources because of this skill. Stamina low? Not enough magic to cast Igneous Shields to restore stamina? Health good? Pop a couple hits of Balance, I get resistance and enough magic to replenish my stamina. The Igneous Shield, plus the resistances provided by the skill, gives me plenty of survivability as well as time for the healer to do his/her thing.

    GEAR:

    Warrior Poet is an okayish tank set in general. Believe it or not, resistances are not quite as important for a tank as is stacking health. However, for your set-up, I think it's a good option. Another option can be stacking health with Plague Doctor or Green Pact. Defiler is an interesting choice. If you do 5 Warrior Poet (3 jewelry/2 Armor), you could then do 5 Hundings rage (front bar: 4 Armor and 1 weapon or shield; back bar: 4 armor and 1 2H). HR is a better option than Defiler for what you'd like to accomplish, plus it will give you some stamina. If you notice, though, you will have a dead spot on the front bar. You could add another monster set piece to give you extra damage or resources. After Summerset drops, 2H will count as two pieces, so you won't lose out on the 5 pieces of HR on the back bar (Greatsword will could as 2).

    If you want to get rid of Warrior Poet, you'll have to find a set that will give much more health than Shaklebreaker. I use Shacklebreaker on my damage dealers in PvP. It's a good set, but will not give you enough health as a tank.

    In answer to your last question about a set that would maximize DOTS: VALKYN SKORIA. On a DK - meteors for days. 

    Just a thought, you could carry pure tanking sets and damage sets and then switch out as needed.

    CPs:

     

    Green Trees:

    I'd drop Siphoner and Bashing (as much as I love inspiration boost) as they do nothing for a tank. Pump up Shadow Ward, Arcanist and/or Tenacity, and Warlord (you'll need to break free a lot as a tank). Another to think about is Tumbling as you'll need to roll dodge out of the red occasionally

    Red Trees:

    Pump up Bastion for survivability.

    Blue Trees (based on your deisre to do damage):

    If you can spare it, put points in to Blessed (it will increase the burst heal of GDB). Put something into Thaumaturge to ramp up your DOTS. Mighty and Precise Strikes might be better than Piercing, but I'm not sure.